Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late muzzy buck

Buckhunter

Hey everyone,
Well I finally got my chance at a good buck last night and made good on the shot.
I have really only been hunting for about 4 day's and had blown an oppartunity the night before after having a buck come in behind me and see me move.They alway's seem to come in where you least ecspect them too.
Anyway I was going to hunt a piece of state ground that has been loaded with does hoping I might get a shot at a buck at last light but when I got there I found someone else was already in that area so I decided to go to our private ground even though it's tough to hunt on a S.E wind.I decided to hunt off the ground so I worked my way to the river and set up about halfway down the hillside overlooking the river bottom hoping to catch any buck's filtering through.I jumped 4 does as soon as I almost got to where I wanted to set up but they didn't wind me and I was hoping they wouldn't scare everything out of the area.I was glassing the bottom later and spotted them bedded about 400 yd's away so I knew they hadn't gone far.I watched them for awhile and then glassed further down river and when I looked for them about 5 minute's later they were up and gone.It was about 4pm so I knew the deer were going to start moving.From the previous few day's hunt's All the movement had been after 4pm.
About 4:15 I started hearing a lone deer walking toward me from the east and started getting everything ready for a shot if needed.When I finally spotted him I wasn't sure he was a buck I wanted to take so I glassed him really good with my nikon's and that's when I decided I would take him if I could.
He kept coming and got right below me and a little to my right and stopped were I couldn't get a clear shot so I picked a spot ahead of him and told myself if he paused in that area I would take him.He did just what I had hoped and stopped as on cue.I knew from ranging earlier that he was a little over a 100yd's so I aimed dead on and pulled the trigger.At the shot he took off to the west like I had completly missed him.He went out of sight and never came back out of an area that I could have seen him leave from,so I thought maybe he was just standing out of sight waiting to see what to do next.I reloaded and very slowly started working my way down the hill in hope's that I would get another shot before he ran off.
When I got to the bottom area I finally spotted him and he was DOWN!
I had made a near perfect hit on him and he had went down within 60 yd's of were I shot him.
What a feeling it is to walk up to them right after you take them.I sat down next to him and just enjoyed the moment.If you hunt you already know the feeling that pulse's through your vein's at that time.
He's a main frame 8,he has a really a narrow rack but has a lot of mass all the way through his rack.He's also very tall.His main beam's almost touch in the front.I don'te know what he score's and I don't really care,I'm happy no matter how much he score's.
What a way to end the year!He's not the biggest stud in the wood's but I'm tickled to take him and he's my first deer taken with my new encore.As a side note my son Matt found the left shed off of him the year before about 200 yd's from were I took him.That shed now belong's to "POP'S"
smirk.gif

Anyway sorry about the long winded post but I just wanted to show him off a little and tell the story.
Good luck to everyone still hunting.Matt decided to take up the late muzzy hunting after seeing my deer,hopefully he'll be calling me for a little help.And thank's for all the help Matt and Brian,without it I would still be trying to drag him out of the river bottom.As usual I'm not smiling,but I'm happy as heck!!
grin.gif

300P1010359-med.JPG

300P1010354-med.JPG

Great lookin buck there buckhunter, he sure has some great tine length on him. Congrats on a great harvest.

Kratz

Top Bottom