Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ID help?

bjkpharmd

I should know but don't- anyone?
2006_11050005.jpg

I've always called it coral berry. Not a prefered deer food. It often abundant where deer are overpopulated.

[ QUOTE ]
It's often abundant where deer are overpopulated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you better get busy down there pharmer
rambo.gif
grin.gif

I did a google on coral berry and had several different species as suspects, some didn't look like it at all. I'm wondering what to do as right now it isn't a big problem and the quail are always in or around it.

Paul- I have lost count of the number of does shot over the last three years. I think between us there has been 60-70 does taken off my 104 acres and the neighbors 80. They just keep coming. I've got about 1000 acres around us leased and another 400 just above us that is strictly posted.

[ QUOTE ]
Buck brush ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I guess you can tell that windwalker and I are from SW Iowa.
grin.gif

Down here most everyone calls that Buck Brush. And I must say it is everywhere.

[ QUOTE ]
Paul- I have lost count of the number of does shot over the last three years. I think between us there has been 60-70 does taken off my 104 acres and the neighbors 80. They just keep coming. I've got about 1000 acres around us leased and another 400 just above us that is strictly posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know...just giving you a hard time
evil.gif

I have the exact same problem only in two counties
crazy.gif

I think we'd both be hard pressed to say we know someone who doesn't have a problem...but we'll save that for another discussion
smirk.gif

I'm curious what Farmland QDM has to say about "buck brush"
grin.gif
since they are burning...does it encourage it or let other more benificial forage come in?

I suppose he's goofin off...deer huntin' or something...
grin.gif
grin.gif

I was hunting in zone5 north of Bloomfield last year and the deer were eating it like crazy. The fellow we were hunting on called it coral berry just as Larry did. The place did have plenty of deer but not sure it was over populated by IA standards. Had nothing to compair it to it's the only part of IA I have hunted so far....Joe

www.marylandwhitetail.com

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious what Farmland QDM has to say about "buck brush"
grin.gif
since they are burning...does it encourage it or let other more benificial forage come in?

I suppose he's goofin off...deer huntin' or something...
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a very busy time of the year for me ... been playing and working ...

As for fire and buckbrush (coral berry), timing of your burn greatly affects it's response to fire. Burn it once it completely leafs out (May-June in SE Iowa) and you will really hurt it and depending on your fuel load, and your competition seed bank, it may not come back. An early burn (Feb.-March) generally just burns it off and then it sprouts back from the roots. Either way you give nutritious forbs a better chance to establish.

I also have seen deer eating buckbrush and consider it a good food source ... so I would not want to get rid of all of it. I think the key is to diversify your timber. Periodically burn some areas at varying times of the year, that way there is always a great variety of food sources for your deer to choose from. I like a buffet with lots of choices ... I'm sure deer do too.

[ QUOTE ]

been playing and working ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope it's more play then work Rob
waytogo.gif

I'm going to have to check to see if I even have any coral berry
confused.gif

I have more brush then mature timber so it may not be as prevelant on my ground.

It certainly makes sense to provide varied natural forage...something I need to learn more about.

I do know this....when the deer come into the woods from my foodplots in the morning...the first thing they do is start filing up on browse. In my case it's mostly blackberry leaves.

There's a whole lot more to managing one's land for whitetails then just foodplots...
smirk.gif

Dbltree- First foxtail, now coral berry- I'd rather be lucky than good.
smile.gif

I have never seen the deer in this, only a few small patches right now but quail always seem to be near these plants.

[ QUOTE ]
Dbltree- First foxtail, now coral berry- I'd rather be lucky than good.
smile.gif

I have never seen the deer in this, only a few small patches right now but quail always seem to be near these plants.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little slow sometimes but I was sitting in my stand the other day and thought "gee...where have I seen that stuff before?"
smirk.gif

Looking around I see it's everywhere although most of the leaves have dropped (or been eaten?)

Coralberry.jpg

Amazing what is all around us sometimes...but remains "unseen"
blush.gif

Top Bottom