Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I HATE COYOTES!!!!!!!!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Was a healthy shed buck. Dead. From my buddy. See pics & read below for some data.
94D4EA48-D142-4F83-B98D-1C228ED692E0.jpeg
CBF039E8-8BB4-4BF8-8570-4A4462FFC844.jpeg
58C90A1D-AE5E-4841-89A8-1C144703D834.jpeg
FE0D7ED6-61EA-4019-92D2-ABA9F2ACF287.jpeg

Folks give all sorts of reasons for not shooting them. I don’t buy it. Here’s real data I can back up…. I’ve done some research this week ;).
1) regionally in areas across country - coyotes have been documented to kill up to 75% of the fawns. Of the fawns killed, it’s been documented that coyotes kill about 75% of the fawns that are killed…. Followed by bobcats, wild dogs & cars.
2) resident coyotes are the majority of coyotes YOU have on your farm. They have a 4-5 mile core area for example. Transients have a 20-ish mile area. Residents are vast vast majority of what’s on your farm. Thus- if you kill them off- u will need to go into “maintenance mode”. They can repopulate if you don’t stay on them but they absolutely can be controlled on a somewhat local level.
3) coyote populations in Midwest are “unknown” as too hard to document but any data sources you look up estimate the absolute bottom is that the populations have at least TRIPLED in last decade-ish. (One source says tripled since 80’s but others are shorter timeframe). State with most documented coyotes & most “problems” (subjective) is KANSAS.

IMO- need more guys trapping & hunting them. Period. I don’t buy the other arguments or “let them do nature’s job”. …. Too many of them & 50% of the fawns they kill are Male/button bucks. It’s selfish but I’d rather people do more of the deer management vs the epidemic levels of coyotes. A “reasonable” amount of coyotes- ok, we can get along. How many that are here today- nope- they need a war taken to them IMO.

I am far from a coyote expert, but I can say that in the 20 years of owning my farm, we have never really had a big problem with them. Are there some around? Oh yeah, but never close to the numbers that I understand many other places have them.

Love 'em or hate 'em...I am pretty sure this is due to fairly constant "attention" paid to them by local coyote hound hunters. They certainly do get a good number of them every year around us and yes, there have been deer guy v. coyote guy skirmishes, but nothing crazy that I know about.

Meanwhile...our area has the right type of cover, etc, to support many more of them IMO...but somehow, we just never see the population up and out of control. Something to think about relative to coyote hound groups IMO...

I am far from a coyote expert, but I can say that in the 20 years of owning my farm, we have never really had a big problem with them. Are there some around? Oh yeah, but never close to the numbers that I understand many other places have them.

Love 'em or hate 'em...I am pretty sure this is due to fairly constant "attention" paid to them by local coyote hound hunters. They certainly do get a good number of them every year around us and yes, there have been deer guy v. coyote guy skirmishes, but nothing crazy that I know about.

Meanwhile...our area has the right type of cover, etc, to support many more of them IMO...but somehow, we just never see the population up and out of control. Something to think about relative to coyote hound groups IMO...
Agree. Effective coyote groups do help. I think every area has those “run in’s”. As long as they don’t do it during deer season & IF it’s an occasional thing- not a big deal IMO. If they ran em in my ground every day- no way. However they are killed- when u get in those areas that pound the heck out of them- I am 10000% sure it helps. We’ve been killing em hard for 1.5 years now & absolutely making massive difference. We’ll stay on them too. The key is getting more folks around us to do the same. Which is Happening.

I got a lot of coyote pics this fall. Pretty much daily and all times of the day, not just night. So I figured there are quite a few around.

Im not exactly thrilled the past two mondays and nearly the same exact time someones running what I would assume are coyote dogs through my property, but if they kill some coyotes Im sort of okay with it. Im really not upset by it, just wish they would ask. Luckily no pics of a person or any dog pics during deer seasons.

1674683039968.png
1674683094385.png

I got a lot of coyote pics this fall. Pretty much daily and all times of the day, not just night. So I figured there are quite a few around.

Im not exactly thrilled the past two mondays and nearly the same exact time someones running what I would assume are coyote dogs through my property, but if they kill some coyotes Im sort of okay with it. Im really not upset by it, just wish they would ask. Luckily no pics of a person or any dog pics during deer seasons.

View attachment 124350View attachment 124351
I suspect your theory is correct. :) Especially when there is a new tracking snow apparent. Not laughing at you, I have had these "same" dogs on my cams before too, but there are pros and cons.

I'd be curious to see if you feel like the coyote population is reduced in the future.

I suspect your theory is correct. :) Especially when there is a new tracking snow apparent. Not laughing at you, I have had these "same" dogs on my cams before too, but there are pros and cons.

I'd be curious to see if you feel like the coyote population is reduced in the future.
I actually have noticed a big drop in coyote pics the past month. Went from getting near daily pics in oct&nov to maybe just one or two pics a week.

I wanna say this to you guys. For the most part, unless a real good food source is abundant, groups (family) will have a certain home range. And will defend it.
Killing coyotes one year is a bandage. If the habitat is good, another group family will move in.
Best to kill em year round.

I feel blessed that the coyotes in my neighborhood got hammered by dog hunters and mange several years ago. We see more fox than coyotes now which is a good sign.

I have to wonder if all the habitat work Skip and alot of others on here do doesn’t benefit the coyotes as much as the deer. Maybe a double edged sword so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel blessed that the coyotes in my neighborhood got hammered by dog hunters and mange several years ago. We see more fox than coyotes now which is a good sign.

