Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Giant Landowners- Hunters like you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, as a quick update, I just did a count on Drury's website!

They post all harvests in their journal on all staff members!
this way there is no misleading information or B.S.

Here is the list of states with kills:
Illinois-22
Missouri-14
Iowa-13
Kansas-5
Kentucky-5
North Dakota-2
Wyoming-2
Texas-2
Virginia-1
Ohio-1

These are the Whitetail harvests in Oct and November. I stopped counting there becuase I think it somewhat proves my point! These Guys are NOT targeting Iowa Only...

Iowa was Third onthe kill list...

And to head off the, NR tag thing, so what... You are saying NRs buy land here cause of shows, and I am saying if I was an NR, following your description, I would buy in Illinois or Missouri first!

Just thought I would bring some fact to the assumations! </div></div>

If IA had looser restrictions I'm sure that they would be # 1 on that list. I do agree with you in that if I was from somewhere like the east coast, I would buy in Northern MO before IA. I don't know that anyone said they're targeting IA only either man.

I would like to apologize to Sligh1 though. I think that we've gone way off topic now.

It just seems kind of funny the Mark Dury claimed Grand River Ia. as home for several years and now is a Mo. resident. Do you really think he lived in Grand River? I think he played the game and used the loop holes to be a Ia. resident, but something seems funny that most of that ground is for sale or been sold and bought some in Clarke county and are no foucusing on northen mo.

Yea Andy Ia. may be third on there list, but everyone knows about Il. and Mo. is their home state. How many Pro Staff do they have that call these states home, plus anyone can buy a tag over the counter in those two. Also are they pimping land anywhere else but iowa and their home state?

I would tell any NR to buy ground in Mo. Hell I have even thought about buying ground just across the boarder in nothern Mo. if I can save $1500.00 to 2000.00 an ac. I would only have to drive 15 to 30 minutes longer then if I bought in Ia. and be able to puchase a tag every year.

Wow...what a post. I just killed about an hour reading it. Very interesting for sure.

Here is an idea and I say this with tongue in cheek since I am on the internet talking to you fine folks, but how do people feel about the invention of the internet and what is has/can/is doing for the world of hunting? Everything you want to know is at your fingertips, thus driving the commercialization even farther. So many people are out to make a buck because of the advertisement you can get on the internet? You have access to anything you want at your fingertips...stuff that in the "olden" days you actually had to research on your own by picking up a pen and writing a letter or making phone calls.

How many of these big name hunting people now days could have been as huge as they are without the internet when people didn't know so much about them? How much ground was sold out from under people back in the day because the new NR buyers knew about the huge bucks that were on it from an online real estate listing that catered towards selling hunting land and showed a half dozen huge bucks on it from trail cams that were invented to help cater to the online industry by posting pictures from their camera?

When did the "recreational land" craze really kick in? Was it before the internet? I never even really heard about anyone when I was growing up who bought ground just to deer hunt on...maybe it happened and I just didn't know about it because it wasn't at my finger tips.

I dunno...just things I think about I guess. In my honest opinion, I truly believe the world was a better place before the internet and hunting sure seemed a helluva lot simpler then too. I believe it's the internet that has allowed this all to happen which in turn has changed everything.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot2Kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I truly believe the world was a better place before the internet and hunting sure seemed a helluva lot simpler then too. I believe it's the internet that has allowed this all to happen which in turn has changed everything.......
</div></div>

So........what you're telling us is that Al Gore is to blame for all of this? I'm gonna get that sum-bench!!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I just hope we dont turn the whole country into Texas. </div></div>

Give Texas back to the Mexicans! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When did the "recreational land" craze really kick in? Was it before the internet? I never even really heard about anyone when I was growing up who bought ground just to deer hunt on...maybe it happened and I just didn't know about it because it wasn't at my finger tips.
</div></div>

I remember before the internet was a popular, common thing that there was one realtor that specialized in listing Southern Iowa hunting properties. I even have a copy of an old flier he posted in a local sporting goods store from the early '90's or late '80's. (It will make you sick to see what you could have bought back then though.)

So I think there was limited, but still some, interest in buying ground for recreational purposes say up until the last 10 years or so. I think it has exploded though in the past 8-10 years and the internet, because of greater awareness, has been a contributing factor.

But, just my opinion, I think the internet, hunting shows, videos and whatever other forms of communication or channels that are widely distributed has led to a great deal more understanding as to what is available and where. This "mass education" I think has led to some areas becoming more popular, and then more expensive, than they used to be through the years.

I know I am more informed about deer hunting now than what I was even 10 years ago, let alone 20, and a lot of that has come via this site and others like it. 20 years ago I am not sure I remember anyone referring to a buck as a "150 class" and if they did there was little chance they actually knew what it meant. They were either big bucks or little bucks and either way they were going to get shot on sight. I know back in the day I never considered the age of a buck before I shot him and we commonly passed every doe in sight to shoot even a forkhorn...because it was a BUCK.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the internet and other forms of communication have led to good developments too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kind of like the tundra commercials.........

</div></div>

<span style="color: #CC0000"> <span style='font-size: 26pt'>HEY </span> </span> .................I resemble that remark.

Your nothin but a dodge freak!!!!!!!!!!

