Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for a new Broadhead...

flugge

So after a less than stellar year with the bow so far, and losing 2 deer in a matter of weeks, I want to switch broadheads. I currently shoot Montecs by G5, and loved them for years..However this year, I smacked a doe at 7 yards, she bled and bled and bled, but just walked away to never be found..And then I hit a GIANT that I still think should be dead, but same scenario, he bled and bled, we tracked for 3 days, nothing..(talking to coworker today, he had same thing happen this year with the G5, bad bunch??).. I prefer fixed blade heads, but havent really been out looking for anything new recently. People tell me DirtNap Gear, but all they tell me is cutting surface. Is that the size of the heads or? Any help or insight would be great..willing to look into anything and everything

RAMCAT hands down. I am also a fixed head guy and recently switched to these. Absolutely love them. Fixed blade, fly exacting like my field points and cut on the way back out if necessary. 100grain.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm sure there are plenty of "haters" out there but I will give my opinion. Since they came out I have been shooting rage and I will never switch. I currently shoot the Rage extremes with 2.3" cutting surface. I have NEVER lost a deer with them. Not going to say it won't happen but so far I have not. And with that I have made so questionable shots but have always recovered my animal and in most cases less than 100 yards from shot. I shot the hypodermics one year and will never go back...in there early years the hypos had some flaws in the ferrel and they would break upon contact and that's exactly what happened to me but it happened once and I learned my lesson....so for me it's rage extremes. Now some people will say that they aren't very strong and to that I say so what! If I get one kill out of a broadhead I am fine with that. I'll buy more or replace blades. I have killed 4 deer with my bow this year and did not bend or break a single blade but still always install new blades after a shot.
So here's my take on the debate of fixed vs mechanical. Yes it's ALL about shot placement I will agree with that argument 100%. But we are all hunters and have seen all sorts of things happen in the whitetail woods whether it's a twig, a flinch, a deer jumping the string, not taking your time because it's the buck of a lifetime...things happen we have all been there and if you haven't you will...so for me I shoot a big broadhead to prepare for that off chance something happens, I'm still putting a huge hole in that deer and more than likely will recover my animal...same reason I switched from Hornadys to Barnes with my muzzleloader, a bigger hole. So to your question I would recommend shooting rage extremes, nasty holes, huge blood trails and for me always a dead animal at the end of it!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I have shot the 2" cut Grim Reapers, that have a muzzy like tip that has 3 small razor blades in it, for close to 10 years I think? I have had NOTHING but positive experiences with them except for that 1 buck I hit square in the shoulder blade.

If I were to switch back to fixed heads it would be a Muzzy no question about it. I'd love to use a 2 bladed single bevel head based simply on the bone splitting power they have (watch YouTube videos from TuffHead or Tusker companies) but the small 3:1 ratio doesnt produce as good of blood trails on bad shots.

^^Agree with you Rooster..Problem is, I just havent looked that hard for a broadhead in years..so hearing everyones positives and negatives is helpful to me. I wont say that I would never look at a mechanical, I just know the type of luck I had with Rage a few years back that left zero blood trail (they admitted they had some problems at the time it took place, so not ruling them out totally)...but its just nice to hear other varieties that I might not hear about

I shoot Rage and Exodus. I've looked at Ramcat and like the looks of them. My wife shot the Montecs and the one thing I noticed is they were not very sharp out of the package. We sharpened hers but ended up switching to Exodus for her as well.

I switched to Rocket Hammerhead around 2013 and I am extremely impressed with the holes, blood trails and internal damage these heads do....have not lost a deer since. My sons shoot them as well with great results-short tracking jobs.

Slick Trick Magnums. They're tough as nails. 1 1/8" four blade head. They are my favorite for strength against bone and they fly like field points

I prefer fixed blade heads

I do as well and been shooting Steel Force broad heads for about 15 years. I started shooting the Fat Heads rather then the premium, the are tough as a mad pitbull. They are a cut on impact head. I've tried many different heads but am pleased all around with these and will stick with them.

Straight down shot, not preferred but it cut some bone.
full

Another Slick trick magnums here. Shot deer, bear, hogs, yotes, and turkey with them and never had an issue. Switched to them years ago after going on a hog hunt where the guide swore by them and actually strongly advised me to shoot them over the muzzy I had at the time. I've tried a few others over the years but always go back. Ive shot them out of a lot of different bows without having to make any major adjustments. Shot 3rd doe on same head sat night and still looks brand new.

My second choice would be exodus

Lately I shoot Muzzy Trocar HB or slick tricks. I really like the hybrid trocars right now though. I have been able to sharpen the blades on the HB's and re-use them and there are no o-rings or plastic jackets to fail.

I shot Rages for years and they were fine as long as you double lunged them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Do searches on Archery Talk and you will get tons of differing opinions. For fixed blades I like in order...

Almost any Magnus - but shoot flour blade buzzcuts right now.
Slick trick magnums
Exodus

All of these are tough and leave good holes. I just shoot the Magnus because they give me the best groups.

If money was no object I would try Iron Will. $$$

You know my pick of Broadheads
Do searches on Archery Talk and you will get tons of differing opinions. For fixed blades I like in order...

Almost any Magnus - but shoot flour blade buzzcuts right now.
Slick trick magnums
Exodus

All of these are tough and leave good holes. I just shoot the Magnus because they give me the best groups.

If money was no object I would try Iron Will. $$$

After they do their job the $$$$ never enter the mind again :):)

I've been shooting Muzzy MX3's at everything. Deer, turkeys, elk and had good success. Hate to say it but bottom line is if you make a good shot the broadhead really means very little. With a good shot never had a problem successfully harvesting any of these animals.

I think you must’ve had some bad luck. been shooting G5 montecs for 10 years. punched through shoulder blades on 2 bucks and have never lost an animal. probably over 20 kills over that time frame including an elk and lots of deer.

I think you must’ve had some bad luck. been shooting G5 montecs for 10 years. punched through shoulder blades on 2 bucks and have never lost an animal. probably over 20 kills over that time frame including an elk and lots of deer.

I am trying to decide if we had a bad bunch, or something. These have always been my go to broadheads, but after my coworker said he had the exact scenario I do wonder. (We actually bought them on the same day and same store) I don’t believe them to be bad heads, just thinking it’s time I expand my horizons a bit and see if there is something better for me to shoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat of looking for a new broadhead. I have used cheap (can't beat a 6 pack for $20 and cheap replacement blades) Cabelas 3 blade broadheads since I started bowhunting 13 years ago and they don't make them anymore so it's time to find a new one. They killed a ton of deer and I can't say I ever lost a deer because of the broadhead, only because of my bad shots. Looking forward to hearing what people like and don't like as well.

Top Bottom