Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

iowa DNR wants to raise hunting/fishing fees......

Re: iowa DNR wants to raise hunting/fishing fees..

Well actually the change for antlerless licenses was designed to be relatively revenue neutral. If you look at the license sales for the past couple of years just under half of these antlerless licenses were sold for $27. In 2007 the amount of money that goes to the department would have been reduced by 10%. I think that the change is a good one. Finally all antlerless license will be the same price.

The overall increase in license fees is pretty much what is needed by the department to keep up with the increasing cost of doing business. The last time deer licenses were increased was in 1991. The proposed fees don't even keep up with the price of inflation since then.

In some ways it would be better if the license fees were indexed to inflation because it would avoid these large periodic increases.

Finally, if you really think this is some sort of strategy to increase the the number of nonresident licenses you are just plain incorrect. However if you were trying to generate a bunch of comments you may have succeeded. :)

I would be happy to send the review I did on the costs and the consumer price index. email me at:

willie.suchy@dnr.iowa.gov

Willie,
Thanks for your participation. Whatever it takes to preserve the quality of hunting we currently have. I would rather pay an increase than open the flood gates.

I do hear what some of you are preaching though with park user fees, ect... If you feel that strongly about it then contact your legislators let them know how you feel and see what they can do. Why isn't there user fees on bicycles? ect...

Food for thought.

Check the price of going to a Hawkeye football game for one weekend and you will realize hunting isn't that expensive. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

You mean those tickets ain't free!!!! People pay to watch them? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Thanks for the comments Mr. Suchy and Blind sow. I always thought that license fee's in the state of Iowa were a little high, but I did not know that Iowa DNR does not have any type of funding, other than license sales.

Hopefully the substainalbe funding will pass soon!!

No that is the other team in the state and they can't give those away... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

wjs - comments appreciated. It is just tough to keep paying more and more for doe tags in my eyes especially when the costs are that much above other midwestern states. I liked the $11 tags.

Ask anybody on this site, I'm just plain cheap so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It is just tough to keep paying more and more for doe tags in my eyes especially when the costs are that much above other midwestern states. I liked the $11 tags. </div></div>

Where would the money come from then? Do you want them to raise the quota on nr tags... The sustainable funding needs to be passed or this will continue...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where would the money come from then? Do you want them to raise the quota on nr tags... The sustainable funding needs to be passed or this will continue... </div></div>

true enough, but what about bikers who ride on state funded trails or even public highways? (and are a danger to drivers i might add)

RAGBRI riders would pay an annual fee to use the public road ways! that is just like shotgun season to many! there are piles of devoted bike riders who participate, but also just as many who only take their bike out for that event. that would be just one way to generate income, rather than charging the hunters and fisherman

how about an annual state park user fee, say 20 bucks to use any state park in the state?

how about water sports??? skiing, tubing, SWIMMING?

all im saying is there are other people out there who use our states resources and dont have to pay, i think it would be fine to charge for usage!

i have already said it a few times, but i will gladly pay whatever to hunt and fish, you wont hear me complain, but i do think there are other folks out there who take advantage and could afford to cough up a few annual fees.....

whatever, ill email that to my legislature.....
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I'm as low- to middle-income as they come. I also have my share of beefs with the DNR. But I have supported every license fee increase they've proposed. If it helps them do their jobs better, more power to 'em.

Here in MN, my archery license costs $28. Extra doe tags=$14/each. I can get up to five for my unit. If buy all the tags available to me, I spend $100. Our archery season lasts about 100 days. That's one buck/day of hunting.

I can't think of much cheaper entertainment.

And compared to the other costs of hunting, license fees are a drop in the bucket, IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It is just tough to keep paying more and more for doe tags in my eyes especially when the costs are that much above other midwestern states. I liked the $11 tags. </div></div>

Where would the money come from then? Do you want them to raise the quota on nr tags... The sustainable funding needs to be passed or this will continue... </div></div>

I would also like to thank Willie and Blind Sow for giving us some insight on price increase.

There is now reason, in light of everything else having increased, to think we should not have to pay a little more.

However, I would also like to see more cost cutting information from the IDNR also.

What happens if people do in fact purchase fewer tags and revenue drops? What programs and services might we lose?

To me personally our CO's are very very important and they are already spread thin so that is something well worth funding. Perhaps some things should be cut (although I have no idea what?)

I'm certainly not going to quit hunting but I am able to take advantage of landowner tags (which I assume will go to 17.50 also???)

