Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

hf 2160 baiting

I dont think its stupid, just going to be hard to control neighbors, other people that hunt the same properties, etc etc... also, how does one really know if they get it all out? Lots of questions for me still I guess... I will just plant more food plots, and let the prions come up through the plants ;)

Yeah, established licks and old ones that are no longer replenished could really hose up a tight little property quick

Exactly why it should be banned completely on public land. Luckily, I haven't suffered in my haunts but know many who have.

I too, think there are bigger fish to fry but will be glad to see a resolution with this issue.

The way I see it IMO we don't want this bill to pass. Otherwise many hunters will have to get the shovel out. There are many small wood lots that will be illegal to hunt. Time to start sending those emails.

Would everyone be more agreeable with this law if the distance was cut to 100 yds?
100 yd radius circle is only 6.5 acres vs 200 yd = 26 acres

• Deleted by Thinkin Rut
Show…
When I was asked for thoughts on the bill I responded that I thought the 200 yard distance was a little strong and would get some push back. The response I got was the 200 yards was to make people think before they put a new mineral lick in. They do in fact want to discourage them.

Would everyone be more agreeable with this law if the distance was cut to 100 yds?
100 yd radius circle is only 6.5 acres vs 200 yd = 26 acres

Why do we need a distance at all? Make mineral legal, done.

Last edited:
Do you want to make it legal to have a 50# block of salt 20 yards from a treestand? I sure don't.

IMO: I'm don't think salt would be a big draw during bow season. On the other hand legalizing mineral per se would open the door to everyone who could say that their "Acorn Rage" or "Sugar Beet Crush" had a lot of salt in it and that is baiting.

If the legis-lawyers really feel the need to do something, a 100 yard compromise would be easier to accept.

IMO: I'm don't think salt would be a big draw during bow season. On the other hand legalizing mineral per se would open the door to everyone who could say that their "Acorn Rage" or "Sugar Beet Crush" had a lot of salt in it and that is baiting.

If the legis-lawyers really feel the need to do something, a 100 yard compromise would be easier to accept.

I totally agree with everything you just said - I think 100 yds is a fair compromise and gives us the clarity we have been asking for

I'd say that is about how I see it too. ^

I have been giving this some thought, maybe I am nuts on this. So I am thinking I will have mineral sites to cover, or eliminate. Also I share with 2 others one of whom doesn't talk with us about anything. Wonder if white barn lime dumped in the hole would be enough. It will stop them from digging I bet. Also what if they required a manger for mineral? Like a tagged station similar to bear bait? If you had a trophy rock in a mineral tub then it wouldn't leach and you could remove it. If you had a lot of rain I suppose it might fill with water and overflow??? Seems like if they have a rule based on distance then we will have to label and take responsibility for those sights. Also might help if prions are in the soil itself

I still dont know how you could monitor this, or be 100% legal. If another person hunts the property and has one out there, and if its a 10 acre property, you are pretty much screwed from my understanding. So if someone had one on public, how would that work? I dont think a distance is the "greatest" idea. I get what they are wanting to do, but if they are worried about people attracting deer, it still stems down to, food plots will do the same thing. Draw deer in. In fact, food plots become WAY more effective during hunting seasons, so why is the mineral a push. CWD, but if they are worried about the prions, studies have shown it grows up through plants too. So either its legal, or its not in my mind. I for one dont want to have to dig out my established licks that have been there for years. My stands are all further than 100 yds, but some are more than likely within 200 yds as the crow flies, but not the way the woods lay/how I am hunting the woods. (big river between a mineral lick, and my stand) (a ridge with a mineral lick on the opposite side)

Amendment proposed yesterday. Basically it says #1 you can't hunt in a baited area nor can you shoot a deer in a baited area #2 takes out 10 days before a season starts and puts in actual dates and #3 that covering or fencing a mineral site isn't good enough for it not to be considered baited.

The link is to the file, on the left side is a menu, pick "amendments" and the bill file pane will split with the file in the top pane and the amendment in the bottom. It takes some scrolling up and down in both panes to get it figured out.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=%24selectedGa.generalAssemblyID&ba=hf2403

I will attempt a "cut and paste" of the amendment into the bill so the bill would actually read the way is should as proposed so you don't have to scroll between panes. Ether that or my head will explode.

Last edited:
Don't know if this makes it easier to read or not, the proposed amends are in red.

HF 2403 (LSB 5942HV (2) 86)

HOUSE FILE 2403

BY COMMITTEE ON NATURAL RESOURCES

(SUCCESSOR TO HF 2160)

A BILL FOR

An Act relating to the baiting of deer on public or private property and providing penalties.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF IOWA:

