Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

fencing off tree's

Deaner

A while ago (a year or so ago) in this forum someone posted pictures of some fencing they put up around their tree's to keep the deer away. I have looked back a few pages and can't find them. I was wondering if whoever posted them could post them again or if anyone else has any suggestions on what you have luck with. I have a one acre food plot on a future "Dream Home" building site and got a good deal (free) on some really nice Maple, Oak and Apple trees. The range from about 6' to 10' tall and this is the first year they have really taken off. I have about 25 tree's along the border of our land. I am really concerned about the bucks tearing the hell out of them this fall. It would be a shame if they got wreaked after coming along so nice.
thanks-deernut

i dont know if you have access to electricity to run an electric fence, and a lot of spare time like my grandpa who took the regular steel fence posts and ran 3 or 4 (can't remember which) strands of electric fence on these and electrified it with your standard 6 or 12 volt fencer. this seemed to work until the deer started to jump the fence and then he took (i think) 3/8 rerod, or something close to it, he bent them at a 45 degree angle and bought the dare insulators that tighten over and ran an additional strand of electrified fence on the rerod and put them at the top of the regular steel posts. now it looks like a high security prison haha, but it is effective. you do need to have all the strands electrified or the deer will slip through or over. and the 45's are at an outward angle. the fence will then need to be checked often until the deer begin to respect the fact that it is there and then one wouldn't have to check it everyday or however often you choose to. sorry for the lenghty response. hope it helps

I have about 400 trees individually fenced off here. I just use whatever wolven wire fence I can get for free and make a 4'-5' circle out of it, no stakes needed. If your trees are that big your only real concern is rubs, and if you make it inconvient for the bucks they wont bother. Even the 2' tall fence seems to stop the rubs as long as they cant just lean over and easily reach the trunk. I've had 99% sucess with this so far.

The bucks started on my largest first year oaks and 2nd year wild plums about 3 weeks ago. I saw a thread here (somewhere-by dbltree)where the pics showed the woven wire individually around the trees. A 14 foot piece makes a good sized hoop that should even keep the deer from eating the tops off also. Big enoungh hopfully they don't need to be staked down (time will tell). Used wire can usually be had for the asking from many farmers that have old rolls around. New is much easier to handle and work with but gets pricey if you have many to do. I would get something around them now be the bucks get them.

No, don't have power up there yet. Maybe in a year or two. But that is what I was thinking the post or pictures were about. Someone had taken woven wire and put a ring around each tree. I think it's crazy why they aren't staked down but supposedly they don't have to? My uncle is a junk dealer going to see if he has any extra wire. Going to have to give it a try. Hopefully it works!

[ QUOTE ]
Someone had taken woven wire and put a ring around each tree. I think it's crazy why they aren't staked down but supposedly they don't have to? Hopefully it works!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is Timberpig's tree fencing and it works very well without staking it although you certainly could.

997sidexside_jpg-med.JPG

I use chicken wire without stakes around my apple trees and it works great.

Lot's of information about fencing, tree shelters and tubes in the thread Ghost posted also.

[ QUOTE ]
I have about 400 trees individually fenced off here.

[/ QUOTE ]

My land!! That had to be tedious work! I planted around 3500 tree this spring, I couldn't imagine trying to fence them all off. Guess I'll just have to re-plant the ones they destroy.

in '98 we planted several thousand trees around our woods on a buffer strip, needless to say none of them made it through the next spring with the big flood of '99, not much fence you can put up to protect them from that!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have about 400 trees individually fenced off here.

[/ QUOTE ]

My land!! That had to be tedious work! I planted around 3500 tree this spring, I couldn't imagine trying to fence them all off. Guess I'll just have to re-plant the ones they destroy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasnt that bad, since I spaced that out over about 3 years. I'd get a bunch of discarded fence and then make 20-30 when I had an hour to kill, and so on. We planted around 4,000 all together and the only ones that have amounted to much are fenced except red cedars and most of the Norways, which do ok on their own. In a few more years I'm going to have alot of fence to get rid of.

Thanks for posting that Dbltree, I was too lazy!
grin.gif

I noted Scott R.'s suggestion above for a 14' length of woven wire farm fence. I do something similar...although I cut a 17' length. That gives me a diameter of about 6ft...which seems to prevent most (not all) leaning over the fence to nip young shoots.

Here in Michigan there are many farmer's woodlots that have rolls and rolls of rusty field fence that was ripped out when pasturing declined. Whenever I need to fence some trees I get a roll or two from friends.

By the way, I'm only doing about two dozen trees per year.....so this fence gig is pretty manageable. All my apples, crabapple, pear and plum trees get this fencing. I'd be wiped out in a blink without it.

[/ QUOTE ]In a few more years I'm going to have alot of fence to get rid of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you want to wait? I could get rid of them for you.
evil.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]In a few more years I'm going to have alot of fence to get rid of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you want to wait? I could get rid of them for you.
evil.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Someday when I'm done with them I'll put a post on here, then just bring a livestock trailer and fill 'er up!

Top Bottom