Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gobbler Success Stories - POST YOURS HERE

I

iowalongbeard

Shot this gobber at 10yds. He came in with two other toms, they were
screaming all they way. I brought them in from 150 yds out. My son wanted
to lay claim to this one. He weighed 23lbs. had a 10in beard. Time to
start trying this with a bow. Good luck in the field guys and gals they
are talkin!

Jeff

Mvc-009f.jpg

Thanks for posting my photo Iowa longbeard, I lost the photo online after I posted it to the website. Thanks

Congrats on a nice bird. Way to go. How long were his spurs?
Id leave my story but I already posted mine on another thread.

Good luck guys
Numba1

Went out and sat in the rain this morning. Cold and windy -no gobbling at all. Just gave a couple of soft tree yelps before fly down. About 6:45 I caught a white baseball bobbing up and down out of the corner of my eye. He walked along the field edge and right into my two decoys. Stopped in front of the jake decoy about 20 yards out and my 12 gauge dropped him. 26 lbs, 10 inch beard, 1 1/2 inch spurs

Last Saturday was opening day in the unit I hunt here in Nebraska. After arguing with hens and a few gobbles everthing went quiet. The last time I heard the toms they were going away from me. About 8:30 a.m. I decided to leave that area. When I opened the door on the blind, much to my supprize, 2 toms were less than 5 yards away. Those 3 toe's had came in quiet. I had the muzzle loading shotgun in hand though and swung on one and fired. He went down and never even twitched. If I would of had another permit, I could of reloaded and shot the other one. He stuck around and was attacking his fallen comrade! I'm chasing old three toe's with the bow for the rest of the season. Good luck to all of you.

Got a jake last Wed. I passed them up last year and didn't get one so, this year when one came in behide my blind and walk out to a feeding hen decoy and started to mount it I let him have it. The paddern of my Rackmaster and carbon arrow with a 85 grin thunderhead put him down quick he ran about 10 yards and droped like a bag of rocks. he was 19 1/2 lbs and had a 4 1/2 inch bread.

Spring_2002_net.jpg

4/19/02
Dream hunt, 200 yard walk, a little over an hour. 25# Tom that came 300 yards across open pasture to the call. No hens in sight. The kind of hunt that would lure a first timer into an obsession.(fortunately I know it does not always work that way)

It only takes 2 things to get a turkey, patience and one that WANTS to cooperate.

Good luck and safe hunting to everyone, I think I will go again 4th season as I missed out on bringing home some wood ticks
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 04-24-2002).]

Way to go BW!

What the h_ll you doing up at 3:30 AM posting messages when you could slept in?

Your out of the bush
smile.gif
man! Just kidding congrats to one of our more seasoned members.

TLH

2002%20Turkey%20603am%20001.jpg

I got this bird opening day of the first season about 5 to 10 minutes after fly down. They flew down in the timber and I did three yelps with the slate call and they responded, so I set it down and started to cluck and purr with the mouth call. Next thing I knew they were coming into the field I was set up on and a bunch of birds started flying down into my decoys. I passed up a few smaller birds and got this one. It surprised me when I picked it up how light it was. It was 18 lbs, 10 inch beard and 1 inch spurs. The only problem with this hunt is that it was over too soon.

Here is a picture of my dads first season tom.

MVC-008L.JPG

[This message has been edited by Youngbuck (edited 04-28-2002).]

On sunday the 31st both my older brothers shot a bird. My oldest brother Brad shot his first tom. Both of the toms had 3 beards.They both weighed 23#,one with a 10" and a 7" beards and the other with 9.75" and 6.75" beard. Has anyone else ever shot a bird with more than one beard?

i shot one in 1996 that had 4 beards and were all around 10 inches

shot a tom last morning of 2nd season. he only gobbled once about 30 yds away. was 22 lbs., 10 in. beard 1 in spurs. going after number 2 now. pics not back yet. good luck all

[This message has been edited by blnelson_48 (edited 05-02-2002).]

Had an unbelievable hunt Thursday morning. After spending 15 hours (several of them miserable) afield on Wednesday, my buddy and I slept in til 6 am then went to a new timber we'd only scouted once previously. About 7 a.m., we called an immediately got an answer so we set up quickly. After an hour wait with no more gobbles, we were just getting ready to move when he called again, CLOSE! We dropped back down and within 5 minutes, I caught a glimpse of two big toms sneaking past. I drew a bead on the second one and put him down. I didn't move a muscle and my buddy gave one short cluck and the other one stopped long enough for him to get his bird too. A DOUBLE!!!
It was my first bird (after two years empty handed) and his fifth. Mine had three beards (11, 5 & 4), 1-inch spurs, and weighed 23 pounds (scored 83 if I figured it correctly). His was 19 lbs, 11 1/2-inch beard and 1 inch spurs. We whooped and hollered for 15 minutes. When we paced it off, mine was 37-yards out and his was 39-yds. A perfect hunt. I'll put up some photos as soon as I get them back.

turkeys.jpg

Got number two for the year Friday morning. 21 lbs, 10 inch beard, 1 inch spurs. Had been set up near the roost site for a couple hours, heard lots of gobbling all around before sunrise, but nothing came in. So I thought I'd sneak up out of the timber with my binoculars to see if any toms were strutting out in the pastures. Crept over the crest of a hill and there's a tom looking straight at me in full strut not 20 yards away! Quick backed up and didn't hear any putting or running, so what the heck, I crawled back and grabbed my gun. Went back over the hill, dropped down under a big oak and gave a couple clucks - nothing. Tried a little yelping and nothing. After a few minutes I threw out some cutts and that got them gobbling - there was two of them just over the hill about 10 yards away. Within a couple minutes one of them crested the hill in full strut. Gave a put, he popped his head up and bam! that was that. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Was luck enough to kill my first with a bow on the first day of the season on the 15th from a double bull blind. I then travelled to Maryland to hunt with my Uncle and bagged a eastern that weighed 20lbs with a 10 and 1/2 inch beard and 1 inch spurs. I wasen't even in the timber 20 minutes or so before the bird flew off the roost and came into my call after just a couple yelps. Have my 4th season tag left yet to fill. What a blast!
It was very special to hunt with my Uncle for the first time turkey hunting. He was the person without knowing it that lit the fire of hunting and the great outdoors when I was 11 years old. Due to my dad being in the Military and travelling alot I never had the opportunity until two weeks ago to hunt with him. Thirty three years is along time. I made sure I told him how as a young kid he had made a difference in my life and inspired my great love of the outdoors. It meant alot to me. Don't ya just love it! Take a kid hunting and fishing. It could change their lives.

trpr- I had I-114 and a friend of his with me on the second day of second season. Fired up a bird at 9:00, dead at 9:30, weighing in at 24.5 lbs. Went to a second area, fired up a bird at 10:30, I shot him at 10:45 with my TK2000 Knight Muzzleloader with scope, and due to my positioning got a pretty good scope bite during the shot. Ended up killing the bird dead at plus 40 yards, then went to get 8 stitches to close the half-moon up between my eyes. When I left, I-114 and his buddy stayed and hunted the same spot and soon after I departed he shot a 15 pound jake. Of course we have some good blood pictures of my face and a helluva story for the 2002 season. This is the third year in a row they have hunted down hear with me and everytime on a Saturday we all kill out. This is the first time we had to go to a different location though. Great hunting. And, I too, agree with you on the enjoyment of hunting with family and experiencing the great outdoors. I just got back from two weeks of hunting in Missouri and I took my wife hunting with me yesterday, she thought when the sun came up and she began to get warm, it would be better to take a nap then to hunt. Oh well, I still enjoyed the time in the woods.... Take care- Full-Strut

I shot my 1st tom with my bow on may 2nd 8:45 AM. It was awesome!!! We set up on the edge of a bean feild. about 4:45 AM and had some gobbling. They flew down and landed in the adjoining property and strutted around til about 7am.Didnt listen to our calling. Well at 7:30am we had to get packing to go to work. We got back to the truck around 8:20 and I told my buddy that I was going to go check over this hill and see if there were any turkeys in the field on the other side. Well there was, 3 hens and one gobbler.(about 200 yrds away) I went back the the truck and got the blind and we snook up the hill set the blind up on the road bed that the farmer uses to get to his fields, in the middle of a CRP field, put the Jake decoy out about 5 feet from the blind. Did some calling and he started heading our way. He left his hens and was strutting up the road right to us. I knew that as soon as I saw him come over the hill I would have to shoot right away because our trucks were 50 yrds behind us and he would probably spook. He popped up over the hill 17 yrds away and I let him have it. It was great I never thought that we would be able to pull him away form his hens and come in to my double bull blind seting up in the middle of a CRP field. But it worked and I got my 1st tom. Well sorry this was so long. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!
BowHunt'nFool

BowHunt'nFool-

You must've went out and bought a PSE because I know after watching you guys shoot those Hoyt's that 17 yards is WAY too far for them!!!

Congrats on your bird, I was thinking about you fools the other day and how your season was going. Mine has sucked more than anything that has ever sucked before, congrats again.

Top Bottom