Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

History of this site

I joined in 2002 and it was then owned by OneCam/Chris Lane. He contacted me and asked if he could use the silhouette of my 200" deer for a new logo since he was using a stock clip art image at the time. LimbChicken designed several variations and we picked out the one still used today to be the official logo.

I was an original member in 2001 under a different username I could never recover- I thought it was slightly earlier than that. Was like cavemen technology back then .

I went to the "Iowa Whitetail Conference" and clicked on the last page of threads. The earliest dates I could find where from 2000. I read a post where some form of the site was started in 1998. It is very interesting to go back and read some of the threads and thoughts of that time. Many threads have no replies and the good ones only have 4 or 5 replies. I read one thread about non res pref points. It seems they came out in 2000... ? Threads about outfitters starting to ruin things for residents. Lot's of people still talking about hunting with permission. I didn't see any threads about cameras. Some cool old stuff to read.

Joined in December 2002, yep, OneCam and LimbChicken started it all. Just not sure of the exact timeline. Lots of members over the years, some still here, some not.

I joined in March of 2003, lurked for a while before registering.

I thought I heard the site was brain stormed over beers at either an IBA banquet or the Whitetail Classic. Along with Onecam and Limbchicken, Ghost, Muddy and Bonker might have been on the discussion. Onecam owned it, Limb was the webmaster. But hey, that was a long time ago and I might not have heard the real story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 1999 is the first record in the wayback machine

Jan 1999 is the first record in the wayback machine

First paragraph from the wayback machine:

"This site is dedicated to an animal that is often times seen only by the sign it leaves. The acute senses and secretive habits make the whitetail hard to observe. Their beauty, grace, and intelligence make them one of the most prized trophies in North America."

I wish it was still the same, but the first 2 sentences are barely true anymore. The 3rd sentence still is though.....

I may be all wet here, but I seem to remember OneCam being the second owner. I seem to recall another gentleman started it and then it went to OneCam a couple/few years later. But maybe I am getting old here. :)

I remember when I came here….. wouldn’t let me register for couple years. So I read without registering. Onecam finally fixed it. I’m guessing maybe 2005-ish?!?!?
Was more trouble makers then but always solid info. Always top tier. I was big into dbltree & then realized we were neighbors & became great friends.
Then after he died - that was one of big reasons to get the site- so that could continue. & keep things awesome.
Been pretty good. Few bumps. I’m not a tech person. At all. I’m habitat guy, hunter, farmer, LO, etc.
NOW….. over the last 6 months we got new awesome talent that’s close to having new site done. This site done right. Obvious upgrades people would clearly want. Top tier.

I may be all wet here, but I seem to remember OneCam being the second owner. I seem to recall another gentleman started it and then it went to OneCam a couple/few years later. But maybe I am getting old here. :)
I didn’t join till 2014 but before I joined I visited this site often with dialup internet and talk about sloooow response.
I think you are correct on the ownership before OneCam. He was on here a few years back and said he started it or bought the domain name???

This site at times can be inactive but definitely my go to site! Great group of members

I didn’t join till 2014 but before I joined I visited this site often with dialup internet and talk about sloooow response.
I think you are correct on the ownership before OneCam. He was on here a few years back and said he started it or bought the domain name???

This site at times can be inactive but definitely my go to site! Great group of members
I think the founder's name may have been Tony Hough.

As far as I can tell, some form of the site started in late 1998. Seems there was something 98 and 99. Also seems like some improved site was made in 2000. 2000 is the furthest back I can find a post. And yes, it seems a guy named Tony started it.

You guys should go on the "Iowa whitetail conference" forum and click the last page, 2000 or so threads ago. Too bad most pics aren't there anymore. Pretty cool to go back and see some thoughts 23 years ago.

I didn't even know about the internet in 2000.

Last edited:
Top Bottom