Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

hf 2160 baiting

I see it still says two hundred yards... emails will be sent to be against this, just is not making anything more clear, and truly hosing up a lot of small properties IMO.

What a shame so many resources are being used as a knee jerk reaction to the Franz decision. Your govt is treating this like dooms day for deer hunting by their wording yet it's still only a $100.00 fine.

That looks pretty clear to me, if you have a mineral sight don't hunt within 200 yards of it. I don't like the wording until deer are no longer attracted to it.

Alrighty, let me put 100lbs of corn 200 yards away where I can't see it and hunt the trail leading to the corn :) PERFECT!

Alrighty, let me put 100lbs of corn 200 yards away where I can't see it and hunt the trail leading to the corn :) PERFECT!

This is the exact problem I was seeing.

I would have much rather seen an outlaw of feeding/baiting of feed/grain/etc from October thru January regardless of where it is and a complete legalization year round of mineral as it has no affect on deer during that time period.

sounds like there is a business opportunity to sell mineral testing soil samplers! hahaha

This is the exact problem I was seeing.

I would have much rather seen an outlaw of feeding/baiting of feed/grain/etc from October thru January regardless of where it is and a complete legalization year round of mineral as it has no affect on deer during that time period.

sounds like there is a business opportunity to sell mineral testing soil samplers! hahaha

This ^^ makes more sense to me. Simpler, more effective...but that probably means it can't happen. :D

Would have never done that but sounds good with this new proposed law. Get over the mineral bs people. It was one buck that had nothing to do with anything more than a jealous neighbor. He should have bought that 80 if he knew that buck was on there as well as on his it was for sale.

Read it again. This time pay attention to the difference between a "baited area" and a "permanently baited area".

I'll do it for you, no bait can be placed on any area in the state between two dates. Doesn't matter how far from a stand, you simply can't do it. The distance is to a permanently baited area i.e. a mineral lick. You have to be 200 yards away from that "permanently baited area" until all the dirt is removed. You can't fence or cover a permanently baited area i.e. mineral lick and consider it a non baited area.

Two things to remember, first, this still has to make it through the Senate and second I don't think the "Buck On A Bag" guys have stared throwing money around yet. I will not be surprised to see a LSA fiscal impact report on this one.

Not that I want to get involved in another 30K view thread, but my views on mineral sites have been well documented on this site. I am in favor of this bill.

And everyone will still use mineral on cameras for inventory no matter what the law says. Laws haven't stopped trespassing and poaching either go figure.

You are correct, laws can not control ethics, morals or common sense.

If a person must know what "hit listers" lurk in the woods I'd rather see them use skill and imagination to set up their inventory cameras than a mineral pile. I'd consider it a great skill one worthy of learning and honing to perfection.

Anybody can get a photo of a buck in front of or on their way to a pile of mineral or bait. A skilled hunter will know where to set his cameras to get good photos with out the artificial help of attractants.

A skilled hunter can also do this without the aid of foodplots. They need to ban it all or let it all in. Let those who want the easy road take it. There simply is no difference, 1/2 acre plot or a pile of corn.

A skilled hunter can also do this without the aid of foodplots. They need to ban it all or let it all in. Let those who want the easy road take it. There simply is no difference, 1/2 acre plot or a pile of corn.

This is an idiotic statement about banning food plots I assume you don't own your own ground that you hunt on.

There isn't enough Tylenol in the world to cure the headache I feel coming on...... I suppose I started it though. But from here on I'll keep my thoughts to myself on this thread.

This is an idiotic statement about banning food plots I assume you don't own your own ground that you hunt on.

Don't assume, and I am not saying ban them. I have planted them myself. But they bring the same result. I quit foodplots because I didn't like baiting them in. I like to hunt them. I am saying those that want to will do it, those who don't won't. I am not going to argue, its my opinion. If you don't like reading it look away.

Ban it all. Done.

This law is stupid as written. Legalizing it all would eliminate the gray area, just as much as a ban.

You are correct, laws can not control ethics, morals or common sense. If a person must know what "hit listers" lurk in the woods I'd rather see them use skill and imagination to set up their inventory cameras than a mineral pile. I'd consider it a great skill one worthy of learning and honing to perfection.

Anybody can get a photo of a buck in front of or on their way to a pile of mineral or bait. A skilled hunter will know where to set his cameras to get good photos with out the artificial help of attractants.

Huh? So, now, ethics, morals and common sense are in question? Skills?

Last edited:
Just my rhetoric about comments about better or lessor hunters. Having met you, even though we differ in opinions for this bill, I do respect yours. Heck, if it were written for the reasons you favor it, I might even support it, but it is not written for that. It needs way more time and input before going further. Just my opinion.

Just my rhetoric about comments about better or lessor hunters. Having met you, even though we differ in opinions for this bill, I do respect yours. Heck, if it were written for the reasons you favor it, I might even support it, but it is not written for that. It needs way more time and input before going further. Just my opinion.

First, thanks for using the "R" word.

Second, my reply was two fold, to reinforce that laws only keep honest people honest.

Third, unfortunately I think this bill is about as close as I can come to realizing my desire for the eradication of persistent mineral licks. I would be fine with language that allowed the sites to be permanently covered or fenced but that would create a huge loop hole.

My comment about trail cam placement was to try and drive home the fact that one doesn't need mineral to get photos of deer. When I go to the trail cam threads I love the photos of deer that seem to be taken on a random trail. That, to me, denotes the hunter has thought about deer movement in relation to stand placement not just an "inventory" to make a "hit list". In truth, who knows, there could be a mineral site just out of the field of view.

I hope this answers your question and clarifies my post. If not let me know and I'll take another run at it.

Ha, there is a difference. It's called a combine. The ppl that hunt over food plots don't understand that a 5 gallon bucket of corn is the same kind of corn that they sit in front of in January waiting for the deer to come eat minus the stalk. They will say but we put in all the hard work to till the ground, plant it, spray it, .......... What if a guy plants the corn in the back yard? Tills the ground, plants it, sprays it, then hand picks it, shucks it, puts it in a bucket and dumps it in front of the deer stand. Wouldn't that fella be doing more work than the guy with the food plot? But that would be considered "baiting". I don't have anything against food plots. I just don't understand why the ppl with food plots are so against baiting? It gets brought up on here every year. The food plotters bash everything about baiting and pound their chest because their corn has stalks on it.

Top Bottom