Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Field edge vs. Just inside

kmehlin

I never know where to place my stand. Got access to new land and have only hung one stand... I went with just inside the timber. But I am starting to regret that. The field is a cut hay field and no crops. At least from the edge I can also scout while hunting, and the decoy would be visible in a natural funnel as well.

Please give some advice as stand placement is the most crucial tool out there.

Thanks in advance

To me, it depends on what you have cover wise...if I am going to a mature buck I would prefer the routes to the feeding area unless it is in thick cover. For does the edges work great as they usually show themselves out in the open a lot more.

If you have an open timber just inside the hayfield you will probably need to move back even farther to see the big boy before dark in most cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At least from the edge I can also scout while hunting </div></div>

I think you always need to start with one or more observation stands and then "move in" from there. This is a poor time of year to scout new timber with so much cover and feed everywhere.

Being able to see where movement is occuring and some travel patterns will allow you to move stands to those spots.

Funnel areas are the best of course so if you are aware of any I'd hand stands there...inside the timber.

Deer always stop just inside the timber before going out or after coming in...good place to make a clean kill /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Best chance for scoring especially outside the rut is 1st time in. I would observe from afar at first and move in from there. I prefer edge terrain opening weekend and after that I move in as close as I possibly can to a suspected mature buck bedding areas and move areas almost every hunt.

Rut strategies of course are whole nother ball game!

I absolutely love field edge stands this time of yr for the reasons you stated, you can scout while hunting. Of course I also am hunting where mature deer are more visible now than in November.

both have applications, i love hunting field edges during the rut so i can use the decoy, i have had nothing but poor results in the close quarters that timbers provide, so field edges with a decoy is a must imo. however, the staging areas just inside the timber can be dynamite as well! This time of year it is very difficult to get a good feel of where the deer are traveling, but if you find a heavily used trail chances are good that type of pattern will hold.

I also like to sit and watch from a far early on, then set up new spots as the season progresses, but by far the best location to key in on this time of year is bottle-necks and funnel type features. regardless of the nearest available food source, the deer will use the easiest and most accesible cover for movement. most funnels are killer locations all year long. but usually will require you be off the field edge.

so in short, it really depends on the forage available, and amount of visable sign. if given the choice, ill pick a field edge, but im not afraid to move off the edges to get a little closer to home!

good luck!

Top Bottom