Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How Much Time Spent?

I've enjoyed every minute of every hour and I have been in the stand MANY!

Mature bucks? All depends on one's opinion. Passed on one I maybe shouldn't have, twice.

Last edited:
As this will probably be the last post,,and I started it,,I just want to agree with the last reply. No matter how many hrs I enjoyed them all. As to what is mature. I would say 3 yrs on up. Yearlings and two yr olds are just kids,,,really.

I have no idea how many hours I've spent in the stand this year but I do know its a lot. Been hunting since october 1 and been out at least twice a week two sits a day since then. Had 9 days vacation with 4 of them dark to dark sits. the others I was in the stand for all but 2 hours for lunch. I saw quite a few mature bucks, 4 years or older, most within a 3 day time frame. It seemed as though the constant SE winds wouldn't allow me to get setup correctly to intercept one. I guess thats how it goes sometimes though. I have definitely enjoyed every day of hunting but can't say I wasn't frustrated a time or two. I did end up in the right place in the right time once and got a shot on the biggest deer of my 8 years of bow hunting. However, as I've already posted. I didn't check my equipment prior to hunting that day and when I shot my arrow veered way right and buried into the femur. Found out later a strand was broke on my string. Don't how it happened but it was enough to throw my shot off. After 4 days of searching and covering 700 acres I gave up.

I'll go out this weekend and try and shoot a couple doe with the muzzy and then 2 weeks later it will be time to grab the bow again and get back at it.:)

I have about 180 hours so far, I wouldn't say deer numbers were down in my area at all but rather the thousands of acres of standing corn had a huge affect on deer movement and mature bucks sightings.

My trail cams so pretty high doe populations on both farms, plenty of bucks of all ages but very high nocturnal.

Top Bottom