Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for advice

risto2351

I was hoping to get some ideas from everyone on what to plant in a hunting food plot this spring. I already have three food plots that are an acre or more in size. In one half is a perennial clover etc. and in the other half is an annual brassicas, beets, rape seed etc. These are all out in the open strictly for food.

I also have two hunting plots just inside the woods planted with brassicas.
they are about 1/4 acre a piece.
I am able to access each of these with sprayer, disk, and planter.

I have a small meadow between two areas that is on the South side but access is terrible. Tried to disk it last year but the terrain is to hilly and the disk rolled. We were able to spray it to kill most of the vegetation but broadcasting on it produced very little.
I was hoping to get some suggestions on what to do. I would like to plant an annual blend to attract the deer and hunt over it during the fall and winter. The farmer already has corn, beans and alfalfa int he fields along with my other food plots. What would be the best way to prep the soil and what would be the best late season attractant to plant in these conditions.
Sorry so windy just trying to describe it so you get the idea.
Thanks for your help.
Risto

If that spot is so hilly that you are tipping equipment over, then it's also got to be HEL. It also sounds like it may be very poor ground. Whatever you do, I would think you'd want to plant it to something fairly permanent rather then an annual plot. You might still have time to frost seed some clover or birdsfoot trefoil. Red clover does better in tough situations then others and is fairly easy to frost seed.
Sounds like you better do whatever planting you need to by hand...before someone gets hurt!
bigshock.gif

Dbl.
To be honest I really did not think it would be a problem. I was able to spray
and harrow it some. Cousin then took the small disk down and came back with a twisted hitch.
shocked.gif
Maybe he is the problem.
laugh.gif

If I plant something permanent as soon as frost hits will the deer quit using it??

Risto

we planted a small like little under an acre food plot last spring. It was a mix of clover, chicory, and alfafa. The deer mowed it down before the season started! They loved it! It didn't grow real well for us, it was the dryest year the farmers in our area could remember! I can't wait to see what it looks like this year!

Clover and alfalfa should be ok until you get very hard freezes, but brassicas are better after a frost. If the area isn't really as rough and hilly as I first thought, then of course you have more options.
Small plots are most likely best planted to many of the items you already plant.
Rye is a good one for late season and can stand some grazing (fall planting).
Check out this site (if you haven't already) it may give you a few more ideas what might work for you.
http://www.maxirack.com/
Maybe you should get your cousin a crash helmet!
grin.gif

LoessHillsArcher,
Thanks for the input. I see you are a student of UNI. I work for them also.
I have my shack in N.E.Iowa and live here in C.F. Can't wait for the Turkey season.

Risto

Dbltree,
10/4 on the crach helmet.
grin.gif
He is a flatlander up at the shack. I am a flatlander that has been converted to a tree and river rat.
Thanks for the info. I will check the site out. I am also going to look for a disk that is a little wider and heavier. Might stabilize it more and dig in so it does not tip.
It is just about time to start digging.
Thanks again.
Risto

Top Bottom