Section 1. NEW SECTION. 481A.41 Baiting of deer.
1. As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires:
a.“Baited area” means any area where feed is placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered with the intent to lure, attract, or entice wildlife to a specific location.
b. (1) “Feed” means grain, fruit, vegetables, nuts, hay, salt, mineral blocks, or any other natural food materials; commercial products containing natural food materials; or by-products of such materials, that are capable of luring, attracting, or enticing wildlife to a specific location.
(2) “Feed” does not include any of the following:
(a) Food placed during normal agricultural activities including but not limited to feed placed for livestock that are present and are actively consuming the feed on a regular basis.
(b) Incidental feeding of wildlife within an active livestock operation.
(c) Crops planted and left standing as food plots for wildlife.
(d) Grain or other feed scattered or distributed as a result of normal agricultural, gardening, soil stabilization, or logging practices.
(e) Vegetation or other feed that is naturally deposited in an area.
<2. A person shall not hunt, take, or attempt to take deer while the person is on or in a baited area and a person shall not hunt, take, or attempt to take deer that is on or in a baited area.>
3. A person shall not place, expose, deposit, distribute, or scatter feed on a baited area on any private or public property, or knowingly allow another person to place, expose, deposit, distribute, or scatter feed on a baited area on private property under the person’s ownership or lease in <the state unless all feed is removed from the baited area during the period of time beginning on September 1 and ending on January 31 of the following year. If salt, minerals, or any other feed that will dissolve and leach into the soil is used as bait, the area shall be considered> a permanently baited area until such time as all contaminated soil is removed or until there is no longer evidence that deer are artificially attracted to or are accessing the site. A person shall not hunt, take, or attempt to take deer within two hundred yards of a permanently baited area until such time as all contaminated soil is removed from the area or until there is no evidence that deer are artificially attracted to or are accessing the area. <A baited area remains a permanently baited area regardless of any attempt to restrict access by deer to the area by covering or fencing the area, or by any other means.>
4. If salt, minerals, or any other feed that will dissolve and leach into the soil is placed in an area for agricultural purposes, that area shall not be considered a baited area or a permanently baited area.
5. A person shall not establish a baited area or place, expose, deposit, distribute, or scatter feed in an area with the intent to prevent or disrupt the hunting activities of another person. A violation of this subsection constitutes a violation of section 481A.125.

Sec. 2. Section 805.8B, subsection 3, paragraph e, Code 2016, is amended to read as follows:
e. For violations of sections481A.41, 481A.57, 481A.85, 481A.93, 481A.95, 481A.120, 481A.137, 481B.5, 482.3, 482.9, 482.15, and 483A.42, the scheduled fine is one hundred dollars.

EXPLANATION
The inclusion of this explanation does not constitute agreement with
the explanation’s substance by the members of the general assembly.
This bill prohibits hunting, taking, or attempting to take deer on or in a baited area. The bill also requires that if a person places feed in a baited area, all feed must be removed from that area at least 10 days before the opening day of the first fall deer hunting season. An area remains a baited area for 10 days following complete removal of all feed from the area, except for salt, minerals, or any other feed that will dissolve and leach into the soil, in which case the area is considered a permanently baited area until such time as all contaminated soil is removed or until there is no longer evidence that deer are artificially attracted to or are accessing the site. A person shall not hunt, take, or attempt to take deer within 200 yards of a permanently baited area until such time as all contaminated soil is removed from the area or until there is no evidence that deer are artificially attracted to or are accessing the area.
If salt, minerals, or any other feed that will dissolve and leach into the soil is placed in an area for agricultural purposes, that area is not considered a baited area or a permanently baited area.
A person shall not establish a baited area or place, expose, deposit, distribute, or scatter feed in an area with the intent to prevent or disrupt the hunting activities of another person. A violation of this provision constitutes intentional interference with lawful hunting under section 481A.125 and is punishable as a simple misdemeanor for a first offense and as a serious misdemeanor for any subsequent offense. A simple misdemeanor is punishable by confinement for no more than 30 days or a fine of at least $65 but not more than $625 or by both. A serious misdemeanor is punishable by confinement for no more than one year and a fine of at least $315 but not more than $1,875.
For purposes of the bill, “feed” is grain, fruit, vegetables, nuts, hay, salt, mineral blocks, or any other natural food materials; commercial products containing natural food materials; or by-products of such materials, that are capable of luring, attracting, or enticing wildlife to a specific location. “Feed” does not include food placed during normal agricultural activities including but not limited to feed placed for livestock that are present and are actively consuming the feed on a regular basis; incidental feeding of wildlife within an active livestock operation; crops planted and left standing as food plots for wildlife; grain or other feed scattered or distributed as a result of normal agricultural, gardening, soil stabilization, or logging practices; or vegetation or other feed that is naturally deposited in an area. A “baited area” is any area where feed is placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered with the intent to lure, attract, or entice wildlife to a specific location.
A violation of the bill’s provisions is punishable with a scheduled fine of $100.

#3 that covering or fencing a mineral site isn't good enough for it not to be considered baited.

I don't see that in there. To the contrary, it does say or until there is no longer evidence that deer are artificially attracted to or are accessing the site, which covering or fencing would effectively do.

This whole thing is just silly and dumb.

I don't see that in there. To the contrary, it does say or until there is no longer evidence that deer are artificially attracted to or are accessing the site, which covering or fencing would effectively do.

This whole thing is just silly and dumb.

The second red chunk in section #3?

<A baited area remains a permanently baited area regardless of any attempt to restrict access by deer to the area by covering or fencing the area, or by any other means.>

Top Bottom