Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Frost Seed Fertilizer

Seth

I'm planning on frost seeding some clover probably next weekend and I was wondering what to use for fertilizer and when to apply it. Before or after seeding?

To truly know what to apply for fertilizer you should have a soil test done.

If you are expecting a lot of weed competition, you might want to hold off on fertilizing until you get it under control. If you're in the clear, I can't think of why you couldn't apply it at the same time you seed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering what to use for fertilizer and when to apply it. Before or after seeding? </div></div>

Potash and phosphorus can be applied this time of year and it is possible to build up levels of P&K while that's not possible with nitrogen.

If nutrient levels are unknown I would apply 200-300 of a low N type fertilizer such as 6-24-24 or 8-36-36 for a clover plot.

Soil tests are alway best though so you can add lime as needed and proper amounts of potash and phosphorus. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

When talking about blends such as 6-24-24 or 8-36-36, are those usually available from a supplier -- or do they have to be custom-blended? Here in PA, the closest I've seen is 5-10-10 or 10-20-20. At $900+ per-ton for standard blends, I'm just wondering what a custom blend might cost?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: magnus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When talking about blends such as 6-24-24 or 8-36-36, are those usually available from a supplier -- or do they have to be custom-blended? Here in PA, the closest I've seen is 5-10-10 or 10-20-20. At $900+ per-ton for standard blends, I'm just wondering what a custom blend might cost? </div></div>

Ag/farm suppliers can mix anything you want and at no extra cost although mixing a couple hundred pounds may be a problem since they are used to dealing in "tons".

Won't hurt to ask however and if your going to have it mixed then skip the nitrogen if you can since you don't need it.

Mixes vary by area....triple 13 is available by my place (in bags) so I have to make do with that.

For clovers we just want a very low N mix because every dime you spend on that is unneccessary.

Check with you local fertlizer supllier and see what they carry or can mix for you... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

dbltree,
I remember reading that urea should be tilled in or spread before a rain so the N is not lost into the air. Is that only for urea? Would it apply to something like 25-10-10 in a bag from the coop?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: qdmwrks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dbltree,
I remember reading that urea should be tilled in or spread before a rain so the N is not lost into the air. Is that only for urea? Would it apply to something like 25-10-10 in a bag from the coop? </div></div>

In most cases where the N is in urea form it would always need to be tilled in or "rained" in within 24 hours.

It doesn't matter if it's 19-19-19, 6-24-24, 10-10-10 etc, etc. the nitrogen in any dry fertlizer should be incorporated or expect large losses.

The P&K is not a problem left on the surface.

Nitrogen in the form of ammonium nitrate is more stable then urea but it's much more difficult to get now days.

Top Bottom