As mentioned, if we as residents don't step up and bear the costs, then perhaps some other "unsavory" options might be used as Limb mentioned, in which case a few more bucks for tags would seem like a bargain....... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Willie,
Thanks for your participation. Whatever it takes to preserve the quality of hunting we currently have. I would rather pay an increase than open the flood gates.

I do hear what some of you are preaching though with park user fees, ect... If you feel that strongly about it then contact your legislators let them know how you feel and see what they can do. Why isn't there user fees on bicycles? ect...

Food for thought.

Check the price of going to a Hawkeye football game for one weekend and you will realize hunting isn't that expensive. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

Thank you for your comments Mr. Suchy.
I actually just sent you a calendar you bought from me the other day. Thank you very much. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Reading Limb's post made me think how much it cost me to take a family of 6 out for dinner or brunch.

My priorities would just have to change that is all. Everything has a price.

I would even pay more than what is proposed if they would hire more CO officers to help protect our resources and had more stiffer penalties for the violators.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm certainly not going to quit hunting </div></div>

I'm right there with you, Paul.

I think we've got things pretty good here in Iowa and there are probably many states that charge their resident's similar fees to hunt an inferior deer herd.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Maybe I'll follow JNR's lead and start selling plasma to pay for deer tags. </div></div>

Muddy, tell them I sent you and they'll throw a ten spot my way for the referral. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> or brunch. </div></div>

You do 'Brunch' Tony???

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You do 'Brunch' Tony??? </div></div>

Easy Mr. Merlot. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Willie,I don't think there is any true opposition to fee increases as much as the propect of the increases never ending.
IMO we know the DNR needs more resources to perform their functions as well as catch up on some we haven't been doing.But the hunters and fisherman will never be able to completely fund the operation appropriately on their own.
The state needs to get involved and help out.

I may be naive but when I think about the value of the hunting licenses I buy each year, it is still an pretty good economic value compared to most other forms of recreation. I personally would prefer to pay a little more increase for a buck tag than doe tags. Also, if the harvest opinions we are all commonly hearing this year are accurate, the DNR should be issuing about 1/2 the doe tags in most of the state compared to this year anyway and in some counties (like mine) probably none. I think those of us that have been accustom to shooting does each year MAY have to accept less opportunities to so or we may overshoot the population levels some if we have not done so already.

My only real beef will be if the same DNR that requires the vast majority of their operating cash come from resident hunters-fishers then is an advocate of changes in license quotas which reduce the very land access opportunities for those hunters who support their existance. THAT knive in the back will never heal and may do permanent damage to resident participation levels in Iowa.

Two things to remember about the sustained funding initiative, if the House and Senate both pass the bill again then it goes to the voters in 2010. If passed the money doesn’t automatically start to flow. Somebody has to raise the sales tax. Nobody wants, in this day and age, to be seen as a tax and spender. So sustainable funding could be quite a ways off.

Second thing, even if it passes, is voted in and somebody raises the sales tax your license fees won’t go down.

Last year the DNR returned in the neighborhood of 2.3 million dollars to NRs that did not draw. So I’m positive there is considerable pressure, probably from the Governor on down, to realize that money so the Governor doesn’t have to raise taxes and be seen as the aforementioned tax and spenders. Will the increase in resident fees offset the monies returned to the nondrawing NRs?

If you look at the number of tags issued last year, roughly 284K, we would each have to pay about $10.00 more per tag to offset what the State sends back per year. Only the either sex tag is going up and if I did the math right that is $8.50/tag which could come very close to the offset, but I don’t know how many of the 284K tags were the less expensive doe tags so it could still be far below 2.3 million needed to offset the returned cash.

My apologies to Willie, if I have the figures, or the sustained funding wrong please correct my errors. I have a hard time adding 2+2 and coming up with a reasonable answer.

The 'Bonker

My county has no extra doe tags so I wont comment on that since it has no effect on me. I see no problem at all with increasing the cost of the either sex tag.I know a lot of hunters and I cant think of a single one that cant cough up an extra 8 bucks out of their annual budget for their deer tag. Everything I buy has gone up in recent years, and I'm sure the cost of doing business has gone way up for the D.N.R in recent years as well. Even if they did a better job of spreading the cost around to other park users I still think the tags are plenty cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The DNR has tried for resident license increases over the past several years but keep getting turned down by legislators who balk with the comment "it's a tax". They are wrong--it is not a tax--it's not a user fee. If you don't use it, it doesn't cost you a thing</div></div>

it sure as heck isn't a user fee. there are PLENTY of "users" out there, enjoying the natural recourses that aren't paying a dime.

and as far as doe tags, any icrease there, and i am probably done buying them

Top Bottom