Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I HATE COYOTES!!!!!!!!

I believe in Iowa, that you can’t use an IR scope until after January 10. Seems silly to me, but I believe that’s the law.

Took the first step. Researched and ordered a mid-range thermal monocular. Next on my list is a night vision scope. Cheapest way to do it, IMO, and the thermal mono allows me more versatility with it, where I don't have to point my rifle at everything I want to look at. It should come in handy for tracking / finding quarry, and trying to avoid animals on my way into my early morning sets.

Took the first step. Researched and ordered a mid-range thermal monocular. Next on my list is a night vision scope. Cheapest way to do it, IMO, and the thermal mono allows me more versatility with it, where I don't have to point my rifle at everything I want to look at. It should come in handy for tracking / finding quarry, and trying to avoid animals on my way into my early morning sets.

Which thermal monocular did you go with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which thermal monocular did you go with?

Thermal Monocular: https://www.amazon.com/ATN-OTS-XLT-Compact-Lightweight-Thermal/dp/B09HGY2VLL?th=1
I found a better deal outside of Amazon, and went with the 2.5-10x magnification version.

Clip-On Night Vision Scope: https://oneleaf.ai/commander-nv100-night-vision-add-on-12mm.html
Free shipping, but it will take a few weeks to get here. Use "ONELEAF10" coupon code upon checkout for a $30 discount. They have a 16mm version too, but I don't need that much magnification, since it will be attached to my existing scope. The 16mm version is available on Amazon too.

I'm about as frugal as a person can get, and it's difficult to splurge on myself, so I usually put in my research and try to get the absolute most bang for my buck when I do. I don't have any firsthand experience with either of these units yet, but from the reviews I read and watched, I believe I did alright getting into the night hunting game with semi-quality gear, at about the lowest price point possible. Time will tell.

I love the versatility of both units, as they can be used independently and are small enough to wear on a lanyard, pocket or carry in a pack.

I know, buy once, cry once... And, you get what you pay for... But, I was able to go this route for less than $800, where I could have easily dropped anywhere from $3k to $7k on top quality units. The only way I'd consider that is if coyote tasted like pumpkin pie...

Thermal Monocular: https://www.amazon.com/ATN-OTS-XLT-Compact-Lightweight-Thermal/dp/B09HGY2VLL?th=1
I found a better deal outside of Amazon, and went with the 2.5-10x magnification version.

Clip-On Night Vision Scope: https://oneleaf.ai/commander-nv100-night-vision-add-on-12mm.html
Free shipping, but it will take a few weeks to get here. Use "ONELEAF10" coupon code upon checkout for a $30 discount. They have a 16mm version too, but I don't need that much magnification, since it will be attached to my existing scope. The 16mm version is available on Amazon too.

I'm about as frugal as a person can get, and it's difficult to splurge on myself, so I usually put in my research and try to get the absolute most bang for my buck when I do. I don't have any firsthand experience with either of these units yet, but from the reviews I read and watched, I believe I did alright getting into the night hunting game with semi-quality gear, at about the lowest price point possible. Time will tell.

I love the versatility of both units, as they can be used independently and are small enough to wear on a lanyard, pocket or carry in a pack.

I know, buy once, cry once... And, you get what you pay for... But, I was able to go this route for less than $800, where I could have easily dropped anywhere from $3k to $7k on top quality units. The only way I'd consider that is if coyote tasted like pumpkin pie...

Excellent. Keep us posted on how you like them.

Anyone else on here made the thermal / night vision investment? What did you get and how do you link it?

There’s a coyote contest around here this weekend. I wonder if my kids are going to be made fun of at school for wearing: coyote coats, coyote hats, pants, gloves, shirts, underwear, etc!?!?!
I have my anniversary presents for my wife lined up too!!!
D65D7C54-7520-4590-84FB-2004CC3F9ADD.jpeg

Excellent. Keep us posted on how you like them.

Anyone else on here made the thermal / night vision investment? What did you get and how do you link it?

I got a monocular from Boyd on here with Buck hollow…. It’s a pulsar….. this is pry more than most wanna spend & this is a big Investment to kill coyotes. Some buddies have some lower priced ones & do just fine. I’m far from expert. But, on this one purchase for how big of problem we are addressing & Time into it, on THIS I said “I want one I know I’ll like & last long time that I won’t regret”. If we were out for casual 2-3 coyote hunts a year- no way Boyd sold me this good bit cheaper than pulsars website.

The coyote rut has started. Been wacking a few. Thermal Hunters really have been decimating the numbers up here.

Edit to Add, Sligh your really going to like those thermal Monoculars, Been running Pulsar Thermion Rifle scopes, and those identical Monoculars. Pulsar makes great Thermals.

Attachments

• 20230119_160031.jpg
    20230119_160031.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230204_091402.jpg
    20230204_091402.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
The coyote rut has started. Been wacking a few. Thermal Hunters really have been decimating the numbers up here.

Edit to Add, Sligh your really going to like those thermal Monoculars, Been running Pulsar Thermion Rifle scopes, and those identical Monoculars. Pulsar makes great Thermals.
Cool. Keep on whackn em.
Got 5 today total.
Tomorrow, no wind and 30*. Should be a great day.

KANSAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went there this fall for a few days. Never in my life did I see, hear & finally understand how over-run a state can be. My Pocket in iowa “is/was” bad. Kansas….. OMG…. New level. I saw maybe 15 does in September. ONE, I repeat, ONE had fawns. The amount of howling at night was like nothing I’ve heard before. I went on farms where I know for 1000% certain a doe had not been shot in at least 5-10 years…. Low deer #’s. Very little hunting in area I went to …. Low deer #’s, very few fawns & staggering amount of coyotes. They have a real problem. Asked my buddies if they thermal hunted. Said “ya, we started 2 years ago”. They used to just call without thermals. Said “u can shoot 10-20 a day no problem”. They ran big trap lines with 3 guys. They got like 500+ a season. These are anectodal stories but KS is legit insane with coyotes. The data does support it too though as it’s listed as one of the highest coyote density states in country. Estimates of 150-300k coyotes state wide. Run the math or think about that one!!! If it’s 150k coyotes & each coyote only killed .5 fawns a year…. 75k deer in that example. Incredible. My buddies in kansas complain about NR’s, corn piles, too many does shot, outiffiters, etc. But coyotes might be their #1 issue in reality.
What part of Kansas were you hunting, my son and I are thinking about a road trip to Kansas to coyote hunt in the next week or so

What part of Kansas were you hunting, my son and I are thinking about a road trip to Kansas to coyote hunt in the next week or so
It was by Manhattan. South maybe 30 mins. It was crazy!!!!! There’s zero doubt in my mind it’s a huge impact on the deer. If I owned a farm there- coyotes would be issue #1 for deer related management.

In general, is it easier to obtain permission to hunt coyotes or deer on private property today? I've never cold called or door knocked for coyote hunting before.

Top Bottom