I have to wonder if all the habitat work Skip and alot of others on here do doesn’t benefit the coyotes as much as the deer. Maybe a double edged sword so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wanna say this to you guys. For the most part, unless a real good food source is abundant, groups (family) will have a certain home range. And will defend it.
Killing coyotes one year is a bandage. If the habitat is good, another group family will move in.
Best to kill em year round.

We do kill them year round. Thermals.
So- a while back we killed hundreds in year 1. This was in a 10 mile radius. Once we got rid of the residents…. It was way less!!! The transient coyotes showed up here & there & we stayed on em. Never quit. Was this a massive amount of work?? Not maintaining it wasn’t. Not that hard or time consuming &
Dudes like to do it!!! As of today- coyotes thinned WAAAYYYY down!!!! We won’t let up.

So the habitat…. I’d say yes it attracts coyotes…. All my habitat work does promote mice, rabbits, birds, small game, etc… that attract coyotes. No doubt. & I kill off all the coons so tons of prey animals & small game of all types ( Admittedly- yes, this is crazy & not completely natural or practical - I get it). I have dense CRP and dense timber. Like a TON of premium fawn cover. Here’s the reality I witnessed first hand though…. Even with countless great fawn cover- when coyote #’s get to epidemic rates (which we had- insanity!!!!) …. 100% I noticed does without fawns non stop. & found countless dead fawns (legs, etc). Cover does NOT make up for it when u are over run with coyotes. Most Folks have no clue how bad they have got in certain regions. If your area is full of trappers, thermal hunters/callers & dudes chasing after season killing them any which way- be thankful!!! It does work. Areas it’s not happening!!!?!?!? YIKES- it’s insane out of control!!!!

If I can take anything positive from this thread, here it is:
Let trappers/callerers and houndsmen in.

Spread the word!.
GOOD trappers/callers n houndsmen are worth their weight!
I encourage all landowners to not only allow, but also ask to participate. You'll hopefully learn that the misconceptions you (I) had were not what we thought (heard)
We are all hunters. Let's embrace others as long as it legal.

Coyote numbers here seem like their really thinned down. The Thermal guys are really wacking and stacking coyotes. You can hunt all day around here, and cover a lot of ground and only see 1 coyote. I know of several big groups that hunt hard during winter months, and they go 5+ days without see a coyote.

The remaining yotes are very educated and hard to kill, even at night. They will run away from the calling.

Have a family member that coyote hunting is his obsession and passion, Thermal everything, hunts them everyway possible. Been pondering heading out to South Dakota, to some new country.

Coyote numbers here seem like their really thinned down. The Thermal guys are really wacking and stacking coyotes. You can hunt all day around here, and cover a lot of ground and only see 1 coyote. I know of several big groups that hunt hard during winter months, and they go 5+ days without see a coyote.

The remaining yotes are very educated and hard to kill, even at night. They will run away from the calling.

Have a family member that coyote hunting is his obsession and passion, Thermal everything, hunts them everyway possible. Been pondering heading out to South Dakota, to some new country.
KANSAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went there this fall for a few days. Never in my life did I see, hear & finally understand how over-run a state can be. My Pocket in iowa “is/was” bad. Kansas….. OMG…. New level. I saw maybe 15 does in September. ONE, I repeat, ONE had fawns. The amount of howling at night was like nothing I’ve heard before. I went on farms where I know for 1000% certain a doe had not been shot in at least 5-10 years…. Low deer #’s. Very little hunting in area I went to …. Low deer #’s, very few fawns & staggering amount of coyotes. They have a real problem. Asked my buddies if they thermal hunted. Said “ya, we started 2 years ago”. They used to just call without thermals. Said “u can shoot 10-20 a day no problem”. They ran big trap lines with 3 guys. They got like 500+ a season. These are anectodal stories but KS is legit insane with coyotes. The data does support it too though as it’s listed as one of the highest coyote density states in country. Estimates of 150-300k coyotes state wide. Run the math or think about that one!!! If it’s 150k coyotes & each coyote only killed .5 fawns a year…. 75k deer in that example. Incredible. My buddies in kansas complain about NR’s, corn piles, too many does shot, outiffiters, etc. But coyotes might be their #1 issue in reality.

10_20 per day!!!

He'd make a million$ being a youtube star. Lol
Maybe he was exaggerating but I don’t think so. He had some crazy pics. & I think those are full days hunting them hard. They good shots & know how to do it. Crazy how many they call in!!!

Maybe he was exaggerating but I don’t think so. He had some crazy pics. & I think those are full days hunting them hard. They good shots & know how to do it. Crazy how many they call in!!!
I bowhunted Kansas a couple years ago- it was unreal with coyotes. Literally they were howling even all day long- didn’t want to walk to the stand in the dark

Those coyote dogs will range MILES from the drop off point.

We had a few instances where they were dropped off east of Mercer, MO and ended up in Princeton, MO....

If BIG bucks are wise and super spooky to intrusion into their core areas, how do you go about killing coyotes around them without pushing them out and into the next county? How wide of birth do you need to provide these bucks in order to be safe? I'd think coyote hounds would be about the worst thing you could have running through ground that you're trying to keep as a safe haven for big bucks.

Also, what are some suggestions for a decent inexpensive thermal? I could see nighttime coyote hunting becoming my next favorite hobby.

Top Bottom