Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HR 43 and 44

Now I'm waiting for the bill adding crossbows to the full archery season for anyone. My dream of shooting a Iowa velvet buck may soon become a reality.

The kids will probably get their crossbows. I really don't agree with that early of a bow season, and then if you don't fill your tag you get to hunt the rest of the regular bow seasons? We have plenty of time to kill deer we don't need more time. To dang hot then anyway. Just my 2 cents

So if I read correctly, there would be a quota on early bow licenses. If a deer is not harvested, then you'd be able to use the tag during regular bow?

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm right, that is a very poorly written proposal and not thought out. There would be a race to get the early bow knowing if you don't tag out, you'd still have regular bow. Not like early/late muzzy where it's one or the other.

Wow, where did this early bow season idea come from? Didn't see that coming.

It would be great to be able to hunt the velvet bucks you have patterned, late summer, but thats putting alot more pressure on.

So if I read correctly, there would be a quota on early bow licenses. If a deer is not harvested, then you'd be able to use the tag during regular bow?

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm right, that is a very poorly written proposal and not thought out. There would be a race to get the early bow knowing if you don't tag out, you'd still have regular bow. Not like early/late muzzy where it's one or the other.

This is how I read it as well. Although, I believe this would only apply to those wanting to shoot (legally) one deer with bow as it states that anyone granted the early bow season license would not be eligible for the regular bow season license. Therefore, if they buy the early, they can't buy more regular bow season tags to fill. Considering many are out to fill one tag only, with a buck, I think you are correct in that it would create a frenzy to get that early season tag.

On the other one, it looks like youth would be able to hunt all seasons, youth, regular bow (both splits, coinciding with early muzzy and late muzzy), and shotgun seasons, until they fill their tag.

The kids will probably get their crossbows. I really don't agree with that early of a bow season, and then if you don't fill your tag you get to hunt the rest of the regular bow seasons? We have plenty of time to kill deer we don't need more time. To dang hot then anyway. Just my 2 cents

Pretty much my thoughts. I know many won't like the propagation of cross bows, but I can live with kids using them. This at least does seem to be a good way to get kids more opportunity. I could also live without it. (Honestly if it happens it will cut dramatically into my hunting because my daughter will want to go every time I do in the archery season.:confused::confused:) The early season however does not make any good sense to me at all. We archery hunters have 3 months already. I honestly don't think we need a fourth.

I'm not a fan of the early bow season, especially if eventually this will allows cross bows for archery hunting. I have a feeling that this has something to do eventually with cross bows. I'm not sure why their is such a big push for cross bows. I mean yeah I think there neat, but if your gonna use a cross bow you might as well use a gun...

I don't understand the need for an early bow season, especially since you can't buy a regular bow tag if you buy the early season tag. That being said, does anyone think that this will make a negative impact on the health of the deer herd? I don't see how it will, as the guys buying these tags would be guys that would have bought a regular bow tag. If anything, it will allow you guys who live on or close to your land to go out and get after a deer when you have them patterned before they all nocturnal and break up their bachelor groups.

I think this will be around about as long as the January High Power. We don't need 1/3 of our year to harvest deer. Oct-Jan is plenty long. Sadly, I feel that this all revolves around $$$, government sees another way to cash in on hunters harvesting deer.

I think this will be around about as long as the January High Power. We don't need 1/3 of our year to harvest deer. Oct-Jan is plenty long. Sadly, I feel that this all revolves around $$$, government sees another way to cash in on hunters harvesting deer.

Bingo! Only I don't think it is only government that is trying to cash in. As far as I am concerned, the major push behind spreading crossbows is coming from the manufacturers of crossbows.

Also, if you cannot manage to get a deer, or two or ten, between October 1st and January 10th, then the answer is not a longer season IMO. (And that isn't counting youth seasons, depredation hunts and special late seasons, that extend that time frame already.)

I am a big advocate for youth tags. Both R and NR and would love to see more opportunity. That being said--the tags should be used during the regular hunting seasons that are already established.

A study was done in MN on early youth season duck hunting. The study found that once established the extra pressure from the youth hunt resulted in poor hunting for adults and youth on the regular duck opener. Therefore the number of duck hunters actually declined. So the season defeated it's purpose.

They do make bows for kids. Why does a kid need a crossbow?

Not sure how much the average age is for kids hunting the youth season or what poundage they can comfortably pull back (maybe when my children are older I will find out), but wondering if that is the reason for the use of crossbows. Adult can draw it for them, or they can use a draw aid, and then just set up to shoot and be shooting a much higher draw weight without the worries of what could result with lower poundage.

Also, maybe they want to instill the use of crossbows early to have more support of being able to use them once they are not considered youth anymore.

Last edited:
Crossbow for youth is just the next step in the push to make crossbows legal for everyone. I have kids, they hunt and I love hunting with them. They won't be hunting with a crossbow. They want to come out for archery season they have to earn it. I'll leave it at that.

The early archery season IMO is bunk, not needed and will hurt. As others have noted IF it was going to happen it is total BS that the unfilled tag can be carried over to the general season. Should be like Early Muzzy. Get your tag and take your chances. With this you get a crack at two of the highest chance periods to get on a mature buck. The rut and Sept. when they are still in groups, summer feeding patterns and hitting minerals. It will hurt the mature buck population.

I would really like to know where this idea came from.

I think we need a call for action alarm from the IBA. The IBA has successfully helped quieted other forms of legislation.

If this goes through I hope the Natural Resource commission allocates about 1 tag for this. I am really not happy about the early season.

Top Bottom