Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

finally found one

after alot of scouting and hard work i've found me a deer worth hunting. Im from western Ky and finding a big deer to hunt around here is like trying to win the lottery. The deer i'll be hunting isnt a shooter there in iowa but around here he is lol. He's a 140 type deer. hopefully the first weekend of september i'll be on him as long as nobody spotlights him. That and poaching is what kills our chances of having big deer around here. and we don't have enough game wardens to cover most areas. to tell you the truth the fish and wildlife around here disgust me. Our public land hunting is a shame. they do not put any money or time into our whitetail herd. All they put money in is the quail hunting. You might hunt the local peabody WMA aall year and see 3 or 4 deer and nothin more then a 50 inche deer. They will not plant any food or patrol like they should, Wish it could be more like Iowas DNR. The land of the giants. On all the tv shows you hear ky is the sleeper state. i guess its still sleeping for me haha i've whitetail hunted for 14 years and biggest ive killed is a 140 something probaly. I jus wont shoot a deer unless he's 140 or bigger.

Glad you have found a good one! Trust me, I am sure there are plenty of guys up here that would shoot a 140 class deer, myself included.

140 is a beast anywhere you look even Iowa. That is a shame about your public ground. Dont feel bad there are a couple public grounds around my area that your lucky to see a deer the whole season the problem with our public ground is its so over hunted not many deer live on the ground just pass through when pressured to. Anyways goodluck this year with that buck nothing wrong with a 140

thats a good buck in that picture, yea our public ground has WAY to much pressure during muzzleloader and rifle season. Hardly no one bow hunts it in early season. It use to be a quota hunt only for rifle and muzzleloading but now it's open to anybody,. I've wrote letters to fish and wildlife about getting it back to quota hunt only and 15" size limit but all they keep saying is there is no way to do that. because there is to many access points getting in. But the funny thing is there's only 2 roads into peabody, they jus don't want to put any time or effort into managin the deer. if i worked for the fish and wildlife i would get things done. I've tried finding places to lease and everything around here but it's all lease up mostly by lawyers and stuff. My chances of killing a trophy buck are very slim. I've only got about 80 acres private land to hunt. working on another farm. Next yr im goin to start putting in for Iowa hopefully it doesn't take long for me to get a tag. what would be my best chance of gettin drawn? bow or muzzleloader tag? really its a shame i work as hard as i do and always come up empty handed, season after season. i never picked my bow up last year, i passed on so many 100" deer then the next person shoots em. Nobody around here cares about QDMA if they see a deer they shoot. during rifle season u see so many trucks driving up and down the road looking for a deer to shoot and so many people spotlight and poach that it makes me sick and not even want to hunt anymore. But it's my passion i can't give up on it that easy. At the end of every season i wonder y i keep working so hard for it to never get paid off, if i get drawn to hunt iowa i'll be taking a trip before season to scout some public land for a hunt. I would like to find some private ground but wouldn't know were to start, I'd pay somebody to let me hunt their farm although i wouldn't have alot of extra money after buying my tag, gas, and other expenses. I would be willing to help one on a farm or something to work out a deal. One fellow on here has told me that he would let me hunt with him on his private land. I'd like to hunt vanburen county or decatur county. I'd like to make some hunting buddies out there that i could come hunt with year after year, although i wouldn't draw a deer tag every year i would like to turkey hunt or waterfowl hunt. I would also be willing to take somebody hunting around here. The waterfowl hunting isn't the greatest around here but somedays we do alright. Turkey hunting is our best. If anybody has any information or would be willing to lease their farm out for me to hunt a couple days if i get drawn in the future you don't know how much it would be appreciated. I'm a very respectable hunter and wouldn't trash ones land up or drive in fields or anything. Yaw are alot more friendly about hunting then people in ky by far. You ask somebody around here to hunt you get a reaction like you jus stole from them. thats no way to be. Thanks fellas. How is yaws waterfowl hunting there

First off welcome to the site. During our shotgun season in iowa its a lot like yous i know a group of guys I refuse to hunt with because they go out guns a blazing. Heck last year they put seven slugs in one small deer. Then they sit there and ridicule me about mounting a 130 class buck which to most people is small, but it was my first deer ever. Anyway I feel your pain but that stuff happens everywhere.

I hope when you get that deer that you post it in the pma section for us all to see

"You might hunt the local peabody WMA aall year and see 3 or 4 deer and nothin more then a 50 inche deer."

Not true, you just gotta get away from the other hunters and bow hunt it more. It hardly receives bow pressure. Me and my father have been quite sucessful there through the years. I killed my first buck off of there and he has killed plenty of does and few bucks off of it. Most notable of all was a 140" 12 pointer. The deer are there...just not where everyone thinks and hunts. Hunt the ridges surrounded by thick bottoms or get in the bottoms if you dont mind really close shots.
:way:

Same for Ohio...

First off welcome to the site. During our shotgun season in iowa its a lot like yous i know a group of guys I refuse to hunt with because they go out guns a blazing. Heck last year they put seven slugs in one small deer. Then they sit there and ridicule me about mounting a 130 class buck which to most people is small, but it was my first deer ever. Anyway I feel your pain but that stuff happens everywhere.

I hope when you get that deer that you post it in the pma section for us all to see

That's why I rarely hunt shot gun in Ohio--same thing here...much happier bow hunting...

Last edited:
Glad you found a deer to target. But a 140 class deer is a shooter anywhere in my book. I've deer hunted in IA for over 15 years and only seen a handful of deer (on public land, mind you) that are in the 140's or better. There just isn't a 150" buck behind every tree here like people seem to believe.

Hope you get him!

Top Bottom