Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

If you could change-

newfarmer

If you could really put the efforts in to change 3-5 things in Iowa deer hunting- what would it be. Hoping this moves some good discussion.

1- get rid of depredation tags, and educate people on coon damage.
2- cut all doe tags at least in half, eliminate some counties all together.
3- allow bowhunting on private land during deer season- wear orange required.
4- stop hunting seasons for deer Dec 31.

I’m sure I could go down a rabbit hole with cell cams, drones, technology in general. Keep crossbows out. Etc.

But let’s hear some of your ideas- again- let’s keep it a tasteful conversation

1: Have people manage the land for diverse native habitat, instead making most management decisions based off of one single species.
2: Curtail the giant root measuring contest that deer hunting has become and focus more on the joy of the outdoors and stewardship of the land.
3: More public land access.

Love this!!!!! Maybe no surprise to any!!! ;).
I have my “reality list” & “dream list” …. & initially, reality is gonna come across like a “dream list” but it’s not. All these are extremely doable & could get majority support.

REALITY list:
#1 would sound most controversial & sound like dream list. It’s not. Yes, of all of them, #1 would need the most “WORK” or “education” but it could be done. & something along these lines is the pendulum swinging other way….. it’s swung one way , way too long.
1) reduce all deer seasons by 25%. YA, I SAID IT!!!!! 4.5 months of deer season on a herd that’s down double digits in last 10-15 years & “75% of state” being “way too low” for deer #’s is crazy. “Oh my gosh, this lunatic is proposing only having deer season for 3.5 months!!!” YES!!! I’m saying 3.5 months is what we need to dial it back to!!! Take 25% off every season so every group is equally impacted. For example… around the 25%-ish mark…
Youth season is 13 days vs 17.
Archery season is 75 days-ish vs 100.
Gun 1 is 4 days vs 5
Gun 2, 7-8 days vs 10.
Late ML: 15 days vs 21 or whatever
YES- I’d like to see all this get condensed with no shifting of gun season dates (or make opener like Dec 5 of every year) & wrap the season up around Jan 1 or soon after.
I would tweak above based on the looseness of it and the obstacles it would face. Little tweaks could get this done. Like “gun 1 must start on a weekend” - whatever.
Bottom line: 4.5 months, 7 seasons & 6+ weapons with <8% timber COULD easily be worked to 3.5 months.

2) celeb tags gone. Dnr keeps tags to auction off. Funds used for paying landowners for walkin hunting. With promotion pushing state towards a 7 year wait time to draw- no more promotion (getting millions of views). The funds created would be: $500,000 to $700,000 at auction (based on recent prices) @ $10/acre incentive: 50,000 to 70,000 more acres opened up. This is what we call a WIN/WIN/WIN!!!!!!!!!

3) max antlered deer shot for LO’s: 2. Make one floating. Do a lot shoot 3? NO. Do we need 3? NO. Needs changed.

4) crossbows kept in own season (the same season as ML). Keep it for disabled, injured & seniors Basically ….. JUST LEAVE US ALONE SPECIAL INTERESTS!!!!!!!!!!
5) public lands- lottery or sign up for timeframes to hunt. Managed pressure. So they do not get destroyed.
6) grow movements in other states so they fix their broken system. Thus alleviating the pressure to overwhelm our fragile system.
7) farmers that complain about deer #’s can be added to a list on DNR’s website where public can access these parcels (walk-in) to shoot does/deer. This is an EASY FIX!!!! Complain- get on list. Opens access to hunters as well!!!

DREAM LIST!!!!!! :)
1) ban outfitting
2) 1 buck for res. 2 for LO’s
3) crossbow companies indicted for bribery, their lobbyists fined x10 for all money paid to them. When found guilty in the kangaroo court…. Forced to plant trees & native grasses & other conservation work on their chain-gang work outside of jail.
4) all legislators who were bought off by special interest outsiders (LO tags to sell off to highest bidder for example), removed from office & indicted on “97 bogus charges” where we again use our kangaroo or banana republic like courts to find guilty & toss in jail.
5) legal authority to have all states in Midwest adopt mirroring regulations to iowa.
6) hmmmm. Now that I’m dreaming here…. I better just stop.

Love this!!!!! Maybe no surprise to any!!! ;).
I have my “reality list” & “dream list” …. & initially, reality is gonna come across like a “dream list” but it’s not. All these are extremely doable & could get majority support.

