Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Let's see the Best Tree on your Property

Joey Rott

I'm betting that a lot of us who are into planting and managing tree's, already have a particular one on your property stands out above the rest. Possibly it's your most productive mast producer that is a magnet to deer, one that you collect acorns/nut from for your own propagation, or pne that just stands out as the most beautiful tree around. I find myself looking at champion trees online, at times, and figured the IW members would have some nice ones of our own. So let's see them.

I’ll start off. In my area, the most common native trees are Cottonwoods and Hackberrys. It’s tough to find water around here that doesn’t have cottonwoods nearby, and it’s tough to find any upland ground without a Hackberry tree. Neither of them are very beneficial to deer for providing food though, but both provide good cover.

I have a large 6ft Diameter Cottonwood that came in as a close 2nd, but my favorite would have to be a Hackberry that is on the back corner of my yard, between a couple barns. I’ve never saw a Hackberry with such a good shape.

Hackberry1.jpg

Hackberry2.jpg

16 months ago, we received a destructive ice storm, where nearly every tree on the property experienced severe limb loss. Luckily this Hackberry didn’t lose a branch.

For those unfamiliar with a Hackberry, I wouldn’t recommend planting one in your yard. Even though they’re very hardy, pretty strong, and grow fairly fast, they have a problem with tree rot when they reach maturity. But a lot of it has to do with pruning it correctly throughout it’s life too..

HackberryLoss.jpg

Here’s a picture of another one on the edge of my property. It has a roughly 3 ft diameter truck, and had 3 main branches. The ice storm 16 months ago took 1 of them. Then over the winter, another broke. And just this week, the last one broke down. You can somewhat see from the picture, the rotten area in the middle that caused the weak spot. It provided 2-3 months of heat though!

This big white oak in my yard dumps acorns like crazy and I just love looking out my window and seeing this big majestic tree!

May2005.jpg

Oaks are my favorite and of those the white oak is just an amazing tree having survived longer then most species. :)

If you want a oak Joey get one started ! Sure they are a little slow but get well worth it. Its nice leaving something behind that could live 400 to 600 yrs ! I have two in my yard started from acorns I picked up bow hunting and are 15 ft tall ! Burs are my fav oak . They are in the white oak family . Wet spots swamp white oaks do well .Dryer spots white or burs have longer tap roots . I have some massive old oaks . Seems logging has taken most older oaks kinda sad .

I sure will. I plan planting 7-8 in the yard here sometime this summer. Right now i'm working up & leveling the new yard with the tractor. As soon as that's done(so I'm not dodging trees with the tractor), i'm making an order from Oikos.

As often as some people move from one house to another, I can see why some wouldn't plant oaks. But if you're going to live there for a long time, then why not...

Great thread. I hope lots of guys chime in, I'll try get a pciture or two up in the next few days, we've got some conifers on our property that I just love.

chris... that looks like the perfect tree for a stand this fall. might get a carp or two out of it

118902628_97cc993df2.jpg

The big spruce on the hillside is neat. It is about 3 ft through and who knows how high but it stands well about the mature hardwood around it. There is a twist in the base which may be why it was spared by logging to reach this size.

chris... that looks like the perfect tree for a stand this fall. might get a carp or two out of it

Lol, to be honest with you there is a major deer trail that runs between that tree and the pond. I actually harvested my archery buck this past year within 80 yards of that tree! I don't think there are any carp in the pond though...if there is i'll make sure to get ahold of you to 'exterminate' them for me....you seem to be quite the monster carp killer! :drink1:

Finally able to get a picture of my favorite tree on our farm, love those big bur oaks in the pastures! please ignore the thistles in the pasture, those things are relentless.
100_1803.jpg

I wish this regular white oak was on my farm...cause it has been loaded every year I checked it!!! It has big acorns shaped more like a pecan than a white oak.

White_Oak1.jpg

Top Bottom