Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Favorite smoker recipes

soil

I'm fairly new to smoking, and have really only done pork ribs so far. I've gotten to where we enjoy them when I fix them. I did one brisket, it was okay but too salty and needed to go longer than I let it. I was just curious what you guys might have as another good smoker meal. I've been thinking about pork steaks and also a smoked meatloaf.

Here are a couple rib pictures. My oldest daughter and I camped out in the ameristep 'tent' to cook overnight at my grandpas one weekend. She thought that was awesome.

4D77784B-8919-4247-BD41-D4FF4060DB20_zpsm4qprma3.jpg

0F923A7D-F91F-42E3-BF0A-6E14F9A71D7F_zpsrnjberf8.jpg

F12DF51D-2199-4162-94C5-BD80F777343F_zpszg9mzw7i.jpg

Pork loin is very good on the smoker. I just put garlic powder, onion powder, and a little seasoning salt on it and away you go. Then you can slice it and eat or put it on a bun, with your favorite BBQ sauce. Deer roast is good to, I marinate the deer roast with what ever you like. It helps to keep it from drying out.

Very basic smoking is a pork butt/pork shoulder. Very simple. Massage in mustard and cover with a good rub. Good rub has sugar for a nice bark. You could skip the mustard and rub and just lather in bbq sauce. Pop it in the smoker at 235-230 temp until you hit 190 internal temp. Depending on the size of your butt, it could take 36 hours. If your short on time, wrap it in foil and start it on the oven for about 4 hours on a very low temperature like as low as your oven will go. Then finish in the smoker. I have an electric smoker and must be the brand because at lower Temps, I don't get much smoke. You need lots of smoke for a good color. I removed the metal chip tray and put my wood chips in a foil bowl that I sit right on the coils, it helps a little.

The hardest part is the "stall". Where you get to like 165-175 internal temp and it just won't move. This is where the magic happens and you just have to wait it out. A lot of people cover with foil at this point or up the temp, I dont. I pull it out just shy of 190 and let it sit for a while to soak in a bit more juice and it continues to 190 outside the smoker. I don't know if it really matters though. Shred that puppy apart and enjoy heaven.

I haven't gone crazy with the smoker but whole chickens are great and quick. Also have done Mac n cheese once. It was OK, could have been better if I didn't use cherry wood that time.

Very basic smoking is a pork butt/pork shoulder. Very simple. Massage in mustard and cover with a good rub. Good rub has sugar for a nice bark. You could skip the mustard and rub and just lather in bbq sauce. Pop it in the smoker at 235-230 temp until you hit 190 internal temp. Depending on the size of your butt, it could take 36 hours. If your short on time, wrap it in foil and start it on the oven for about 4 hours on a very low temperature like as low as your oven will go. Then finish in the smoker. I have an electric smoker and must be the brand because at lower Temps, I don't get much smoke. You need lots of smoke for a good color. I removed the metal chip tray and put my wood chips in a foil bowl that I sit right on the coils, it helps a little. The hardest part is the "stall". Where you get to like 165-175 internal temp and it just won't move. This is where the magic happens and you just have to wait it out. A lot of people cover with foil at this point or up the temp, I dont. I pull it out just shy of 190 and let it sit for a while to soak in a bit more juice and it continues to 190 outside the smoker. I don't know if it really matters though. Shred that puppy apart and enjoy heaven. I haven't gone crazy with the smoker but whole chickens are great and quick. Also have done Mac n cheese once. It was OK, could have been better if I didn't use cherry wood that time.

190 ? I usually only do my pork loins to 150 , am I under cooking it ? Always seems plenty done . Just a novice as well . I like smoking chicken breasts with calendars Greek seasoning on it. Get it to that 150 range and call it good.

Well, the low and slow smoking crowd won't like this, as their view is that you have to smoke for many hours at low temps. But....

I got a Charbroil Big Easy earlier this year and I'm loving it! We've grilled on it and also smoked turkey breasts and ribs. Two hours or a little over seems to be the trend, with awesome results.

I have been using a Brinkman smoker for the last ten years, the Charbroil kicks it's axe. :D

The brines and rubs will work with either. We don't have a favorite so far, experimenting with lots of commercially available products.

Last edited:
190 ? I usually only do my pork loins to 150 , am I under cooking it ? Always seems plenty done . Just a novice as well . I like smoking chicken breasts with calendars Greek seasoning on it. Get it to that 150 range and call it good.

