Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fenced in

Recently had a discussion with the Nebraska Game and Parks director, Greg Wagner. Great Guy. Here is the problem with game farms they are having in NE.

A Elk Game farm in the western park of the state has created a huge problem with the CWD, Cronic wasting Diease. the elk have passed it along to the deer OUTSIDE the fence. Yup, there could be MAJOR lawsuits on the way. In Nebraska anyway, it is illegal to own deer, the state does. So in effect, you are harming the states income by infecting their deer.

They are going to attempt at outlawing those types of operation. One with fences. they don't have a problem with someone owning a large tract of land, creating the proper habitat to support a population of deer just don't try to fence them in.

"Going to grow the next record" Come on, thats is just low! Where is the sport in that? Sounds like real hunting to me. What a joke!

Regarding the Burlington Ammunitions Plant, it isn't completely fenced in. There should be some awesome deer there next year due to the fact that no hunting was allowed there this year. Hopefully, all of us who were drawn to hunt there this year will be able to get in next year.

Do they let anyone shed hunt in the ammunition plant down there in Burlington. I thought I remember talking to someone who mushroom hunted in there. Just curious, sounds like it might be worth the drive. Chris

ISHEDHUNT-

You'd have to get in touch with the ammunition plant and ask for permission. When we turkey trapped in there we had to go through a background check and have ID badges made just to get through the gates. After Sept. 11 I'm sure security is much tighter, it may not be worth the trip after all! Depending on where you live the Mark Twain Nat'l Wildlife refuge between Muscatine & Wapello, along the Miss. River, would be better shed hunting. They close the refuge for the whole hunting season and open it back up in late February. When I worked there you could regularly see 160+ bucks from the eagle watch towers! When I got to do a duck count in the refuge I saw trees rubbed that were as big as my legs and torso! Just something to feed your imagination! =)

MW

I agree to a certian point....I have seen a wounded deer jump a six ft fence and leave an ammuntion plant. NOTE that this fence did not have the barbed wire on top of it...About the only deer that could not jump this fence were fawns. Animals shot in this ammunition plant can be entered in to our state books and I believe they could be entered into P&Y...This place is over 7000 acres as well. I agree that they should not be allowed in if the fence is barbed on top and is more than 6 ft high. There is no way a deer can excape that kind of empoundment. As well this place I am talking about doesn't feed or grow their own deer. Farmers lease the land and plant crops on the land and it get a regular dose of public pressure everyweekend. There is no shortage of big bucks though.

I wonder if these high fences are more for keeping the deer in or for keeping other hunters out. Doesn't it make sense that if you own property and it is attractive to wildlife, that deer will seek that place out anyway. I would imagine that the deer will look for the best habitat available and gravitate towards it. If you have quality habitat and put up a high fence, you are probably keeping additional quality whitetails OUT of your property as well. I just don't get it.

while driving to kansas yesterday, i noticed for the first time one of these high deer fences. i was traveling south on I-35 between mile markers 13 and 12 and noticed the fence on the west side of the interstate. does anyone know if there is an outfitter located there or not?

Top Bottom