Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Getting ready for foodplot

Fulldrw

Well i got my foodplot disked yesterday. Is it still a bit early to put in clover and chicory? I was thinking maybe wait a week. Then harrow it really good, plant, harrow again. Attempting to do that all before a good rain. Does that sound like a good idea? Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
Be careful not to get the seed too deep. Rolling would be better for small seed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can't stress that enough!! Roll it, broadcast seed, roll it again.
I don't think you can plant clover seed "to early", I frost seeded mine in March, so go for it!

Regarding frost seeded clover... I planted clover twice earlier this year and both times I got a snow/rain following that I thought would be ideal to set the clover seed. However, so far it doesn't look like my seed is sprouting. (I have winter wheat coming up that had been planted last year.)

When would one expect clover to appear? How long should I wait?

You have a little bit of time before it comes up, maybe a month or 6 weeks after warm up....btw.....the first sprouts are tiny.

Daver- I'm quite a bit south and I have just started to see tiny sprouts, most no bigger than the head of a pin today but many many more than late last week.

I haven't checked mine yet this spring but I wouldn't expect much for awhile yet. This warm weather keeps up they should start, but as noted...very very small at first. Give it some time yet!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding frost seeded clover... I planted clover twice earlier this year and both times I got a snow/rain following that I thought would be ideal to set the clover seed. However, so far it doesn't look like my seed is sprouting. (I have winter wheat coming up that had been planted last year.)

When would one expect clover to appear? How long should I wait?

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked mine today and it's just starting, some are a little more obvious but most are pretty tiny. Plenty of weeds...funny how they grow 3 times faster then anything else...
smirk.gif

Top Bottom