Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Foodplot up-keep

Fulldrw

I just planted a foodplot that consisted of Whitetail institute imperial clover and chicory mix and the other half with Antler king's clover and chicory mix. I was wondering when i should start to mow it? Also it is getting pretty weedy with most of the weeds being giant ragweed and dandelions with some other things that i'm not sure what they are yet b/c i haven't taken my book that has all kinds of weeds in it that i use when crop scouting. When and with what should i spray it with? I planted it on april 24, the clover is just getting started growing and some of the chicory is about 8-10 inches tall. Thanks

I would raise your mower up to 8-10" and clip those broadleaves off. not sure what spray you can use with that chicory in there? You might want to check on that as far as broadleafs?

Arrest Grass Control Herbicide is effective on most grass types including:

* Blue Stem
* Orchardgrass
* Bluegrass
* Ryegrass
* Bermuda
* Switchgrass
* Fescue
* Timothy
* Indiangrass

Slay Broadleaf Herbicide is effective on most broadleaf weeds including:

* Chickweed
* Ragweed
* Dandelion
* Thistles
* Dock Weed
* Ground Ivy
* Wild Garlic and Onion

Not sure what it will do to chicory but would take care of the majority of weeds out there.

The Slay (Pursuit) will kill chickory.

Arrest is Poast.

Post, Select or Fusilade (grass be gone) will all work on the grass.

The Pursuit and 2,4 DB options according to their labels get pretty touchy when the weather warms up (like now) Mow it high and you should be fine.

I may not be any help or even correct but all of the alfalfa growers here can't do anything about the dandelions b/c according to the few I've talked to there isn't any spray that won't harm the alfalfa, not sure about clover and chicory.

so should i just lay off of spraying until maybe next spring? How high should i let the plot get before i mow it this year, or should i wait until next spring to try to get things established good this year?

Fulldraw,
Usually if you mow it will help with the weeds. The plot will drown out the bad ones.
Depending on what you use to mow with do not let it get too high. I used a brush hog last year and the cut grass which was long killed a lot of my plot.
If you wait until next spring it could get worse. The weeds will be competing with your good seed.
If it is too bad then mow it and spray it. Hope this helps. Dbl. would also be a good source of information.
Mine is looking to get mowed again this weekend. I have mowed it once already this year. This will be my second mowing.

Good luck.

[ QUOTE ]
so should i just lay off of spraying should i let the plot get before i mow it this year, or should i wait until next spring to try to get things established good this year?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would for sure mow it a couple times this year that'll kill off most of the difficult broadleaf weeds like ragweed. If you don't mow you'll soon be overrun with those, the clover can stand mowing pretty well. I usually wait until after a good rain or at least rain is in the forcast just to make sure I don't kill off the clover. (I mowed most of mine yesterday) You'll probably want to spray for grass either this fall or next spring depending on how much grass comes in.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna wait for rain to be in the forecast or right after and mow pretty soon and then I'll probably spray for grass in the fall like IA ML'r said.

Top Bottom