Eastern Gama Grass

letemgrow

PMA Member
Who has had success planting Eastern Gama Grass?????? If so how did you do it??????? I am looking for something that is long term, wildlife friendly and cattle friendly. This stuff can produce up to 8 tons of hay per acre per year!!!!!! Cattle love it also so I was looking to use it for dual purpose. Cattle and wildlife.

Here is a pic of it's regrowth capabilities.

regrow2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Who has had success planting Eastern Gama Grass?????? If so how did you do it??????? I am looking for something that is long term, wildlife friendly and cattle friendly. This stuff can produce up to 8 tons of hay per acre per year!!!!!! Cattle love it also so I was looking to use it for dual purpose. Cattle and wildlife.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always wanted to try it but never have. It's like corn...it loves/craves nitrogen and most people plant it with a corn planter.

Pretty much the same herbicide as corn also so it's expensive and more difficult to maintain then corn.

Neat stuff though
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always wanted to try it but never have. It's like corn...it loves/craves nitrogen and most people plant it with a corn planter.

Pretty much the same herbicide as corn also so it's expensive and more difficult to maintain then corn.

Neat stuff though
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have some growing wild on the property and that sparked my interest to learn more about it. I had read about fall planting dormant seed, spring planting stratified seed etc. Just wondering if anyone has had personal experience with this grass. Thanks for the info DT.

Here is a pic of some I have already.
277phils_pics_010-med.jpg

Back