Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa harvest reports

D

Dennis M

Okay its now well into the first week of season and we should be getting some reports on deer sightings and harvest reports. So lets hear from everyone that has been in the woods!

[This message has been edited by Dennis M (edited 10-05-2000).]

Not a harvest report, but an interesting "death" report. Although I didn't witness it, I understand our local DNR officer did. He told of two large bucks locked up in a local piece of timber. One was dead already, and when he attempted to free them, the live buck was able to break away. Reportedly the dead buck (smaller of the two) had a 20+" spread, although I don't know that its been scored. My question is - What are bucks doing fighting like this in late September ??? Anyway, an interesting story. Good Hunting!

I witnessed last Friday morning, two Bucks that were well aged here in SD. They were going at it like we were much later into the season than we are. Never have seen two Bucks with 19-22 inch spreads go at it that hard, this early. It was obvious that they were just sparring but it was quite forceful for just the typical taps. Got a Video Clip of it but its so far away, one can only tell the quality of these animals on a large TV sceen. I could believe such a story since I witnessed those two Bucks going at it the other day.

I was out hunting Sunday evening and I got to witness my first buck ever. I was so excited when I looked up and all I could see through the hole in the trees leaves was a very white 6 point buck just walking so carefully. He was about 30 yards away with no possible shot and then he took a hard right and followed my doe pee that I used on my boots the wrong WAY. I enjoyed it greatly and that is the only thing I have seen except for hearing some sparring last night aout 75-100 yards away, and there is lots of new rubs out there.

love this bowhunting.
Hope to get my first deer soon.

I went out Saturday morning and actually saw characteristics that would normally be displayed later in the season as well.

I had a nice buck snort-weez at me as I walked across an alfalfa field in the dark. He wasn't too worried about me, he was more interested in a doe that he was chasing around and a small four pointer that was in the group.

Well I was out here in Texas thinking that the weather was alot like Iowa's low 40"s and raining. I did manage to harvest a lead doe out of a bunch of about ten doe and yearlings, with my Palmer recurve using journeyman 140gr broadhead. Trying to get in shape for my trip to Iowa, only 17 more days!
This past weekend should of been great for you all weather wise!
Good luck to all.

[This message has been edited by Dennis M (edited 10-10-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis M:
Well I was out here in Texas thinking that the weather was alot like Iowa's low 40"s and raining. I did manage to harvest a lead doe out of a bunch of about ten doe and yearlings, with my Palmer recurve using journeyman 140gr broadhead. Trying to get in shape for my trip to Iowa, only 17 more days!
This past weekend should of been great for you all weather wise!

What part of Iowa you going to be hunting in?

Good luck to all.

[This message has been edited by Dennis M (edited 10-10-2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll be hunting in the eastern edge of Iowa, Missouri Valley, Iowa area. Hope to be there in about 16 more days!

Had a great weekend hunting the county parks with my boys. Harvested a doe Friday evening with my 7 year old along. The exciting part of the hunt was summed up by his words at the beginning and at the end:

"Dad deer!" (he is spotting them before me)

"She's down. She's down. She's down!!!"

He was so excited - I could see him shaking. I think he is hooked!

My 5 year old got to see a doe on his first hunt but she didn't get quite close enough. After about 30 minutes, he was sound asleep. Wonder if the snoring kept the deer away?

Looking forward to hunting the bucks in November, but am having a blast with my boys right now.

Had the same thing happen with the Mrs Doe Pee a couple years ago. I'd stopped the trail just short of my stand the buck came in hit the end and then turned around and back tracked the trail before I realized what happened.

Went out this morning and had four does go by and two small 8 pointers go by. It was a great morning with little if any wind.

Hunted a county park tonight and filled my doe tag. That will help soften the itch to let an arrow fly until a big buck walks by.

Glad to see your getting your kids involved. Several people at work are taking their children out with them this weekend for early muzzleloader. I think its terrific.

BTW, my doe was the fourth doe checked into the park office tonight. All five were taken about the same time 6:00pm. Don't know if an indication as to what time the deer are starting to move?

ibalogo_small.gif

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-11-2000).]

RJack that is great to hear sharing with your kids. I was wondering if you are using a blind or if you have a treehouse for a tree stand? I am going to purchase a blind in spring for the long beards and my 8 year old boy loves to talk to them big boys, but he just can't sit very still.

later

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis M:
I'll be hunting in the eastern edge of Iowa, Missouri Valley, Iowa area. Hope to be there in about 16 more days!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's about 30 miles South of me,should be some good hunting. Not very far from the Loess Hills they grow real big in there. Hills are pretty steep not to many people like to walk that much. How many days do you get to hunt?
You should be up here real close to the rut.
I usually figure it starts about the 10th give or take a couple of days. Are you visiting friends or with a quide/outfitter?

Dennis if you are heading to eastern Iowa looking for Missouri Valley, you are going to be on the wrong end of the state! Missouri Valley is in Southwest Iowa. It was probably mistyped on your part, but if not you better get a map! LOL!

I have hunted and trapped quite a bit of that area, and there are a lot of good bucks. If your buddy has the stand locations on the money, you really have a good chance at scoring a P&Y. It all depends on what he's got lined up for habitat and stand locations. Bucks will be on the move at that time, if you are seeing bucks regularly, I would certainly not shoot a 1.5 year old or 2.5 year old in the first few days. Let us know how you do.

I'll be glad to give a full reprt when I return. I am shooting for a 3.5 to 4.5 year old buck in the high 120's to low 130's but may settle for less if need be.
grin.gif
Then it's off to Waterloo and visit rest of the family after of course a little celabration in Missouri Valley!

On saturday the 14th I harvested a decent 8 point in Madison County, and to my surprise one antler had half of the beam and all of the G-2 broken off. Is it just me or isn't it a little early for that?

You guys are killing me only 11 more days till I leave for Iowa
smile.gif

Dennis hope for some cooler weather, bring some light camo as well as heavy, it might change from day to day. The temps have been in the 70's and warm when you have to walk for any distance.

later

Top Bottom