Yes. 190. Depends on your cooking temp and what your end goal is. Higher cooking temp, cook to lower internal temp for a nice loin to slice up. Low and slow if you want to pull it. Mix the two and you have a disaster.

Yes. 190. Depends on your cooking temp and what your end goal is. Higher cooking temp, cook to lower internal temp for a nice loin to slice up. Low and slow if you want to pull it. Mix the two and you have a disaster.
Usually just low and slow. I usually only do a quarter loin fat side up on the grill as I'm not feeding a family , throw it on at 2-3 in the afternoon on the smoke setting around 180 degrees mow the lawn, clean the garage , mess around the house and watch tv and usually at 150 range by 7 . Let it rest slice and eat . That's my method either right or wrong . Always looking to improve . I've heard of some searing the outside of it first then low and slowing . Hell , most people claim it's hard to make bad food on a traeger .

Last Friday I woke up at 3am to put these four pork butts on the smoker. They were covered with apple Butter and a rub the day before. They were on the smoke until 11 am then wrapped in foil until the IT was 195. They were on for 13 hrs at 220 degrees. We froze 22 bags for easy meals this winter plus the kids get a bunch also.

Here is a recipe you need to try.

Smoked Jalapeño Creamed Corn

1 bag frozen corn
2 -3 jalapeños
1 can condensed milk
1 package creamed cheese

Smoke the corn and chopped jalapeños on the smoker for a hour at least. Then on the stove cook the milk on low heat and add the cream cheese and keep stirring until the cheese is melted. You can add some Cheddar cheese also if you want to. Put the corn in a foil pan add the cheese mixture stir it up. Put back on the smoker at 350 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes or until it is cooked.
I have to make this for our fish fry at the golf course next week. The course has a fun night after league is over. In need to make enough for 40 members :eek:

I smoke quite a bit of stuff. Had always used hickory but recently started using mulberry or cherry. The cherry is great with pork and the mulberry is just plain great!!!! Aside from the normal turkey, pork butt, loin, etc. I also like smoking chicken, whole or parts and smoked corn on the cob is awesome.

Venison backstrap, whole. Brine marinade for 12 hours (lots of options for that mix). Wrap in bacon. 2 1/2 hours at 225. Insanely good.

IMG_20160705_182052799_zpsgwcczwbw.jpg

a non venison smoker recipe that i love are two items- Bacon Wrapped stuff Jalapenos - core a pepper- soften cream cheese, garlic and seasoning salt and fill the pepper. i will also mix jumbo lump crab meat into the mix if i am making a small batch. wrap in bacon- put a tooth pick through and put in a pepper holder and smoke at 225 until bacon is golden brown- should take 45 min or so. melts in your mouth

other item is Jalapeno smoked cream corn-

2 cans of shoepeg corn
3/4 lb of shredded cheddar cheese
2 jalapenos fresh - seeded and sliced up into bits
1 stick of butter
2 packages of cream cheese
salt and pepper

mix all together in an aluminum smoking pan - smoke for 1 hour at 225 - mix and then smoke an addition hour with little smoke- great!

I am not a big fan of spicy- but I LOVE these two items

385662_351259908298880_1292221711_n.jpg

and here was our bacon explosion- we served this at world food festival and few other events when I owned a part of a company called Bacon Wrapped DSM

1 LB of graziano sausage
your favorite dry rub seasoning
1 cub of brown sugar
2 lbs of bacon

weave a blanket of bacon where its a perfect square the length of an average bacon piece (on wax paper to help roll later)
take unused bacon and cook until crispy- chop up into small pieces and set aside
take sausage and press it on as a layer to cover the bacon weave and then put 1/2 of the brown sugar on the sausage- dry rub as well- and bacon crumbles- all evenly spread out over the sausage
Now Roll into tight roll so the bacon weave is now only thing expose- tuck ends in. then take remaining brown sugar and dry rub and cover the outside
we smoked ours at 225 and it took a couple hours to reach a safe internal temperature and by then the bacon on the outside was perfect. Cut into slices and eat as is or make a BBQ sandwich.
298375_351259934965544_663581197_n.jpg

Last edited:
My dad, myself and brother in law all have Big Green Eggs and love them.

One of my favorite things to do are appetizers. Not a venison recipe but these are probably my all time favorite.

PIG SHOTS - Rope sausage cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices. wrap bacon around that which creates a bowl. Take diced green peppers and softened cream cheese and fill the bowl. Top that off with layer of brown sugar. Smoke on indirect heat until bacon is crisp. usually 200-225

Top Bottom