Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Giant Landowners- Hunters like you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fatboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess what upsets me is the Drury's have become land wh##e by buying up land, making it a deer haven and turning it for a profit and taking advantage of the 10- whatever it is to buy up more and not having to pay taxes, which takes more ground away from the average hunter to have a place to go. This land will probably not be purchased by a resident, but by a NR, which is fine but takes more and more land from residents.

Not picking on you T$, but like Dor said it is hard for you to be bias. The magazine you work for makes it money off of advertising it places in it. I am a subscriber and enjoy the magazine.

I agree with Bowmaker, but think it all boils down to greed, which has gotten this country in the situation it is in now. Hopefully after this country gets back on it's feet land prices will stable and I can purchase a little piece of heaven. But I will be damned if I buy a chunk for $3000.00 to $4000.00 an ac. because somebody with a name put some food plots on it. </div></div>Exacty you hit it on the head there fatboy!!

<span style='font-size: 26pt'> <span style="color: #FF0000">GROUP HUG!!! </span> </span>

group%20hug.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fatboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #FF0000">I guess what upsets me is the Drury's have become land wh##e by buying up land, making it a deer haven and turning it for a profit </span>and taking advantage of the 10- whatever it is to buy up more and not having to pay taxes, which takes more ground away from the average hunter to have a place to go. This land will probably not be purchased by a resident, but by a NR, which is fine but takes more and more land from residents.

Not picking on you T$, but like Dor said it is hard for you to be bias. The magazine you work for makes it money off of advertising it places in it. I am a subscriber and enjoy the magazine.

I agree with Bowmaker, but think it all boils down to greed, which has gotten this country in the situation it is in now. Hopefully after this country gets back on it's feet land prices will stable and I can purchase a little piece of heaven. But I will be damned if I buy a chunk for $3000.00 to $4000.00 an ac. because somebody with a name put some food plots on it. </div></div>

I'd say more like land pimps.

So they are bad guys for buying land and selling it for profit?

What about people who have inherited farms from Grand parents and sell them now in order to get rich?

I guess everybody who sells something "we" wish "we" had is a bad person.

How about real estate agents who sell land and make money?

What about sites like this hunting land www.buyillinoisland.com

I guess just because a group is out in front of people they are bad. I don't understand that.

I know their are people on this site that own 500 or more acres, are they all bad people too? Just because they own something we would all like?

Come on, I wanna know this! What would you sacrifice to own 500 acres? Think about it hard, you could do it! These people have found a way to do it, and we look down on them for doing it?

I would like someone to point out what they are really against people like Drury's or Kisky's for. Is it because of the land they hunt? Is it because they own land? Is it because they live what "we" may or may not consider a dream?

I don't understand the concept of putting someone down for getting to a point we would all like to be!

I bet if your grandpa left you 1000 acres you'd hunt it and manage it with no problem and wouldn't be here looking down on others who have 1000 arces. And if you wanted to make some money you might even sell some of it. You may not admit it, but I bet you would!

But you would pry look down on people who owned 3000 acres. Where does it stop?

Or buy2hunt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my opinion will remain the same regardless of my profession. that is a weak arguement and an unfair blanket statement about me, i dont appreciate it at all! turn the tables and all of your opinions are biased as well because you are outside looking in.

oh, and the drury's turning their land around for profit!

thats called business

since you all have spirited opinions on this matter, enlighten me as to how you think the industry should exist.....

should everything be free????
should land ownership be capped at 150 acres??
should professional hunters be restricted on antler size so all of you can feel better about yourselves?

help me out here, cause all im seeing is finger pointing and accusations to greed, but in reality it seems like envy to me </div></div>

I think your getting a little carried away bud. I can't speak for others but the jist of what I was saying boils down to a longing for a time when things were cheaper and hunting land was easily accessed.

I dont begrudge anyone for doing business or owning a large tract of land. That is the american way and being successful should be applauded. I also dont begrudge any pro hunters personally as they are doing what they love and making a buck while doing it. I know several and almost all them are down to earth guys who sacrifice other things in life to do what they love. Its not all the glamour you might think.

Although this thread has morphed into several areas I will try an analogy to illustrate the single point I was making:

The problem arises when everyone wants to be like Mike, except they are only 5'5", have a horse Sh!t "jumper" and certainly cant "dunk".

In the past they would have stuck to horseshoes, but now due to commercialization they spend 3 to 5 days a year on there "court", dont invite you to practice, and if you want to play on game day you can for a price, but then you need to have one arm tied behind your back.

Now dont interpret this wrong. They aren't doing anything wrong and I don't hold it against them. Its just that they never realized they even had a "court" in the past and admission was free. Now they just sell box seats all due to commercialization.

