Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Getting ready for a foodplot

Fulldrw

I'm starting to get anxious on putting in my foodplot and i want to get all of the info. so i'm ready when the time comes. I have got my soil tests back and i have to put on lime so i will be getting some pelletized lime within probably the next week or so and be putting it on the spot. It is only 1/2 acre in size so i was wondering if i should get a pull behind broadcast spreader for my fourwheeler or just use the push one that i use to fertilize the yard? The spot where i am going to put my foodplot is standing stalks right now so i would imagine that i would need to disk it in the spring prior to planting so when should i do that? I haven't decided if i am going to drill the seed or broadcast it, again if i broadcast should i get the pull behind spreader or use the push one? I am going to check into the soil and conservation office b/c i see that they have a plotmaster unit to rent to pu in plots for $20 a day and if my fourwheeler will pull it i will more than likely get that becaus i imagine that the plot would be better if it is drilled in with one of those units. When should i plan on planting if i want to plant clover? Will i have to spray before planting or just wait until after planting? Also what fertilizer will i need to put down after planting? If i missed anything feel free to let me know. Thanks for the info.

If your going to plant clover, you can work it up as soon as the soil is dry. You need a good firm seedbed. I use a cultipacker and go over it before seeding, broadcast it on with a handseeder and then go over it with the cultipacker again. I always seed mine in the late summer so I don't have a weed problem, but you can just use herbicide on yours if need be. If it was in corn...make sure it hasn't had a real heavy application of Atrazine last year.
I have put on fertilizer with a pull behind spreader and ATV on small patches, it's just hard to calibrate sometimes. Remember for clover you don't need any nitrogen in your fertilizer.
There are lot's of ways to put in clover, including frost seeding (no tillage required), seeding with oats (cover crop to limit weeds) and clipping the oats off.
Just remember...clover seed is fine and you can't "bury" it, pack the seedbed and just barely cover it by repacking or dragging a plank or logchain over it.

I dont have much advice on what to do or when. Regarding the spreader, I have used pull behind units and last year I bought a Bumper Buddy electric spreader for my ATV. I spread fertilizer and seed with both, and I much prefer the ATV mounted spreader to the pull behind. Cost is about the same, but since your not pulling it you dont have to worry about rough terrain, backing up, fliping the pull behind, easier to store, and easier to make sharp turns. Unless you need several hundred lbs of capacity (you shouldnt with small plots) I dont see any advantage to pull behind units. For clover seed I just use a hand spreader though since its so small. Didnt try the BB spreader with clover.

Top Bottom