Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plot Blues

Checked my rye and oat food plots today. They are nice and lush, the rye is about 4-5" tall and same with the oats. All the plots are secluded and out of sight from anyone or anything.
Out of 5 trail cams on three plots I was very disappointed with very little deer usage. There were hardly any tracks in the plots either. I'm afraid if they don't start using the plots the rye and oats are going to get tall and rank, then the plots will be useless. What do you think is going on??
STEVE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you think is going on??
</div></div>

Acorns are dropping like crazy around my place and they trump everything!

Soybeans are still green because they were planted late, third and 4th cutting alfalfa is nice and lush and corn is starting to ripen...

In short they have have a literal smorgasbord of food right now.

If this is a first time for food plots in this area they may also not be adjusted to using it.

Once deer get used to using a safe hidden plot they often literally kill the plot but oddly enough sometimes they have to figure out it's a safe place to feed.

They are pounding my oats even though surrounded by tons of other feed but they have been using those plots for more then a decade now.

If it gets carried away you may want to clip it before it gets stemmy... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Yes I noticed the acorns were dropping pretty good here too and the beans are still nice and lush. So what's the max height before they should get clipped? Here are the plots directly after they were planted and as of today:
Honey Hole: (1/4 acre oats)
honeyhole.jpg

lush1.jpg

1 acre rye plot with peas
rye2.jpg

lush4.jpg

Hard to imagine deer not hitting those spots pretty hard but then again acorns are a huge attraction that they can't turn down.

You don't want the grains to get stemmy, most likely 10-12" high or so may require clipping.

We want lush leaves not course stems or stalks so you just need to keep an eye on it.

At least it didn't wash a way! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Steve,
Hang in there man. I wish I was in your position right now. I made a small and secluded oats/rye plot and the deer have it mowed back down to bare dirt! There's nothing left to forage upon. I broadcast seeded it extra heavy today in hopes of getting some more growth but I'm pretty sure the same results will follow. I guess if nothing else, I have a nice clearcut for clean shots with the bow.
whaat.gif

Top Bottom