Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Food Plots

[ QUOTE ]
When should I start to make my food plot. What kind of seed should I use. This is my first time making one.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would search this forum for a lot of great information.
What size plot are you going to plant?
What surrounding food sources do you have?
How close to timber/bedding areas?
Will it be hidden?
What type of equipment? (tractor or ATV)
Just a few things to think about...

Clover or alfalfa will last several years...expensive, can be planted spring or late summer (my preference)
can be smaller 1/2 - 3 acre plots

Corn and soybeans - great food plots if large enough (3-10 acres)

Brassicas (forage turnips, rape, etc.)good fall plots - plant late summer/early fall. Will work in small plots.

Buckwheat - short term spring feed
Rye and wheat - plant very early fall for winter plot.
That should give you "food" (plot) for thought....
grin.gif

This is about a half acre. It is in the middle of a timber in a clearing right next to a river bend. There is a large bedding area about 100 yards away from this. I am looking for a seed that will be worth my money.

Something that small is going to get hammered pretty hard. Clover does better in a semi shaded area, so that might be a good possible.
You can start as soon as the ground is dry enough to work. Better to take a soil test, ck PH...most likely needs lime. Work it down good, pack the seedbed with a lawn roller or cultipacker, broadcast seed with a hand seeder (like for lawn seed) and re-pack.
That's the quick version, but of course there are other options.

Top Bottom