Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

food plots and water

lungbuster29

i planted about an acre of food plots last year and plan on planting more this year the only concern i have is that thay r planted along a river botom and yes i know that river come out in the spring does anyone know how long antler king and tecomate can be under water before they go south and u have to start over

Alsike clover is a good choice for areas that flooding is a concern. Blaster had some flooding on his plots this past year. Derek how did they end up? I looked up that old post and the picts. are gone. Must have been lost in the upgrade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lungbuster29</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i planted about an acre of food plots last year and plan on planting more this year the only concern i have is that thay r planted along a river botom and yes i know that river come out in the spring does anyone know how long antler king and tecomate can be under water before they go south and u have to start over </div></div>

Clover can stand some "damp" ground but I'm not sure how long it can stand extended flooding. If annual flooding is a concern then perhaps annuals that could be planted after spring flood might be better?

Alsike clover is a great choice for real wet areas. Our plots flooded twice. The first flood the clover was only 1in tall and it got covered up with dirt. We reseeded and now the clover looks real good. When the Alsike clover gets established it can live for a couple of weeks under water. Here is the second flood. Our plot is by the trees.
446IMG_0003.JPG

I don't have a picture of the clover after this flood, but it was around 2-3in in December.

Top Bottom