Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

food plot

Buckmaster14

I want to do a food plot for this comming deer season, but am limited to equipment.

I have a field that is mostly bare, no grass in it. If i mow the field and broadcast rye grass and clover seed, will it take?

If there is something worth mowing, then there's probably something worth spraying. I'd suggest getting a sprayer, killing what is left in the field and broadcasting your clover and rye later this summer to insure that the rye stays attractive for hunting season.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckmaster14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to do a food plot for this comming deer season, but am limited to equipment.

I have a field that is mostly bare, no grass in it. If i mow the field and broadcast rye grass and clover seed, will it take? </div></div>

I agree with NS, get a backpack sprayer and nuke the sod and then you can broadcast clover and cereal rye (NOT ryegrass!!) into the killed sod this fall.

You can plant clover that way right now once you get the sod killed and just skip the rye...just an option... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Not to jack the thread but I also have a question along these lines. I have a secluded overgrown field that I would like to plant a 1/2 or 1 acre food plot in. Could I plant soybeans for growth during the summer and then plant a winter blend or winter wheat in late August or September in the same field to sustain growth later into the hunting season? I am very new to this so any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks All!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Could I plant soybeans for growth during the summer and then plant a winter blend or winter wheat in late August or September in the same field to sustain growth later into the hunting season? I am very new to this so any suggestions are appreciated.</div></div>

your beans will never make it in a plot that size without fencing. If it was me a clover plot or cereal grain plot would be the ticket if your wanting a late season kill plot a brassica plot planted late July into early August is in order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could I plant soybeans for growth during the summer and then plant a winter blend or winter wheat in late August or September in the same field to sustain growth later into the hunting season </div></div>

As CI mentioned, deer will most likely murder a small bean plot within the first month or so of planting unless it's part of a large field of beans.

What you mention will work however if the beans could survive.

I use winter rye which is a much better option then wheat but I struggle to get 3-4 acres of beans to survive let alone an acre.

Planting RR soybeans is a great way to prepare an area however by nuking weeds/grasses all summer and if they kill the beans then it's ready to go for your fall crop. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Central Iowa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Could I plant soybeans for growth during the summer and then plant a winter blend or winter wheat in late August or September in the same field to sustain growth later into the hunting season? I am very new to this so any suggestions are appreciated.</div></div>

your beans will never make it in a plot that size without fencing. If it was me a clover plot or cereal grain plot would be the ticket if your wanting a late season kill plot a brassica plot planted late July into early August is in order. </div></div>

That all depends on your deer density and what else there is for food around. I know I could do this behind my house, but just 10 miles away forget it.

Just some food for though.

I appreciate the feed back guys. I have taken quite a few does off of the property but there is still a fairly high density. I was browsing Bonker's post "Finally Decided" and it sounds like he is doing something similar, summer plot and late season plot. There should be plenty of food around and I am hoping that the plot will be a staging area before they move to the 30-40 acres of AG land in the early season and draw them in when other sources die in the late season.

I was looking at the Antler King Fall/Winter/Spring blend for late season but again am new at this so is it worth the money? Or would I be better off just picking up winter rye at the local co-op? Will they know what I need when I say winter rye or is there a specific brand you would recommend?

Thanks again

Top Bottom