Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

flooded food plot pics & a couple questions

ILL BUCK

Flooded by a hurricane in central Illinois, who would of thought!!
First, will the pods on my beans that are under water and will be so for 4 to 5 days be ok or will they rot??
2. if my freshly planted rye oats and awp dont come up can I plant rye as late as the first of october?? It will be that long before I can get back in there with a tractor and if everything is ruined I want to get something in to have a hunting plot.
3. Do you think my fall plots that were planted 4 days before Ike. Rye oats and awp will germinate and come up?? (if theres any seed left)

9_16_08_3.jpg

9_16_08.jpg

9_16_08_2.jpg

meafterike.jpg

Wow! I'm not an expert on flooded crops but that doesn't look good.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

When our beans have been under water here they ended up covered with mud which made combining almost impossible. That being said...I don't think the deer would find them tasty either.

The corn stalks acted like straws sucking water into the ear which then molded and ended up being no good as well.

Rye can be planted well into October so your ok there and if need be you could broadcast it on the wet soil right after the water recedes. That way you could gain a few days before being able to till it with a tractor.

The seeds that are under water...my oats germinated in 3 days so if yours had germinated I'm afraid they have drowned by now.

Wish I had better news for you but flooding for more then 24 hours pretty much leaves everything in ruin...lotta folks here in Iowa already know about that this year....... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Thanks dbltree, I was wondering about just broadcasting right on top of the soil as soon as the water went down.

Do you think I could broadcast oats that way too or should I just stick with rye??

Top Bottom