Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting in 20mph winds?

Ried#3

Can hunt all day either Wednesday or Thursday. Wednesday is supposed to have winds up to 20 and Thursday winds at about 5mph. My dilemma is Wednesday wind direction let’s me hunt a bit more desirable stand. Are 20 mph winds going to kill movement enough to wait until Thursday?

I would prefer the 20 mph wind over the 5 mph wind honestly. Deer are going to move at this time of the year, almost regardless of the wind and the higher winds will cover you better AND are less likely to die off to nothing, which is bad IMO, in the last 60 minutes of hunting light. DO IT! :)

Reactions: arm
I'm with Daver. One of the best hunts I've ever had came a couple years ago on a high wind day. Saw a ton of bucks moving throughout the day. I'd rather deal with a little too much wind than no wind at all. Although the no wind is more comfortable for sitting, it sucks because you can't move at all for fear of being picked off.

20 is max I see stuff. Over that they sit down.
I personally would do 5mph but that’s me. But- if killer spot- that’s my only favor in 20mph choice.

High winds can actually help IMO if farm is in an area with some significant elevation changes . It WILL concentrate the deer to the low spots. This does not apply too all farms. My home farm... Bring on the wind... Steep hills, bottoms,etc. Some of my other farms....waste of time. Forget about it.

Not a fan of low winds, especially in afternoon with downward thermals. Can get away with it more in morning when things are warming up. 5 is better than 1-3 though.

"Ideal" 7-12 mph steady.

Last edited:
Went to hunt a stand a few years ago the day after some high winds. As I got closer things didn't look quite right. A 15" diameter hickory tree had snapped off and crushed my stand. Made me think a little bit.

Deer really hit feeding sources on the down wind side of cover in the afternoons. Sometimes seems like they come out earlier if its really windy.

Well it was a good day. Had a shooter come by at 9:00 going 100 miles an hour with no shot. Moved stands for the afternoon and had a good 40 yard shot on a nice one at 4:50 chasing 4 does. I dropped him with the initial shot and then he took off another 20 yards and stood there gushing blood and I watched him fall. Went back an hour later and hes laid up in his bed still alive but didn’t run off. I’ll pick up that sucker in the morning!

Im a little late to the party but 20mph dont bother me a bit. It has to be bumping 30 before im even concerned. Couple of the best hunts Ive had were zero wind days and another over 30 all day. This time of year, if you can get out there, have at it! Good luck!

Glad to hear you had a good day. If he was gushing blood. And he didn’t take off when you went back in, he should be there in the morning. Good luck and can’t wait for the pictures of him.

Well it was a good day. Had a shooter come by at 9:00 going 100 miles an hour with no shot. Moved stands for the afternoon and had a good 40 yard shot on a nice one at 4:50 chasing 4 does. I dropped him with the initial shot and then he took off another 20 yards and stood there gushing blood and I watched him fall. Went back an hour later and hes laid up in his bed still alive but didn’t run off. I’ll pick up that sucker in the morning!
Larry Enticer didnt steer you astray did he . Congrats

Hope you found your buck... before the coyotes did. :confused:
Embarrassed to say i didn’t find him today. Searched from 8-5 non stop. He laid down after I shot him and had 2 large pools of blood in his bed. I tracked him this morning for maybe 600 yards and lost blood. Had a good trail, some big spots and some chunks. Try again tomorrow.

Top Bottom