Now I am somewhat of a hypocrit as I have participated in almost all of things that have caused the current state of hunting, but I understand what some are saying. There is no right or wrong really.......its just how things have progressed. Its not due to any one person or theme, but a culmination of thousands of little trends that have us where we are and will be the cause of where we go from here.

I just hope we dont turn the whole country into Texas. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

(ps I've been hunted TX and really enjoyed it, just wouldn't want to live there) /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

BuckStop, yeah, I'd say my true opinion is probably in the middle of all of this. That's why I kept in REASONABLY short and somewhat in the middle. I really can understand how this can be a hot-topic and I understand all sides, I truly do.

Again, (not that anyone cares about my opinion here), my personal short opinion I've said a few times now, I am totally cool and see some wonderful things done by big wealthy land owners, all for it if you can do it, GREAT!!!! On the flip side, I have not been convinced they are in close to the same ballpark compared to a guy with a 40 acre piece, I have seen the 2 extremes in too many cases and I'm not blind. **One problem I have with SOME giant landowners- SOME are out for big bucks and let the doe numbers get WAY out of control, seen it too many times!!! Not all owners but some!

A giant buck is hard to kill anywhere!!! I know for a fact I could grow and kill far more gigantic whitetails if I had 1,500 acres- FACT. I know I could have 10x better hunting and kill far bigger bucks if I owned 1,500 compared to the day I owned an 80 acre chunk or hunted in MI. How many times can I hear a guy with 1,500 acres say "I'm a hunter just like you, hunting deer like you and in situations like you" or some variance- you'll hear it a ton if you look for it OR the magazine articles giving hunting advice because the writer has had success with XYZ that he's writing on with his 2,000 acre piece he hunts- "here's how to do it and here's what will work for you" the article says, come on now.

**Most of post has been interesting, respectful and I appreciate the different perspectives on a hot topic, friends can agree and disagree, it's all good!!!

Bottom line is these guys suck up to people that dont know them. The respectful people in the community welcome them, local hunters offer to take them out and show them around. Next thing you know the respectable hunter is searching for a place to hunt cause these jerks stepped on and around your toes to hunt the ground that you was hunting for years. Money talks and BS walks!!!! And some of you guys are ok with this? Give me a break fellas. Some of you guys that lease ground, what happens when they sneak in behind you and all the work making food plots and managing the deer herd is gone over another $1000. Lets tell the truth fellas. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I would like someone to point out what they are really against people like Drury's or Kisky's for. Is it because of the land they hunt? Is it because they own land? Is it because they live what "we" may or may not consider a dream?

</div></div>

Meet Mr. Drury once and will not do it again. He was a jerk.
Eddie Salter also fits in that group. IMO.
I do not really watch anything of the Kisky's (You asked) /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

As far as owning and selling land if you take the risk you should get the reward.

Where everything is headed from where it has been our kids will be lucky to enjoy it unless they are very wealthy.

As far as the post I really do think it would be easier to kill a big buck with more land available depending on where it was located.

THA4 your last post that DOR quoted seemed to be a little angry and over the top so I did something that I normally wouldn't do. I remembered something recently where you seemed to have a little different view point on this commercialization issue and what the end results could be. I found this post from last June regarding a Web Site for Friends of Iowa regarding NR landownership, and copied it. Here it is.

"it takes a lot of nerve posting these thoughts on here in front of a lot of VERY passionate Iowa hunters, but you did and i will respectfully respond.

thus far this post has maintained rather sound discussion, but the following challenges a response.......

It is very evident FOI has an agenda and lots to gain by their silly little web site and organization of whoever's from where-ever's.

Quote:First, roughly 20% of the Iowa landscape is owned by a non-resident. This means that they control hunting access to 1/5 of the state and likely around 1/5 of the state's deer herd. For the sake of Iowa's deer herd, doesn't it make sense for these non-resident landowners to have access to more deer tags with fewer restrictions?

I am not sure where that number came from, i highly doubt 20% of Iowa is NR owned! If that were the case, our current regulations would not exist, there would be an opponent the same size (or bigger) and same structure of the IBA that would always refute and argue the IBA's standpoints. so im gonna throw the BS flag on that one!

for the sake of Iowa's deer herd, it DOES NOT make sense to lift many of the restrictions Iowa currently has on NR deer hunters. if the state of Iowa were to lessen the restrictions, many more NR land owners would surface and could buy up a majority of the available land here in Iowa, as that would be a "guarantee" tags each year. that in turn would force the currently high prices through the roof making expensive leases the only option for those who hunt under permission only. AND permission only hunters would be come extinct, which is the majority of resident hunters! Not to mention the incredible hunting you seem to enjoy would diminsh as the herd would eventually show signs of more hunters!