REALITY list:
#1 would sound most controversial & sound like dream list. It’s not. Yes, of all of them, #1 would need the most “WORK” or “education” but it could be done. & something along these lines is the pendulum swinging other way….. it’s swung one way , way too long.
1) reduce all deer seasons by 25%. YA, I SAID IT!!!!! 4.5 months of deer season on a herd that’s down double digits in last 10-15 years & “75% of state” being “way too low” for deer #’s is crazy. “Oh my gosh, this lunatic is proposing only having deer season for 3.5 months!!!” YES!!! I’m saying 3.5 months is what we need to dial it back to!!! Take 25% off every season so every group is equally impacted. For example… around the 25%-ish mark…
Youth season is 13 days vs 17.
Archery season is 75 days-ish vs 100.
Gun 1 is 4 days vs 5
Gun 2, 7-8 days vs 10.
Late ML: 15 days vs 21 or whatever
YES- I’d like to see all this get condensed with no shifting of gun season dates (or make opener like Dec 5 of every year) & wrap the season up around Jan 1 or soon after.
I would tweak above based on the looseness of it and the obstacles it would face. Little tweaks could get this done. Like “gun 1 must start on a weekend” - whatever.
Bottom line: 4.5 months, 7 seasons & 6+ weapons with <8% timber COULD easily be worked to 3.5 months.

2) celeb tags gone. Dnr keeps tags to auction off. Funds used for paying landowners for walkin hunting. With promotion pushing state towards a 7 year wait time to draw- no more promotion (getting millions of views). The funds created would be: $500,000 to $700,000 at auction (based on recent prices) @ $10/acre incentive: 50,000 to 70,000 more acres opened up. This is what we call a WIN/WIN/WIN!!!!!!!!!

3) max antlered deer shot for LO’s: 2. Make one floating. Do a lot shoot 3? NO. Do we need 3? NO. Needs changed.

4) crossbows kept in own season (the same season as ML). Keep it for disabled, injured & seniors Basically ….. JUST LEAVE US ALONE SPECIAL INTERESTS!!!!!!!!!!
5) public lands- lottery or sign up for timeframes to hunt. Managed pressure. So they do not get destroyed.
6) grow movements in other states so they fix their broken system. Thus alleviating the pressure to overwhelm our fragile system.
7) farmers that complain about deer #’s can be added to a list on DNR’s website where public can access these parcels (walk-in) to shoot does/deer. This is an EASY FIX!!!! Complain- get on list. Opens access to hunters as well!!!

DREAM LIST!!!!!! :)
1) ban outfitting
2) 1 buck for res. 2 for LO’s
3) crossbow companies indicted for bribery, their lobbyists fined x10 for all money paid to them. When found guilty in the kangaroo court…. Forced to plant trees & native grasses & other conservation work on their chain-gang work outside of jail.
4) all legislators who were bought off by special interest outsiders (LO tags to sell off to highest bidder for example), removed from office & indicted on 97 “bogus charges” where we again use our kangaroo or banana republic like courts to find guilty & toss in jail.
5) legal authority to have all states in Midwest adopt mirroring regulations to iowa.
6) hmmmm. Now that I’m dreaming here…. I better just stop.
Governor tags!!! Yes, get rid of them. We don’t need any celebrities getting to come year after year just because

Governor tags!!! Yes, get rid of them. We don’t need any celebrities getting to come year after year just because

I agree ! Most celebrities get perks in everything in life and they can afford the luxuries most cannot. Why should they get to hunt Iowa more than regular folks. I’m not against success or wealth at all. I applaud it. But I don’t think privileged celebrities should get to hunt more often than NR landowners. I sure as heck don’t like to watch them pimping Iowa as a destination to hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. Get rid of all the new cartridges allowed during shotgun season. There was no need to change it other than to sell more guns, and start the slide towards necked cartridges in IA.
2. Get rid of Cell cams during hunting season. Off season doesn't bother me.
3. Keep politicians and lobbyists out of hunting regulations. Let the DNR do their job and make decisions based off of science and what is best for the environment.

1. Change shotgun season to just one 8-day season. Make the late Muzzle loader season 7 days. Right now, it's 5 weeks of basically high-powered rifle season. The shotgun seasons get straight wall cartridges, and some muzzleloaders now shoot 500-600 yards. Not much different than using a 30.06 for 5 weeks.
2. If you get caught baiting it is a minimum of 1 year loss of hunting privileges, 2nd offense would be 5 years loss of hunting. When people actually loss the right to hunt they will stop baiting.
3. Iowa residents can only harvest 2 bucks max per year. 3 is too many.
4. Allow archery during the shotgun season(s).

I do not have a problem with a limited number of governor's tags. If people want to pay $20,000- 30,000 for a tag use that money for the state. That is better than allowing more NR hunters, allowing crossbows, more outfitters, etc (all these get passed for more revenue). States want more revenue and the governor's tags can provide that with minimum damage to the deer herd.

