Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Feeders?

shellie

shed hunting traps- is this legal?

i talked to an old guy that makes feeders for cattle, puts shelled corn in them , then places netting over them , big enough for cows or Deer to eat from, but bucks get their antlers stuck in the nettting when there loose trying to eat from this contraption.is this ethicaly - legal?

Re: shed hunting traps- is this legal?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is this ethicaly - legal? </div></div>

There is a difference between "ethical" and "legal" of course but I know of no legal implications unless the netting is unforgiving and deer get caught and end up hurting themselves.

We have lots of discussion about shed traps every year and thoughts about it.

I use soft bungee's that could easily be broken if a buck got tangled in it but so far none have had a problem nor left a shed behind... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Antlertrap.jpg

02-10buck.jpg

Laidback.jpg

Not sure about netting unless it's easily ripped away... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

I think it's both ethical and legal, but to me, there is nothing like walking up to a matched set in a bedding area or a nice one on a trail leading to a food source.

I did like the idea posted here about the small fenced in area with corn in the center forcing the buck to jump...good luck Rod!

I was at a sporting goods store the other day talking to one of the employees and he said he used feeders during the spring and summer and pulled them at the end of August. I was wondering if anyone used one and if so if they thought it held deer on their property or not. I'm just courious to what peoples thoughts are on them during the off season.

I enjoy mine in the winter time for taking pics but as soon as spring comes they pretty much stop using it.

Besides..corn is to darn expensive! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Theherd.jpg

I think good quality forage from my food plots and crops is better for them then eating nose to nose in a feeder year around also... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much is shelled corn right now anyway? </div></div>

I think I paid 12 bucks a hundred the other day

How long does a hundred last you Paul and do you just run one feeder or more? I know you have a lot of deer and I'm guessing my situation may be similar. I've always WANTED to feed them during the lean months but just haven't gotten used to the idea of the $$ yet.

If the weather gets bad, perhaps a week...

You can adjust flow somewhat to make em work for it, I just want pics...not trying to "fatten em up"... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Kev,
i agree, not much time to build those contraptions anyway, its better to find the shed in the feild, means more that way, you know how many i found on that 80 im hunting down south last yr, just lookimg for the same harvest,. keep me posted on your finds as im sure between you and your son , your proably up on me by now! ha.

Last winter I put corn out after the season and in the spring decided to build a few feeders. In the spring and summer I fed Purina Deer Chow 20% protien pellets all summer long. I pulled my feeders the second week of September. I am going to put them back out on january 11th and going to feed a 50/50 mix of the protien pellets and corn until it greens up in the spring then I will feed straight protien again. Here is a pic of one of the feeders I made. You can make them for less than $100 each.

Big8Velvet.jpg
[/img]

Top Bottom