Quote:Second, I challenge anyone on this site to name a state east of the Missouri River where it is HARDER for a non-resident to get a deer tag?

you know what, there isnt a state like ours and for good reason! We have one of the nations most coveted tags because of the quality hunting we have, however, like it was said, a Booner doenst live around every tree, Iowa has been blown up bigger than it should be...... its still huntin'. the novelity of the NR Iowa Deer tag is what makes Iowa so special, if you got a tag every year, many more deer would get whacked and the novelity would eventually wear off..... seems to me like Iowa knows that and if they open the flood gates, the long-term affects would be negative....

Quote:Third, if you live in Iowa but own land in any of the surrounding states, you can get a non-resident deer tag for that state much more easily than you can in reverse.

many other states have done what you are proposing and are seeing negative affects because of that, MN for example. and just cause "everyone's doin' it" doesnt make it right.....

Quote:Fourth, I think it would be extremely selfish for me to uproot my family, quit my job, and move back to Iowa so that I can more easily get a deer tag.

it is extremely selfish to buy land in Iowa because you can, and not allow anyone to hunt it in your absence. if you think it is selfish to up-root your family for the purpose of shooting deer because you own land in another state, then bad call on your behalf for buying the land in the first place, ESPECIALLY since you knew the rules in the first place!

Quote:Finally......I strongly believe there is an injustice in the way non-resident tags are now issued and instead of standing around and complaining......

you have a monetary agenda, money to be earned and a trophy wall to be built by the laws being changed to better suit your goals.

again, you knew the rules/laws when you signed the paperwork to become an Iowa NR landowner. now you want to complain about the current regs...... maybe you oughta take a closer look at your investments before signing the checks!

Quote:I am helping to do something about it.

i would hardly call it helping......

You wanna enjoy the rights of Iowa hunters, then i suggest you be "selfish" and move your family up here! i doubt you will find better living conditions, and better people anywhere else in the country! Iowa is a gem, not only for it's hunting, but also for it's people, and im damn proud of it!

I have nothing agains NR landowners and i have nothing agains NR hunters, they are great for the economy and bring lots of GOOD to Iowa...... BUT i do strongly feel that what we have is worth protecting and most certianly worth regulating! I fully stand behind the current system and fully support the IBA!

Edited by THA4 (06/03/08 08:51 PM)

PROUD IBA MEMBER

I am not meaning to insult you or slap you down but it seems to me that you you are expressing many of the same complaints that most of us are now about the commercialization and making a business of the sport of deer hunting. After all isn't it ok as long as it is just business? Are we just jealous of these wealth NR landowners who own more land than we do and who just want to pay their own way and get to hunt their land every year? After all they did earn it because they worked hard for it and would certainly add dollars and business to our sport. We all want to protect what we have but sometimes we have a different view point on just how to do that. Again no disrespect intended but I just wanted to jog your memory?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bottom line is these guys suck up to people that dont know them. The respectful people in the community welcome them, local hunters offer to take them out and show them around. Next thing you know the respectable hunter is searching for a place to hunt cause these jerks stepped on and around your toes to hunt the ground that you was hunting for years. Money talks and BS walks!!!! And some of you guys are ok with this? Give me a break fellas. Some of you guys that lease ground, what happens when they sneak in behind you and all the work making food plots and managing the deer herd is gone over another $1000. Lets tell the truth fellas. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif </div></div>

Sounds like you have been burned. That stinks, but the world isn't a completely negative place unless you make it that way!

I had a dodge durango once, and had all kinds of tranny problems, I will never own a dodge again, but I won't tell others that buy dodges that they are wrong.

Risto, you hit the nail on the head!!! LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!

WOuld you take 40 acres is prime Iowa or 1000 in (insert crap state here)....

I guess I'll go out on a limb and say that I believe you have more deer traveling and can affect them more on a big section, but it isn't just the deer.

With a big section you can have sanctuaries, you can put in plots, but it takes that much more to manage. Most people with under 80 acres simply don't try! I bet money if you talk to people with BIG sections, they kill their big bucks in small sections year after year!

Hell I would love to own a 40 right smack in the middle of Drury(since we have been using them)Big section! Then, after killing some monsters, I would gladly sell it to them for a PREMIUM PRICE!!!

But I, like in leasing, have a different outlook than many on this site. Not Wrong, nor right, just different!

I also do not "envy" those that own large tracks, and have excellent hunting,,ie,,,many opportunities at mature animals. Envy is wanting what another has and hating them for having it and wishing them ill. I do not. I "Admire", what they have. I do wish the hobby of hunting hadn't turned into a big $$ Industry. I do think that the videos and hunting merchandise is promoted to the backyard hunter thinking they wil have the results these large land, big business hunters, have. This is disingenuous. Not sure I spelled that right. They should put a disclaimer on these shows and products saying,,"Your results may differ, according to how much property you hunt, and the condition of your deer herd". I came out here to iowa,thinking I would see more deer and older deer on my little 40. The guy that sold it to me kinda pushed the idea too. I have learned hunting quality can vary a whole bunch,,even in your local neighborhood. I was used to overused public land hunting only. Like others have said,,I just kinda wish I had gotten out here earlier,,for the "good Ol days", but maybe they weren't so good. In fact in the future these might be looked at as the good ol days? who knows??