Just my observation but I think there are some folks that have really pushed the edge of forum etiquette in this thread. This thing has turned into a POS and it's not because there's been disagreement but rather the way in which it's been communicated. I'm not telling anyone else what to do but I'm outa here hoping this one hits the chute.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot2Kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I truly believe the world was a better place before the internet and hunting sure seemed a helluva lot simpler then too. I believe it's the internet that has allowed this all to happen which in turn has changed everything.......
</div></div>

So........what you're telling us is that Al Gore is to blame for all of this? I'm gonna get that sum-bench!!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

That bastard! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Daver...very good points..."mass education" is exactly what I was trying to get at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just my observation but I think there are some folks that have really pushed the edge of forum etiquette in this thread. This thing has turned into a POS and it's not because there's been disagreement but rather the way in which it's been communicated. I'm not telling anyone else what to do but I'm outa here hoping this one hits the chute. </div></div>

Yea this thread like the energizer bunny.

Plain and simple:

I would love to own 2000 acres, but I don't.

If I did, I would not feel bad about it one bit.

I understand that others would lose hunting land.

This country is the greatest country in the world because a person CAN own 2000 acres and have their own piece of heaven.

I cannot hunt land that I once hunted because Mr. Lane (ONECAM) purchased it.

So has the success of this website aided in me losing access? I would say so.

Can I blame Mr. Lane? NO WAY!

This same piece of land is now advertised for sale on this website. Will a profit be made on an impending sale? Probably so.

This is the way our world works. Get over it.

Hunting is becoming more commercialized... nearly everything in our lives is more commercialized than it once was.

I love this web site (dbltree's musing's on habitat improvement is priceless) - heck write a book dbltree /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I enjoy watching others shoot deer on TV.

Yes, I am scared of Iowa being overrun by outfitters, NR's, Wealthy, FOI, whoever...

Things are changing, do what you can to get or keep a place to hunt or quit crying.

I feel better.

You should be scared S.C. Alot of us on here have lost ground over the years, and alot more will. But I think we will see who is crying when Iowa becomes another Il.

Like Daver, I looked at a chunk of ground in the late 80's in Decatur county for $80.00 an ac. Man if I knew then what I know now. It was bottom ground that was to thick to run cattle on,and to much work to clear out for crops. Trash ground according to the farmer. I also no a farmer in the same area that gave away the same type ground in the area, because it was not worth anything. Wish I would have known him then. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moosehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kind of like the tundra commercials.........

</div></div>

<span style="color: #CC0000"> <span style='font-size: 26pt'>HEY </span> </span> .................I resemble that remark.

Your nothin but a dodge freak!!!!!!!!!! </div></div>

LOL!!!

Bring your tundra down to the shop and let's do some testing!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

One thing to add, it's not a big land owner thing BUT, as folks have said before- it's SMART the hunt where big bucks live. I used to hunt MI, I'd say it makes me a smarter hunter to go hunt Iowa.
BUT, with the giant acreage thing, I don't care what state you live in, you could make any state have giant bucks with enough acreage.

Still say it's cool what David Morris said on that Tecomate show "I'm no better a hunter than the guys in Pennsylvania, Michigan, etc. I was lucky enough to own a gigantic chunk of land. Gotta hunt where the giant bucks are and I couldn't do that hunting on 40 acres in PA" OR something like that. he's basically saying that owning giant land DOES give someone a giant advantage and does not mean they are a better hunter because they can consistently shoot giants off thousands of acres compared to a guy who can kill a 2 year old in Michigan. Same goes for folks in IA though, the dude with 1,500 acres compared to 40 acres, come on now.

Again, someday I hope to have 1,000 acres BUT yes, I'd have an advantage over the time I owned an 80. *I do think I'm a better hunter now (I don't own giant acreage now) than earlier of course. I love managing land and hope to have enough to manage and have family and friends out there.

Was for the most part a fun discussion, thanks.

If any of "us" were on the Campbell outdoor challenge, do "we" believe we would kill just as big, if not bigger deer, then Kisky's or Drury's?

I agree that the land is a huge part, but I am just saying that, on film or not, on their land or not, I respect kisky's and drury's for killing big boys every single season. Maybe we are all that good, but I am saying, I don't know. It would be fun to do a challenge. It would be fun to go hunt 2000 acres head to head with some people just to find out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: enis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WE would smoke em bud!!!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

HOOOORRRAAHHHHH

I think we could. I think for alot of us it is time. If I had from oct.-dec. off and enough places to go without burning out stands I think I would have a good chance and so would others on this site. But each year I loose more time to be out due to kids and family activities.

you will also notice that the guys on those videos that DON'T have the giant land DO NOT USUALLY kill the biggest bucks. They usually shoot "Nice" deer BUT most of the time they don't shoot the fully mature- 5+ yr old deer. the guys with the 1,000's of acres kill the gigantic deer ON AVERAGE. Of course there's exceptions, I am talking about on average.

An example of this (I don't know these guys at all!!) is the Primetime videos- there's a group of guys who always kill the absolute monsters of the videos- Skoronski's (or whatever his name) and Steve Snow. (nothing against these guys at all!!!!!!!) BUT my buddy owns a little piece around there in the area they own SEVERAL THOUSAND ACRES in a block of land. Good hunters, probably BUT coincidence they shoot the rediculously OLD deer every year? no I don't think so. Give me 3,500 in that area and I'll come home with the rediculous deer.

*On the videos, look how many regular guys shoot "ok" deer- I mean deer you probably pass everyday. It's all the time 120-140"'s- deer that are on every piece of land in Iowa. (you pass that deer some evening & come home to watch someone shoot that or smaller on video- that seems strange?!?!) /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom