Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Implements

keep an eye on farm auctions. Also older equipment laying around old farmers barns. Some just want to get rid of it. I would personaly stay away from dealerships, your going to pay premium there.I would get a small disk first and a section of harrow. That should get you started.

Sprayer, disk or tiller, Spreader (quality such as a Vicon) 3 point), cultipacker, 4 row planter
grin.gif
Looks like that will get you started.
Does this mean you now have an orange tractor?

[ QUOTE ]
I am now in need of some small implement. Where would you spend your money first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Costs aside...I would buy a tiller first. You can work up almost anything, small or large plot, but they are pricey.

A disc is much cheaper but you can end up cussing them if they don't have enough weight to cut thru heavy trash or sod.

Renting the local no-till drill from the county conservation board or NRCS is a great way around alot of problems rather then buying a drill at first.

Gota have a sprayer!
smile.gif

Man you are gonna have fun now!
cool.gif

I'd agree with DBL and IABruce - start with a tiller (just got a 73" JD tiller this year). Also a spreader (either atv or 3 pt) and a sprayer - can even plant RU corn & beans - no need to plant 'em in rows & weed control is no issue! Have fun!

I think that was a package with a rotary mower- right? If not, I would put that at the top of the list. Tiller or disk next, you can make a drag but old harrow sections are pretty cheap.
Have some fun in the dirt!

[ QUOTE ]
Ask Timberpig if a tiller is a good idea or not. It's really the only dirt worker you need.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that tiller is slick. They are slow, but it looks to be a one pass deal for most plantings. They give you a really, really nice seed bed and dont leave alot of trash on top. My largest plot is one acre and I think a tiller is going to work fantastic for my situation. I had an ATV disc last year and there is absolutely no comparison in the results.
Then your gonna need a sprayer, rotory mower, spreader, cultipacker, sprayer....
cool.gif

The tractor came with the mower, loader and scraper. I will start looking at trillers right away and sprayers. I also need a trailer, cheap!
crazy.gif

We've got a couple of 12' JD disks, one is in decent shape and the other needs a little repair. Let me know if your interested.

I am interested but will this 38hp tractor handle that 12ft disc? I'll PM you with contact info.

[ QUOTE ]
will this 38hp tractor handle that 12ft disc?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty borderline but you can always use the hydraulic cylinder to lift it a little and adjust the draft angle.
I think I'd rather have another 10-15 hp but you might get by. Are the tires loaded on that Kubota?

What you can pull is going to depend on your soils and terrain as well. You are getting the Kubota plumbed for rear hydraulics? Otherwise look for 3pt equipment. Remember that Christmas and Valentines day isn't that far away.
I don't have one but repeat after me... tiller, tiller, tiller

The tiller is great for one pass finishing of good soils but,keep in mind you will not be able to use it on less than ideal areas which are commonly used as food plot sites.Not to throw a wrench into the mix but,if you have any rocks,roots or logs in the intended plot area you will risk damaging your equipment as well as "beating" yourself in the process.I have found that a good heavy duty disc is better for my food plots/trails through the timber as well general all around use.

Good point Plotman -

I don't have a disc or a tiller, but since almost anywhere I would want to use the tiller had trees on it until this Spring. (They were mowed or bulldozed off for CRP compliance reasons.) I am sure I would have to go with a disk because the tiller would be running into stumps and roots and whatnot like crazy. If your ground is clear then you probably want the tiller, if your ground is rough like mine you may need a disc, at least for a couple of years. Thoughts to think...

I did have a farmer come in lately with a disk, it is still somewhat rough but it is getting smoother all the time. Let's just say my foodplots don't look as good as Dbltree's!
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You are getting the Kubota plumbed for rear hydraulics? Otherwise look for 3pt equipment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda forgot about that! Many if not most smaller tractors aren't equipped for hydraulics
crazy.gif

Just a note on the tillers...I've ran mine over more rocks, stumps and you name it, then I care to admit...it just jumps over them and keeps on ticking.

Not saying it's a great idea, but it's part of the deal sometimes. I've never broken a tine, sheared a pin or made any other repairs.

Hit to many stumps and rocks with a disc and your gonna end up with broken blades, not to mention replacing bearings etc.

I've used both for longer then I care to remember, both great tools...but for a small tractor, a tiller requires very little hp and does a whale of a job!
cool.gif

Tiller tiller tiller. Ok where should I start shopping. Aslo does anybody no of a quality used trailer.

Don't tell my boss, but tractor supply has a heavy duty 60" tiller that works (worked} great for me. Timberpig can tell you about the one I sold him.

I see some gray market ones being advertised in this paper. Just did a quick search, didn't find the one I was looking for but found this one. Search the PDF for tiller- it is about 5th page otherwise.
Hawkeye Trader

You can search small tractor forums for positive/negative reports on tillers. The ones at TSC are most likely the least expensive, but problems and parts I can't say.

Availabilty of parts and service is a big thing to consider and ask about when considering equipment, new or used.

Here's some links to "shop" thru
smile.gif

Tractor Forum

Woods Tillers

King Kutter Tillers

New Holland Tillers

JD Tiller

Kubota Rotary Tillers

Some other equipment you can find at auction sales pretty reasonable:

3 pt spreader:

3ptseeder.jpg

Sprayer...a friend bought this one for $30 and I put all new hoses on it and it gets the job done.

Sprayer-1.jpg

Top Bottom