Tiny clarification for anyone who doesn’t know:
“Governor tags” vs “media tags” as there’s so many names for them.

Governor or Auction tags = GOOD!!! Those tags are auctioned off & the proceeds go to conservation organizations. The $ brought in is crazy. Like $25k per tag. FANTASTIC!!!!!!! & heck, I’d all be adding to it & one other option would be transferring BELOW tags to the Auction/Charity tag program.

Media or Celebrity tags go to celebrity NR’s who PROMOTE OUR STATE’S DEER HUNTING!!!!! They jump the line over other NR’s & pay same price as other NR’s. No one benefits except them jumping the line & them laughing how silly the program is (I know plenty of these folks & some of my buddies have got the tag. Trust me- they get it and think the program needs to go. They think it’s insanity but will take the tag). Essay u write at the end must include how many viewers u reached and how u promoted Iowas deer hunting. It’s often 1M views+ for some of big ones. The more u reach- the more likely u r to get the tag the next time u apply. Tens of millions are being promoted iowa hunting on the best farms in state YEARLY, due to these tags alone. Program is a total joke. Needs to disappear 15 years ago!!!!!! Next best time to eliminate it…. NOW!!!!!! MUST GO!!!!!!! Will be going. Funds will likely soon be used for access for regular hunters & possibly conservation organizations. We are fighting hard to correct this disaster.

Question (and I don't know where I'd stand on this). Would you support eliminating a second tag for everyone and make the one statewide buck tag float for all seasons?

So everyone would get 1 floating tag. LOT tags would still exist for those that qualify.

Question (and I don't know where I'd stand on this). Would you support eliminating a second tag for everyone and make the one statewide buck tag float for all seasons?

So everyone would get 1 floating tag. LOT tags would still exist for those that qualify.
I think so- but the hard part would be, in my opinion, patrolling it and also then party hunting.

All seasons over by Dec 31! I’d like to see 1 buck tag, with a landowner option if you have 40 or 80 acres or more in the counties that can handle it ? Simply one buck tag period would be awesome !

Last edited:
All seasons over by Dec 31! I’d like to see 1 buck tag, with a landowner option if you have 40 or 80 acres or more in the counties that can handle it ? Simply one buck tag period would be awesome !
The only problem with an acre limit- I feel like that might lead to actual habitat destruction. I think iowa is 2 acres now? I’d like to see 10 or 15- but nothing more than that. My own opinion.

High on my list is eliminate party hunting for bucks. I'm ok with it existing for does. If you want to shoot a buck, have a tag.
I know a group who knocked down a very possible 180+ typical today while group hunting muzzy. Thoughts on that? They would have their own tag? But sure gets hard to police it after that doesn’t it? (Genuinely asking)
I always thought “group” hunting was just as dumb but in my area- a lot of groups switched and do that doing late muzzy. Officer said it’s perfectly legal- they can even still carry their gun after they filled a tag- tell me how that’s supposed to work?!

My wish list:
1) Have the DNR manage the deer without political influence
2) eliminate party hunting
3)One buck a year / could live with landowner having a second buck tag
4)eliminate celebrity tags
5)end seasons 12/31
OTHERS:
no food plots minerals or feeding
no rifle
crossbow only in gun season except disabled
landowner tag reduces pay only, no extra deer that do not count against quota, need 40 acre to qualify
no cell cams or at least in season

I would think if they tagged(E/S tag) they could only continue to hunt with a weapon if they had another valid tag(doe) otherwise thats party hunting? They could participate/push without a weapon but to have a weapon my understanding is they need a valid tag. Kind of like turkey if you kill you can still participate/call but can't have a gun. Too many gray areas anymore.

I know a group who knocked down a very possible 180+ typical today while group hunting muzzy. Thoughts on that? They would have their own tag? But sure gets hard to police it after that doesn’t it? (Genuinely asking)
I always thought “group” hunting was just as dumb but in my area- a lot of groups switched and do that doing late muzzy. Officer said it’s perfectly legal- they can even still carry their gun after they filled a tag- tell me how that’s supposed to work?!
Depending where you're at, if available most likely the whole group buys doe tags also and then anyone who burns their buck tag turns into a pusher and can't legally shoot a buck but can still actively hunt. There are a few groups here who do the same

Depending where you're at, if available most likely the whole group buys doe tags also and then anyone who burns their buck tag turns into a pusher and can't legally shoot a buck but can still actively hunt. There are a few groups here who do the same
No doe tags here. Officer said it’s ok. They can still be “coyote” hunting….

Top Bottom