I for one think there are more big bucks today than ever before the problem arises in accessing them. This is one area where commercialization has helped for certain. The quantity of mature animals has increased in many areas. MAybe this means you need less land now than in years past?

"They should put a disclaimer on these shows and products saying,,"Your results may differ, according to how much property you hunt, and the condition of your deer herd". "...............................NOW thats funny. I dont care who you are. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Daver, I agree with you 100%. Thomas, I don't believe your opinion would remain the same regardless of your profession. I do not think it is a weak argument and unfair blanket statement about you when you make a living in the hunting and fishing industry. Just wanting to know are you paid for the video you shot for Midwest Whitetail or was it just for the love of it.

You and Andy say that the Drury's turning there land around for profit is a business, but I still call them ho's due to what they are doing is taking away from the average hunter. Andy I can somewhat understand how you feel being a young entrepreneur owning several businesses, but I don't like the direction it is going.

I envy nothing these people have. The Lakosky's, Drury's, and Kisky's all came from out of state to profit on what our DNR have produced as a great resource.

I am happy with the two small farms I have hunted the past 20+ years. But just like when I restored cars and built scooters, when the big money gets involved it takes the fun out of it and I will walk away when I will not pay to play. The one's I feel sorry for are our kids.

But hey the way our economy is now the bottom has fallen out of the Harley's so maybe I can start bulding them again in the winter instead of hunting if it come to that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fatboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I envy nothing these people have. The Lakosky's, Drury's, and Kisky's all came from out of state to profit on what our DNR have produced as a great resource.

</div></div>

I think that pretty much sums up why alot of people on here don't exactly idolize the people mentioned. I least that's what I don't like about them. It's not that they are profiting from Iowa's deer-it's that they are doing it at the expense of Iowa hunters. Just about every piece of land that is bought by a NR is another spot that an Iowan can't hunt... buy hey it's just business right?

So you against NR landowners, not commercialized hunting?

Be Honest, do you think their isn't NR who frequently visit sites like this to see what deer are killed in Iowa?

Those shows do kill deer in iowa, but also in COlorado, Missouri, Kansas and many many more....

A site called "iowawhitetail" in theory is just causing just as much havoc as the an other "commercialization" yet you all take part here?

Explain the difference? Only one I can see is that they profit!

P.S. I am not intending to upset anyone or have anyone ticked at me, just trying to see the other side!

Also, as a quick update, I just did a count on Drury's website!

They post all harvests in their journal on all staff members!
this way there is no misleading information or B.S.

Here is the list of states with kills:
Illinois-22
Missouri-14
Iowa-13
Kansas-5
Kentucky-5
North Dakota-2
Wyoming-2
Texas-2
Virginia-1
Ohio-1

These are the Whitetail harvests in Oct and November. I stopped counting there becuase I think it somewhat proves my point! These Guys are NOT targeting Iowa Only...

Iowa was Third onthe kill list...

And to head off the, NR tag thing, so what... You are saying NRs buy land here cause of shows, and I am saying if I was an NR, following your description, I would buy in Illinois or Missouri first!

Just thought I would bring some fact to the assumations!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timekiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fatboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

... buy hey it's just business right?

</div></div>

To be honest with some people it is "just business".

I really do not think that everyone has the same passion that we do
for the animal or the sport.

I have had land sold from underneath me, around me and everywhere else. Do I like it no but some people do not believe in this sport the way we do.

I am sure there are things they deeply believe in that I do not like either.

When money is involved someone will always be there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you against NR landowners, not commercialized hunting?

Be Honest, do you think their isn't NR who frequently visit sites like this to see what deer are killed in Iowa?

Those shows do kill deer in iowa, but also in COlorado, Missouri, Kansas and many many more....

A site called "iowawhitetail" in theory is just causing just as much havoc as the an other "commercialization" yet you all take part here?

Explain the difference? Only one I can see is that they profit!

P.S. I am not intending to upset anyone or have anyone ticked at me, just trying to see the other side! </div></div>

I guess you could say I'm against whatever keeps me or anyone I know from enjoying a part of our heritage in our own state. I think it sad that the companies that make their money from hunter's turn around and crap on the people they got rich from.

I know there's all kinds of NR's that look to this site for their dose of horn porn.

Ask the Illinois and Kansas residents who are members of this site what their thoughts are on commercialization of hunting and NR hunters.

Top Bottom