Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I am interested in trapping next year

IowaChiro

Please help me. I need some info on prices of traps, how many I should have, etc. Also, any forecast of fur prices...looking to use my love of the outdoors to help offset my cost of loving the outdoors:grin:

For the best prices look at dealers such as Minnesota Trapline Products or Fur Harvesters Trading Post websites.

Bow Ben said:
If you are looking to make money trapping you are barking up the wrong tree.

That's the truth. Prices are up but numbers are way down. I would look into dog proof traps we make are own there expensive but a very good trap. Makes land owners happy and don't have to worry were ya set it.

http://kaatzbros.com/

I agree with starting with dp's and don't plan on making ANY money the first year. You'll be lucky to get out of the red the first year after buying traps, gas and just trying to get everything figured out. But it's a lot of fun, good luck!

DP's are alright, but still can not beat a 1 1/2 coil spring in a pocket set in Iowa. It is a coon catcher, mink catcher, muskrat catcher, pretty much all critter catcher.

I ran 2 dozen dog proofs this year, they worked alright, but no where near as many catches as the pocket set with a 1 1/2.

Also, if your trapping where there is no danger of getting pets, look at 220's for trail sets and box sets.

All depends on what your going to be after.

DP's are alright, but still can not beat a 1 1/2 coil spring in a pocket set in Iowa. It is a coon catcher, mink catcher, muskrat catcher, pretty much all critter catcher.

I ran 2 dozen dog proofs this year, they worked alright, but no where near as many catches as the pocket set with a 1 1/2.

Also, if your trapping where there is no danger of getting pets, look at 220's for trail sets and box sets.

All depends on what your going to be after.

I'll get dog proofs, as my brittany's and I hunt along these ditches and slews.

I dont like the dog proofs but thats just me. Im with Brian. 1.5's all day long.

It's a blast, but not a money maker unless you longline it. And if you become or are worth your salt, your 2 mile radius will be burnt out in a week.

Just some food for thought!

I dont like the dog proofs but thats just me. Im with Brian. 1.5's all day long.

It's a blast, but not a money maker unless you longline it. And if you become or are worth your salt, your 2 mile radius will be burnt out in a week.

Just some food for thought!

Give me some idea of #'s. I have about 6 miles worth of creeks, 120 acres of timber for sure, what type of coon numbers could I expect.

Nobody hang me for making such a ballpark guess.

1st 2 nights of setting an area.
Good numbers, ample sign, Decent weather-
50-60% of your sets get hit, (if you know what you are doing this number can be much higher).

Numbers will determine how long that will last but will deteriorate and you will have to move your locations. Obviously cover, etc will determine how much of that 2 miles is "worthwhile."

Number of sets determines how many coon you will catch, but sign will determine how many traps can be set in a certain area. I have one bend of the river that I used to trap that you could stand on the bank and see 5 coons in traps, the first night, than it only produce one of two for the next 2-3 days, and most of those after the first night were younguns.

Also, in my experience, dry coon usually run bigger than river coon.

Figure you will average $10 a coon just for fun.

Last edited:
I started this last fall doing the same thing you are looking into. A friend and I bought about 2 dozen DP traps (cheap cat food/ mackeral for bait) and rotated them between 3 properties. Our main goal was to have fun and get our kids involved. My second goal was to help our turkeys out a bit and take a few predators out. And last, we wanted to get some money back to help offset costs. We usually just set them on the weekends or when our schedule permitted. Skinned them all and sold them after season. Not too hard. We didn't get the prices we thought we might but wasn't too disappointed. Found out that we could have made almost as much just selling them whole without skinning.

My advice would be to start small and keep it simple. If you enjoy it, then put some money back into more traps.

Trapperman.com is a great resource with tons of info. Also iowatrapperstalk.com.

^^^^^^^trapperman.com is a great resource. Just sort through a lot of the bs.

With your access to that much creek ground, I would lean towards 1 1/2 coil springs on drowners, in pockets, as already mentioned. I like to set areas heavy, take out what I can, then move onto the next spot. I think you could do well hitting the water with pockets, then finishing up on some really prime coon that you may have missed with some dps on dryland. Just depends on how much you want to get into this.

I only trap my own 160 acre property 40 acres crp and the rest is timber with a couple of ponds and three nice streams. I use all of the above mentioned traps I like the 160 body trap in boxes and buckets the best, when you get to the trap the coon is already dispatched and you move on to the next trap.
I have owned this property for almost 30 years and last year was the first time I had time to trap. ! caught 28 coon 4 coyote, 4 bobcats (all released) and too many skunks and opposums. This year the coon numbers were down only 18.
As said earlier don't plan on making much money on a small line. after the first year if you're lucky you will have your equipment paid for but every year you'll add more as it becomes addictive. I only trap to remove the varmits and help my quail, pheasant and turkey numbers and I'll admit it gets in your blood. I'll do it every year as long as these old bones hold out.
My best advice would be to do it don't worry about making money and enjoy the extra time outdoors. Good luck to you.

I “made” $130.00 with 9 220s on 10 acres. 12 coons unskinned. Would have doubled my money if the fur buyer would have taken feral cats. I like 220s ‘cause the critter is dead when I get there, well there was that one grinner this year. And last year. Nuthin like picking up the 220 and realizing the fecking hisser is still, well, hissing.

Top Bottom