Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

General Food Plot Info

SWBUCKHNTR

I thought I would start a post here that people could look up for general food plot information.
My opinions:
1. PH- Test the ph of the soil and get it to the desired ph before planting.
2. Timing- For best results I prefer to plant clover, brassica, and turn ups in the fall(mid august till mid september). A lot of people like planting them in the spring so the deer are use to coming to them through out the summer. This is a good time to plant clover get it started and then 2-3 times through out the summer mow it. Also spray with poast to get rid of any grasses. After the last mowing over seed with your brassicas and you will have a much better plot in the fall than if you would seed a full mix right away in the spring. One thing you can not forget is to fertilize. A starter fertilizer to start things off and then there are many choices for the rest of the year.

3. What to plant: Plant what the deer do not have. If you live where there is a bunch of corn putting in some rows of corn isnt going to do you a whole lot of good. Clover is a great early season food source for deer. Brassicas along with clover are a great midseason attractant. Purple top turnups will turn great in late season along with soybeans. Soybeans are a great summer food source and turn into a hot spot in late season. Corn is great food and bedding areas all year long.

4. Strategy: I like to plant my food plots in small areas. A small plot will keep your deer feeling more secure to feed in during day time hours. I plant my plots right next to the timber or surrounded by timber. If you have the chance put something tall such as switch grass or corn on the outside edge so that you have a "secluded" place for them to feed.

That is my two cents worth, others add what they want to, that way everyone on here will have a place to look for simple food plot answers

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and idea on foodplots /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom