Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Great podcast to listen to! Steve Hansen on the Land Podcast

Sums it up accurately in my opinion. Originally in the Midwest rifles were not allowed because of flat terrain and the danger of hitting a house, structure, livestock, or people. Now muzzleloaders shoot 500 yards or more. So, it's just like shooting a high-powered centerfire rifle now. I wonder you could keep muzzleloader season but limit it to the older style muzzleloaders that shoot 100 yards =/-? That will increase age structure greatly if that change ever occurs.
Doesnt Kansas do a non modern season? Not sure what I am thinking, non scoped? I dont remember....maybe they changed that too

Doesnt Kansas do a non modern season? Not sure what I am thinking, non scoped? I dont remember....maybe they changed that too
Colorado does that, I’m sure it makes it harder but they now make crazy good open sights that guys can accurately shoot out to 300 plus yards. Only way to make it what it was meant to be (a primitive weapons season) is to go to flintlock only, old patch and ball. You’d see people giving up on muzzy season real quick when it’s hard to hit anything past 60 yards.

we can agree to disagree, but I think eliminating one tag for everyone is pretty fair.

Is there data that shows there's a statistically significant amount of hunters shooting 2+ bucks per year?

I ask because some of the regulatory changes purposed here would most likely be unpopular with large segments of hunters in Iowa. I think sometimes we forget that the vast majority of deer hunters aren't hardcore trophy hunters, and are generally satisfied with the current state of deer hunting. Education on how to grow better bucks is great, but I think we run the risk of turning people off by proposing new rules/regulations and running folks down for shooting 150" bucks.

The survey data from last year has lots of good, if not sometimes contradictory, information, but it's pretty clear the majority of hunters in Iowa are happy with current state:

I ask because some of the regulatory changes purposed here would most likely be unpopular with large segments of hunters in Iowa. I think sometimes we forget that the vast majority of deer hunters aren't hardcore trophy hunters, and are generally satisfied with the current state of deer hunting. Education on how to grow better bucks is great, but I think we run the risk of turning people off by proposing new rules/regulations and running folks down for shooting 150" bucks.
Well said OMB. We don't want to throw off the eletest vibe. We don't want to force them to choke on the trophy hunters wooden spoon. Then we become the ones with the conflict of interest and lose our credibility. Encourage, educate and fight the big ones in January.

Sums it up accurately in my opinion. Originally in the Midwest rifles were not allowed because of flat terrain and the danger of hitting a house, structure, livestock, or people. Now muzzleloaders shoot 500 yards or more. So, it's just like shooting a high-powered centerfire rifle now. I wonder you could keep muzzleloader season but limit it to the older style muzzleloaders that shoot 100 yards =/-? That will increase age structure greatly if that change ever occurs.
I'd love it. Make it actually a traditional season- blackpowder and open sights (or 1x scope). Leave crossbows there but limit the scope magnification.

Colorado does that, I’m sure it makes it harder but they now make crazy good open sights that guys can accurately shoot out to 300 plus yards. Only way to make it what it was meant to be (a primitive weapons season) is to go to flintlock only, old patch and ball. You’d see people giving up on muzzy season real quick when it’s hard to hit anything past 60 yards.
You could also limit the scope options. Certain muzzleloader seasons are blackpowder and open sights or 1x scope. That effectively makes any blackpowder gun a 100 yard max, and even that distance takes lots of practice with open sights.

I'd love it. Make it actually a traditional season- blackpowder and open sights (or 1x scope). Leave crossbows there but limit the scope magnification.
I'd be all for making muzzy season a more traditional weapon season just because I'd like to see us take a few steps backward in the technology realm in general. Taking the scopes off and making it black powder only would do most of that imo. I use a scope and smokeless powder but I'm willing to give that up for the greater good.
Does anyone know what percentage of bucks taken in iowa are killed in the muzzleloader seasons? It feels like there's lower hanging fruit that would have a greater impact but i could be wrong.

I'd be all for making muzzy season a more traditional weapon season just because I'd like to see us take a few steps backward in the technology realm in general. Taking the scopes off and making it black powder only would do most of that imo. I use a scope and smokeless powder but I'm willing to give that up for the greater good.
Does anyone know what percentage of bucks taken in iowa are killed in the muzzleloader seasons? It feels like there's lower hanging fruit that would have a greater impact but i could be wrong.
I'd be for it too. I don't know the numbers on bucks killed during muzz, but I do know a lot of young bucks get shot during this season (especially late muzz). I'd be all for increasing age structure and actually making hunting harder(not easier). Don't all the long-range muzzleloaders use a bolt action? If so, just ban any muzzleloader that uses a bolt, and you could keep the scope.

Would there be support for legislation that would only allow each Iowa resident to only Harvest a maximum of 2 Bucks per year. There would still be floating Landowner tags and your state wide tags but only 2 of which could be filled with antlered Deer.
Probably the most realistic idea yet on neutralizing the floating LO tag. It's doubtful it would have much impact but a nudge in the right direction. Most of the laws that you are going to change will need to be walked back incrementally. An example would be a powder charge restriction in late ML season or a low quota on Modern MLs with a higher tag cost. A lower quota for EM or no use of floating tags, youth or LO, during a quota season. Cell cam use during the season is a no brainer...they could almost enforce that how the laws are now. Another would be that every hunter during the shotgun seasons must start with an any sex tag.

I'd be for it too. I don't know the numbers on bucks killed during muzz, but I do know a lot of young bucks get shot during this season (especially late muzz). I'd be all for increasing age structure and actually making hunting harder(not easier). Don't all the long-range muzzleloaders use a bolt action? If so, just ban any muzzleloader that uses a bolt, and you could keep the scope.
Just curious how you know a lot of young bucks are killed during late muzzy. I’m all for discussions but that is an odd statement with nothing to back it up. And nope my smokeless is a break action.

Trigger control is easier said than done. Especially when a guy has only several seconds to decide. You’re better off not hunting a property than believe you can pass 170” 4 year old. But, how many have that luxury outside of the few that have multiple farms.

Trigger control is easier said than done. Especially when a guy has only several seconds to decide. You’re better off not hunting a property than believe you can pass 170” 4 year old. But, how many have that luxury outside of the few that have multiple farms.

H@ll my neighbors can't pass up a 120" 2 year old moving quickly..

I liked the podcast! I've never met Steve, but I can tell he obviously lives whitetails. One thing I can really relate to that he talked about is how hard it is to get on giant, old bucks now. I've thought about this a lot of the years and think it's mainly because hunting has become easier, and the great genetic bucks get shot when they are young. Everyone has cell cams, food plots, and weapons that make hunting easier and the great genetic bucks just don't have the chance to get old.
I've known Steve for many years, he's one of the best at managing big buck. I never grunt at a big mature buck; a snort wheeze is the best option but even that doesn't always work. He used to work as a guide for another outfitter but started his own a long time ago near Albia I believe and is top notch. I always stop to talk to him at the Great American Sports show in PA. Sitting on points but haven't been able to make it happen....yet!

Top Bottom