Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Far-fetched?? IW's Believe it or Not..

I once went catfishing the Minnesota River near Granite Falls, MN. I was with my Dad and brother. We were in a boat anchored up against a large fallen tree about 15 feet from shore. Around 2am a pack of coyotes came right to the shoreline and never saw us there due to the fallen tree. Later they saw us and started growling. My dad was re-baiting is big treble hook and casted toward the pack thinking they'd spooky and take off. Well, the hook landed on the mark and hit one square in the back and buried deep! So here's my startled dad with his big cat pole and heavy line trying to reel a yote and the yote literally screaming and yipeing like crazy. After about 20 seconds of battle the hook ripped out big chunk of hide and yote, but to this day we laugh about it. Never will forget that!

Last edited:
My dad and I went catfishing on the Belle Fourche river here in SD. We initially were right down on the bank with our lanters and beer having a good time catching some fish. After awhile the lanterns started attracting all kinds of insects so we simply packed up and set up again on the bridge. The bridge is maybe 10 foot above the water so when one of us would hook something of size the other would simply walk to the bank and get the fish. All was going well and then my dad hooked into something big. I ran off of the bridge expecting to unhook a large cat or maybe a carp but what i didnt expect to see was a 12-15 lb leatherback turtle. I really didnt want to touch that thing and i was about to cut the line but my dad (with a few choice words) talked me into saving his hook. This turtle was hooked real good and i was actually having to pull its head out of its shell while it was pulling against me. Next thing i know is the turtles head dissapeared into its shell and there was a terrible pain on my thumb. The turtle and i were now one! I started hollaring and my dad thought the turtle was back in the water so he starts reeling and pulling on the rod. A bit more yelling and he figured out what was happening and came down to help. I ended up using my injured thumb to pull out its head then my dad cut it off. A quick snip of the hook a little pull and a little blood then all was mostly ok again. I now hate turtles almost as much as rattlesnkes.

A few seasons ago my hunting party was working a small section of timber. This particular piece works well as a bean/corn field runs to the West and a Creek is on the East. Ar the widest point it is just over 100yds wide from creek to field. I was sitting on a stump along the creek and could see a bend in the river directly in front of me and a little to the right. I wasn't there very long when the deer began to show up. Every deer in the herd ran to the bend I the river and stood on the bank as if weighing their options for escape. I could see two nice bucks were in the group and maybe 15 or so does. The creek was full and I guess they didn't want to swim so here they come around the bend at past me. I let the does pass and waited for the bigger of the two bucks to appear. When he did I dropped him with one shot in his tracks. After 20 or so minutes the party arrives and we went to admire my trophy. The first guy to lay eyes on the buck hollers "that's the biggest damn doe I have ever seen". Huh??? I get to the buck and sure enough there lies a doe. The scene looked like something out of an episode of CSI. There was blood everywhere from where the deer had thrashed around a bit. Than my dad picks up a set of antlers that were lying in the blood at the deers posterior. Sure enough the buck knocked his antlers off after I shot him. All the blood was from the two open wounds ontop his head. We did find a large growth on the rear leg and significant internal damage leading us to believe he had been struck by a car.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Top Bottom