Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gun rust

streitl

I have a question for those in the know, or have had this experience happen to them. My buddy went out hunting last weekend in the sleet, snow, and rain. After hunting, he stuck his gun in his case, pulled it out on Monday, and there were some pretty good rust spots on his barrel. He shoots a Benelli Super Black Eagle II. We have already tried some gun oil with rust inhibitor (Knight) and solvent (hoppe's no. 9). Even after several applications, there are still rust spots. Would steel wool be an option, or do you think that would mess with the finish? Have any of you had the same problem? Thanks for the help.

From my experience, the steel wool will clean it up as good as it can be cleaned. Hit it with the wool, than oil. There will still be signs of damage/corrosion but it will look better than it did. This is what I've done on my guns. Someone please correct me if this is not the right way to fix it other than having the whole thing re-blued.

The Hoppes is a powder solvent that's why it didn't take care of the rust. I would go easy on the steel wool I don't know because I haven't used it on a gun, but I'd think that would mess with the finish big time. I have some stuff that was given to me by a that is pretty stiff, but non-abrasive. I'll try to find out what it is exactly and get back.

Ok, I just talked to the guy, and It was steel wool. Go and get the finest that you can find. He said it was triple 000. It that makes sense. Spray it with oil first and then use that. Don't press real hard while you're rubbing or you'll mess up the finish.

Good Luck and tell him to quit leaving wet guns in the case!

Use 0000, 4ot, steel wool and spray a small peice with WD40 then VERY lightly rub the spots. Make sure that you use plenty of WD. When you are finished wipe it down clean it with what ever cleaner solvent you like and then lightly reoil the barrel with something like Rem Oil and you should be good to go. If he had used the Rem Oil first and not left the gun cased wet he wouldn't have had the problem.

Top Bottom