Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Inter seeding rye in soybeans or corn

dbltree

Super Moderator
Pharmer has posted some great pics of rye and how green it stays thru the winter months.
You can hand seed rye into soybeans and even corn in early September, preferably just ahead of a good rain. The rye will germinate and add green feed as the beans are eaten. With a good hand seeder and a little "hoof work" one can seed a few acres in short time. Much easier in beans of course but it can be done in corn. Farmers have it flown on in most cases.
Just a way to add a little "frosting" to your food plot cake!
grin.gif

Hey Double,

I really do like broadcasting wheat or rye seed throughout a bean field just before their leaves fall off. When their leaves fall to the ground they cover the seed. And provided you get a good rain at the right time, it can pay off big time!! A double whammy, if you will.

I usually try to till it in but one year I got a late start and ended up broadcasting into a semi-dead stand of brome that was about 12" tall. I ran the bush hog over it and it kind of mulched the grass over it. It started to rain about the time I was done. It turned into a really nice fall stand and came back really strong the next spring.

Top Bottom