Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Forage Sorghum

tlambert

PMA Member
I'm getting some free forage sorghum and was wondering if anyone on here(dbltree?!) has any experience with it.
I read up on it a bit and found that it gets pretty tall so I figured that we'd use it on the edge of our corn/bean field to block the neighbors view.
Do deer like this stuff for feed? If so, at what stage of growth?

Thanks

I don't have any experience with it, yet...but I'm planting a two acre plot this year...and I too plan on using it as a neighbor block on the border. Another factor in my decision was that I've read where deer like to bed up in it during the summer months.

Most of what I've read suggests that deer don't consume the sorghum until a last resort, especially when there is corn and soybeans around. The turkeys will hit it more than the deer, which doesn't bother me one bit. I'm more interested in getting the deer onto my hunting lands early, with hopes they'll like what they see and decide to hang around longer than they usually do.

I guess we'll both have a better take on this over the next few months and know what to expect next year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do deer like this stuff for feed? </div></div>

Generally they won't touch it until the seed heads dry down in the fall and after every other food source is gone.

It's best used for a viusal screen /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's best used for a viusal screen /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

good deal. Our field is shared with my uncle and him and his boys tend to shoot across it at the deer in our plots. That needs to end, I say plant your own plots. Pines have been planted but we need something to help out til they grow up.

Top Bottom