Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

internals

I would eat the heart, but there is never much left of it when I'm done
grin.gif
cool.gif
. Yeah right, all kidding aside, I wouldn't touch that crap with a 10 foot pole
grin.gif

I've eaten the liver before but since it is the toxic waste dump of the body, I tend to toss it now. The heart is a muscle and I slice it and bake in bbq sauce until tender (that is if I haven't shot it all to pieces
grin.gif
).

Why eat a hot dog when you can have a steak?
grin.gif
Heart can be good if properly prepared, liver is nasty no matter what it came out of.
icon_redface[1].gif

Venison liver is alot more tame tasting then beef. If you have a spouse that maybe will kinda think about eating liver... Go with venison first, then move to beef.

Heart... MMmmmm... Fry it just like tenderloins... Slice it in small pieces and coat in flower and fry in butter. You may want to leave them soak a few days in water to really get the blood out.

Dean

I keep every heart...gentle boil in some salted water for a few hours, slice like a tomato with a little salt on it...YUM. I can't wait.

Never tried liver.

i try and eat the heart while it is still beating, have to shoot them in the head with the smoke stick for that, the classic vital shot messes things up!!!
smirk.gif
smirk.gif
smirk.gif

Heart is excellent. Sliced and fried with a little bacon and onion!!! One of the best cuts from a deer!!!

Won't touch liver though.

Do you eat it valves and all? I assume their heart is much the same as ours. The thought of eating a valve and the chordae tendineae (little tendons that hook to the papillary muscle to open a couple of the valves) about makes me nauseous. That would be one tough piece to chew.

The 'Bonker

Chordae Tendonae??? Bonker, you never stop amazing us. That is a very nice anatomy lesson and I agree that they along with the valves would be some tough chewing.
frown.gif

I think that I would remove as much of that stuff as possible before throwing it in the ol frying pan.

[ QUOTE ]
Why not make some chitlins?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I used the intestine for chitlins, what would I use for casing on my brats?
smirk.gif

I slice the heart into 3/4 or inch slices, throw them in a gallon ziploc with a bottle of Italian dressing for a few hours or a day, then grill them like a steak. Good eatin!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you don't even strip 'em(squeeze the poo out)before you stuff 'em.

I'll eat your Brats if you drink my King Cobra.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you don't even strip 'em(squeeze the poo out)before you stuff 'em.

I'll eat your Brats if you drink my King Cobra.

The 'Bonker

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounded bad in more ways than one

I love the heart and most of the poeple I know who hunt will save thiers and bring it to me,
I cut out the top and trim the fat from around the top and then boil it for three hours , Finally slice it about 1/4 " or so and egg and flour then fry in a little oil until crispy, Very good ,My kids love it too . I had a youth hunter who was hunting with us last weekend try it and he loved it even though he said he wouldnt like it . After he ate some he said he wants to make sure we keep his deers heart so he can eat it too.

Liver --No Thanks

If you like liver, deer liver is the best. It's better than beef liver, just don't over fry it.Both of my boys love it and when they were little and just tagging along, they would check every gut pile we came across. One day we ended up with 5 liver, but only shot one deer.

Top Bottom