Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is Your Area Wet or Dry This Summer?

VERY spotty in NW MO and SW IA. Have had 1.1” since beginning of May!!! And as someone already mentioned these are July and August types of showers. 1” one spot and 0a mile away. No widespread thunderstorms.

The good ole days....
Still the greatest post in IW history....

Screenshot_20230619_194406_Chrome.jpg

After watering my pumpkins yesterday, I was surprised today when I pulled in about 3oclock.
It was 90* and strong winds.
The first plot (about) 100 plants looked terrible.
Leaves looked droopy and off colored.
Picked out 2 random plants, gave them a gallon of water and within 10 minutes, the leaves were bright green and erect.

A small foodplot as of 7:30 pm. June 22 after a bit over an inch of rain.
Incredible how much the pumpkin plants grew today.
I watered the east of the garden Tuesday night, zucchini jumped a foot the next day and have flower/4" squash set. Something (groundhog?) ate the leaves off my cucumbers. Need to get a trail cam on them to determine who dies. As the surrounding vegetation dries up, I'm afraid the lush garden is going to be more and more attractive to the critters.

Forecasting rain for tomorrow, fingers crossed. Hope to get the first cutting of big round bales into the shed tonight after work, so that should kill chances of rain........ :(

I watered the east of the garden Tuesday night, zucchini jumped a foot the next day and have flower/4" squash set. Something (groundhog?) ate the leaves off my cucumbers. Need to get a trail cam on them to determine who dies. As the surrounding vegetation dries up, I'm afraid the lush garden is going to be more and more attractive to the critters.

Forecasting rain for tomorrow, fingers crossed. Hope to get the first cutting of big round bales into the shed tonight after work, so that should kill chances of rain........ :(
FWIW, my experience with food plots during droughty summers, which are all too common in my area, harrumph, is that when the native vegetation dries down from lack of rain the still green corn, and bean, plants get hit even harder than they otherwise would. A true double whammy scenario.

Had to put irrigation in my garden this year or we wouldn't have any veggies. It's finally raining the past two days after 7 weeks of virtually no rain. The corn jumped some, still only about 18" high :(

Started raining about 2oclock today.
Looks like it's supposed to go nonstop till Sundayafternoon.
2+" on top of the inch 2 days ago.
Amazing how the corn has responded.
Thank you Lord.

Getting 0.1” to 0.2” per day at the farm. Would like more but thankful for every drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, I tilled a small area today at my farm and there was good moisture level in the soil. Definitely not used to seeing that in July around here.

Gonna go crazy and drill a couple of acres of beans tomorrow. Yee haw!!

Top Bottom