it's time to call your state rep

livtahunt

PMA Member
I have just found out that the dnr is trying to reduce the number of officers from 77 to 50 . That means one per every 2 counties . I have also found out that the sales tax the dnr is going to start reciveing is going for more bioligst that will help private land managment . so far this year ther has been 22 headless bucks found in jackson county . I'm firm believer that we need more officers in this state to help control this problem I work to hard for the legal deer i take.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GOLD TIP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It can't really be covered now! </div></div>

We really need one per county and even then it's a tough row to hoe to cover it. I hate to see a reduction in #'s for sure.

the guy from dubuque co has been comin down to jackson co quite a bit. andrew kile i believe is his name. also with using the helicopter you would think that they would be finding this guy that has been shootin them. there was a guy around bellevue that was found with like 5 deer hangin in his garage without tags. but people tell me that it doesnt seem that this is the guy shootin all the bucks.

the dnr officer for jackson is also for jones . they double them up that way where it looks like ther is 2 per county ever since they legalized the sell of antler poaching has went through the roof . it seems like people are going out shooting bucks and selling the racks to hobbyist (( use of the term loosely ) that are making everything from kinfes to lamps to door handles and so on

livtahunt, I agree 100 percent. If anything, we need more DNR, it helps us that follows the rules. I also hunt and own land in Jackson county. When I purchased my property I was told that people in the area treat the valley as wide open and not privately owned, when I heard this I was more than a little suprised. I haven't heard anything about the bucks taken. Do you happen to know what part of the county the bucks are being taken from? Just curious if it's around me.

I hate to hear this, I have permission to hunt some property in Jackson, hopefully this isn't going on around there.

I know the officer that covers where I hunt does two counties now and its a joke. He doesn't have enough time to cover all the areas.

I don't know where you heard this but it is not true. There is no attempt to reduce the number of COs to 50.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer (Pottawattamie Co)

Blind Sow , if not 50, then how many ? As of right now there are 8 co,s that are retiring or have retired that they do not plan to replace and that they are trying to reduce the numbers and fifty is what I heard

I really have no idea where you are getting your information but none of it is close to reality. We had several retire last year (3 in my southwest district) but they have been filled.

The only one retiring this year (2007) is me---I've been the only one to put in my papers. There is an open position in the southcentral district when an officer (Jason Sandholdt) became supervisor. That opening, plus mine, are now open for other officers to transfer into. When the dominos stop falling they will eventually hire two new CO's for whatever counties are left open.

Doug Clayton

At the risk of high jacking the thread:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blind Sow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The only one retiring this year (2007) is me---I've been the only one to put in my papers.
Doug Clayton </div></div>

Congratulations on retiring and thank you for your service!
thumbs_up.gif

Do you want to talk about out of touch..... I just recieved a letter from my local state represtative saying he was holding a forum to discuss issues with outdoors enthusiasts and hunters. Okay, do you want to know when he is doing it? December 1st at 9:00 AM! I'm guessing he wasn't intending on wearing orange to this meeting so we wont be talking much. I realize not everyone shotgun hunts but give me a break! He really seems in touch with the needs of the Iowa Sportman! I think I am going to call him and ask if his intentions were to truly get a perspective of whats going on and if so to have an alternative time. I guess at least his is asking for input. Wow....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the risk of high jacking the thread:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blind Sow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The only one retiring this year (2007) is me---I've been the only one to put in my papers.
Doug Clayton </div></div>

Congratulations on retiring and thank you for your service!
thumbs_up.gif
</div></div>

Congratulations Doug, and ditto on the thanks not only for your service but your expertise on this site. Best wishes to you in your future.

I was talking to a farmer and he told me someone poached a big buck just up the road from his house.He lives about 1/2 mile from the jackson co. line in jones north of canton. Where the jackson co. poachers in the west side of the co.?

Lets hope they catch these people quickly. IMO you should have to provide proof of harvest to sell/buy any non-shed antlers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: livtahunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have just found out that the dnr is trying to reduce the number of officers from 77 to 50 . That means one per every 2 counties . I have also found out that the sales tax the dnr is going to start reciveing is going for more bioligst that will help private land managment . so far this year ther has been 22 headless bucks found in jackson county . I'm firm believer that we need more officers in this state to help control this problem I work to hard for the legal deer i take.</div></div> Yep the crap never stops around here, people don't talk about the good ole boys ya know. If I saw it I'd turn em in, they're stealing from us all.

Back