Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fenced in

R

Rembrandt

Fenced in game is not eligible for Boone & Crocket or P&Y....but can be recorded in Safari Club records.

Muddy if the fences in Burlington kept a buck from being entered in the books then most all the bucks shot in Iowa would be out. The one side of the Plant has nothing but 3 or 4 strand barbed wire fence just like most of the farm fences in Iowa. Also most of those are broken down and hard to find sometimes. Even if the high fences were around the entire Plant the deer still jump them in some spots and go under them, which I have witnessed.
G6

I've hunted Texas game ranches, so let me clarify what a fence is....these ranches have woven wire fence that is 12 feet high and cannot be jumped over or crawled under. They are well maintained, and secure the game from escaping. One particular area (1000 acres) had about 60 Whitetail bucks (no does) and all were feeding from mineral/protien livestock feeders....some of the biggest racks you've ever seen. Guide told us that we could take any one we liked....only $6500. The week we were there, a major deer magazine sent a photographer to the same area for some deer photos....next time you see those big racked photos, note the sage brush and plants in the background....most are pen raised deer.

It is sad that it is coming to high fencing deer. I have seen a couple people in Iowa start to high fence their property. And trust me when they say high fence, they mean high fence. Drive through Texas some time and you will see what I mean. There isn't a deer in this great world that will get over those fences........

One more example of how this is turning into a rich man's sport. Enjoy it while we can I guess.

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of any news regarding the out-of-stater that purchased the large tract of land in south eastern IA, fenced it in and was going to start a hunt club. I think it was near Burlington. I saw an article in the Cedar Rapid's Gazette concerning this a year or so ago and the owner said that he was hoping to grow the next world record.

I don't necessarily agree with the practice, but it is interesting. Any information on this fellow or his pursuit?

3BL

I believe that if a person were to shoot a buck in a completely fenced off area it will not count in the record books because it's not "fair chase" or something along that line. Otherwise anybody could purchase a buck, feed it, and shoot him up with steroids until he was that big. It's like the bucks taken out of the Burlington Ammunition Depot are not eligible (I THINK) because they are completely fenced in. Of course there are breaks in the fence where it butts up against private land. Don't quote me on any of this cuz I'm not exactly sure on the enclosure rules.

MW

If these people want to spend their money on a large piece of ground and put up fences that no animal can escape and use these animals for hunt club's then they should pay phenomianl amounts of money for the breeding stock they are taking out of the publics hands.The land owner/manager's should not be eligible for any tag's other than landowners, and the deer taken on these farm's should not be recorded in any books. If the animal has no chance of leaving a farm parcel then they have zero chance of survival!! They have no place they can hide that is posted as no hunting. Club hunting is not a sport, it's a business!! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BigBuckBadLuck:
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of any news regarding the out-of-stater that purchased the large tract of land in south eastern IA, fenced it in and was going to start a hunt club. I think it was near Burlington. I saw an article in the Cedar Rapid's Gazette concerning this a year or so ago and the owner said that he was hoping to grow the next world record.

I don't necessarily agree with the practice, but it is interesting. Any information on this fellow or his pursuit?

3BL
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

G6

That's why I put "i think" into my post, I'm not sure on the rules because of the broken fences up against the public land and private land. When I trapped turkeys for the DNR in the Burlington Ammo Plant we just saw some NiCe deer and saw that the fences were down...etc, etc, etc. =) It was interesting to be sittingin the turkey trapping blind and having them blow ordinance a few hundred yards away though!

I've never been inclined to pay to hunt inside a fence and knew I couldn't afford it anyway. $6500? The deer on my wall may not be P&Y, but it's plenty neat and it cost $26.

Anytime you restrict the movement of an animal it is no longer "wild" life. I was watching a hunting show the other day where they where shooting deer at a feeder on one of these texas ranches. Shooting with a high power rifle, how hard can that be?

You need to put it in perspective...Game Ranch hunting is nothing more than a commercial livestock operation where you shoot your own meat....Antlers are a bonus...

I always find it rewarding when I watch the hunting shows and know that I have harvested a bigger buck than some of these guys that go to these game ranches and pay for the hunt. I think that the preparation and anticipation is just a much fun as the actual hunt. That is why we scout in late summer and early fall and have our stands hung in the right spot. Any of us could hunt public land in Iowa and shoot as big of deer and some of these guys on TV. As far as guys buying land and putting up fences, why don't they just buy a deer already mounted.

I think that high fenced hunting is very unethical. I dont see any fun in it. I wouldnt call it hunting. I think that outfitters and high fenced hunting should be outlawed? What do you guys think of that? Just my 2 cents!!

I have driven around the property in discussion. It is a fence like no other, tall and nothing is getting in or out. Even the creek beds are concreted with spillways to keep game in. If my directions are straight it is north of Burington, near the Case Proving Grounds. Case has a backhoe factory in Burlington. They play with new designs on the proving grounds.

I just read my most recent Sports Afield and it talked about a new Hunting Ranch in SE Iowa called Timber Ghost. Said something like 5 deer were taken this fall better than 150, one or two were 180. Beautiful lodge and property.

If you had a cool million in the bank and only had 5 days to hunt a $6000 hunt would be just what you're looking for. I don't blame the hunters or the owners. It's 1500 acres, not like it's a corral by the barn where the deer are kept. It's a dog eat dog world and the almighty dollar is king. You never have enough, no matter how much you got.

We all know that when there is money to be made,things like this will happen.To me it's not O.K...These people should be ashamed of themselves.It's unbelievable that someone would shoot a deer like this and tell people he is a great white hunter.I would have to say people that hunt this way are a hell of a lot better at making $$$$ than at hunting....

I cant believe how quick hunters are to criticize the way other people choose to hunt.A lot of these (not all i know) high fence operations cover miles of ground so its not like you just walk out and pick a deer out of the feed lot and shoot it.I never have hunted inside high fences and more than likely never will.But if somebody else wants to spend anywhere from 2500 to 6000$ to shoot a deer thats fine with me.They cant enter em in the record books.As far as feeders in texas go a lot of guys from texas happen to think the way we do deer drives in iowa is wrong to.I dont know whos right and wrong on these subjects but i think its got a lot to do with where you were brought up as to how you choose to hunt.Im just happy to spend my 26$ and chase deer for the better part of 4 months every year.

I am not sure how many acres they fenced in , but I am pretty sure they are also the ones that are leaseing up alot of the ground north of Mediapolis.

I am not sure how many acres they fenced in , but I am pretty sure they are also the ones that are leaseing up alot of the ground north of Mediapolis.

Top Bottom