Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Honest concern with Youth Hunter bucks shot…

Here is my take. Just be glad that your kid or a kid is interested in going hunting. Who cares what they kill, be it a doe or buck. Who cares if the buck is 20” or 240”. My take is most complaining about a kid killing a high scoring buck wouldn’t care or would actually praise the same kid about killing a same age class 130” cull buck. Who cares about floating youth tags when kids are being pulled different directions with sports and different activities. Not to mention the parents taking them being pulled in different directions with work, family, and other responsibilities. If you think these youth are hunting on these tags every weekend from youth season through late muzzle loader you need a reality check. Youth tags (floating or not) will never hurt the resource. They might kill your target buck but they won’t hurt the resource as a whole. I would rather a kid kill my target buck then myself anyway. I have long passed the need to fill my buck tag. If a kid gets a big buck and that gets them hooked…great, if they get a doe and that gets them hooked…great. Just be glad they want to go. Remember they are just deer. Let the kid shoot what they want and if a big buck comes out let them shoot it. As was previously mentioned, you don’t know how many seasons you have left or they have left. So quit worrying about what some kid is tagging and go have fun and enjoy the sport.

Here is my take. Just be glad that your kid or a kid is interested in going hunting. Who cares what they kill, be it a doe or buck. Who cares if the buck is 20” or 240”. My take is most complaining about a kid killing a high scoring buck wouldn’t care or would actually praise the same kid about killing a same age class 130” cull buck. Who cares about floating youth tags when kids are being pulled different directions with sports and different activities. Not to mention the parents taking them being pulled in different directions with work, family, and other responsibilities. If you think these youth are hunting on these tags every weekend from youth season through late muzzle loader you need a reality check. Youth tags (floating or not) will never hurt the resource. They might kill your target buck but they won’t hurt the resource as a whole. I would rather a kid kill my target buck then myself anyway. I have long passed the need to fill my buck tag. If a kid gets a big buck and that gets them hooked…great, if they get a doe and that gets them hooked…great. Just be glad they want to go. Remember they are just deer. Let the kid shoot what they want and if a big buck comes out let them shoot it. As was previously mentioned, you don’t know how many seasons you have left or they have left. So quit worrying about what some kid is tagging and go have fun and enjoy the sport.
This! I loved the floating tag aspect of youth tags. My son is from my first marriage and he loves hunting! Unfortunately, he is only here every other weekend, so if the year fell right, he’d only have one weekend for the official youth season. Thankfully his mom and I get along very well and we would usually change some weekends so he could hunt as much as possible.

He’s no aged out of youth status, but youth hunting stirred a fire in him that burns brightly. And he is a very passionate hunter. From day 1 of hunting, he’s been very involved at the farm, helping with plots and hanging stands. For as many failures I think I have as a parent, one thing I know I’ve instilled in him is a strong work ethic and how to be an outdoorsman.

Bottom line is we have a deer season going on right now, and hopefully parents will take their son or daughter out to hunt with them!! Just because it doesn’t say “youth season” they can hunt anytime from now until December!

Then they can hunt in that season as well ! The bottom line is get them out hunting as much as you can ! Just like we did in the old days!

This is a Minnesota Outdoor News letter to editor…. Great points !19A88969-5FC1-4F0B-9A13-1C786D10313C.jpeg

I’m not good with links so I took pics with my phone!

Last edited:
Top Bottom