Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fort Dodge Hunting

Yes- that's far better advice than mine. Why I put my "not recommending" part on there but I shoulda been a better example there. My grades were fine and I can handle a good bit but it got many others in trouble.
Side note to add... What saved my butt.... I did 3 internships in college. Great paid experience working a "kinda real job" and had those 3 on my resume when I graduated. That earned a lot of opportunity and my GPA was good too (I did work hard at school- don't wanna give wrong impression there). I found plenty time to hunt but I worked hard all yr at work & school. U are all smart guys- u will find Your unique balance. Keep the GPA up, get experience when u can, try and get out with as little debt as possible, have fun, shoot some mammoths during the way- life will be good.

Internships.....best advice yet. That may be the single most important thing that all too often falls by the wayside. I see a lot of resumes and I can tell you first hand I don't call anyone that doesn't have practical experience even if they have a 4.0.

Shoot, the company I interned for in college is still my employer 10 years later! When I told them I was moving to Iowa to chase a dream they asked me if I just wanted to work from home. Having no ill feelings towards the company, just the hunting (or lack there of), it was the dream situation.

Man.....this thread morphed rather quickly..... oh by the way.... I don't know jack-s*** about Fort Dodge hunting. :)

I would go to SDSU if I were you. I miss Iowa but SD hunting is pretty dang good.

You may not be a bird hunter now but if you get hooked up with the right people from SD, you will become one in a hurry. (same goes with fishing)

You will have the opportunity to hunt a few things you don't have available to you in Iowa. (Antelope, mule deer, ground hogs,... oh and pheasants! haha)

I will also agree that if you are eventually going to end up there, I would start there.

Good luck TH

I'll maybe (likely) offend a few with this one but in MOST professions, doesn't matter where u went to school, for sure after a few yrs from graduation. Then, it's just "does he have degree and what is expereience in" and then it's the interview that decides if u get the job. I competed for jobs against people that had $150k+ college degrees. Didn't matter a lick. Maybe a few specialties and cases- sure. Most the time - nope, didn't matter. I'd go for a "solid school" that won't break the bank and allows u to be in cool location. Last 2 cents, I literally drove 10 miles away from my university to take as many courses at community college that would transfer as I could. 1/3rd the Cost back then vs my University. I saved a buttload & paying for my own school- really helped and didn't graduate with debt like most my good friends. They basically had "mortgages" they still paying on today. Or the ones that thought they had to do the $50k/year school or whatever - heck, I know one that became a teacher after that and makes like $40k/year with a mountain of debt on some great university degree. Ouchers.

Yep that piece of paper usually only matters for the first job. After that it's experience. Your degree is your stepping stone for that first job. Think of it like which ladder rung do you want to start on.

Last edited:
I'll maybe (likely) offend a few with this one but in MOST professions, doesn't matter where u went to school, for sure after a few yrs from graduation. Then, it's just "does he have degree and what is expereience in" and then it's the interview that decides if u get the job. I competed for jobs against people that had $150k+ college degrees. Didn't matter a lick. Maybe a few specialties and cases- sure. Most the time - nope, didn't matter. I'd go for a "solid school" that won't break the bank and allows u to be in cool location. Last 2 cents, I literally drove 10 miles away from my university to take as many courses at community college that would transfer as I could. 1/3rd the Cost back then vs my University. I saved a buttload & paying for my own school- really helped and didn't graduate with debt like most my good friends. They basically had "mortgages" they still paying on today. Or the ones that thought they had to do the $50k/year school or whatever - heck, I know one that became a teacher after that and makes like $40k/year with a mountain of debt on some great university degree. Ouchers.

I will also add that when you're 18, most people don't take into consideration what Skip is talking about as far as student loans. I barely have any school loans but my wife however has a boat load. But also has a Masters that will hopefully end up paying off in the long run. But for right now, those student loans are killing us. What we pay in student loans is literally $1 difference from what we pay for our mortgage. Definitely take into consideration the amount of money each school will be. $ isn't everything but not having it is!

If you're ever looking for a place to hunt by brookings let me know. I know a few public places that get overlooked and I've got some private land I could possibly hook you up with.

Good choice. My biggest advice is find somewhere safe to store all your hunting equipment (guns, stands, clothing, bow). Heard many horror stories and witnessed a few friends parking off campus having their vehicle broken into and all of their gear stolen.

Good choice. My biggest advice is find somewhere safe to store all your hunting equipment (guns, stands, clothing, bow). Heard many horror stories and witnessed a few friends parking off campus having their vehicle broken into and all of their gear stolen.
This is where a local rancher / farmers daughter may come in handy..... Just sayin

This is where a local rancher / farmers daughter may come in handy..... Just sayin

Well that gives me an idea...TH, what do say you let your fellow IW'ers find you a girlfriend there in Jackrabbit land? :D

I think we collectively have enough information and photos of you that we could put together a nice entry on "College Match.com" or some such site. :D

Well that gives me an idea...TH, what do say you let your fellow IW'ers find you a girlfriend there in Jackrabbit land? :D

I think we collectively have enough information and photos of you that we could put together a nice entry on "College Match.com" or some such site. :D

Farmers only.com ;)

Last edited:
In brookings there's some nice storage units. Get a couple buddies and rent one out. We have four guys and it only costs $12 each every month and we keep a 14' enclosed trailer in ours, where we keep all our hunting stuff. We got two clam locks on the unit and also on the trailer. The place is fenced in and you need the code to get through the gates. Keep a mini fridge with all your beverages in there so you don't have them on campus because a possession on campus at sdsu will cost you $1,000. If you want a place to party I got you there also.

Dad always says Church is where you can make the most connections, that's where I've found quite a few private properties to hunt/shed hunt over the years. If you didn't know the average age of landowners across the country is 65 years old, the average age of church attendees is 61 years old.

Daver, I wouldn't ever trust you guys to setup a profile for me. I think any girl would read a fourth of the way through it (if I'm lucky) and she would never date anyone again.

Top Bottom