Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking to purchase a tractor

droptine37

Life Member
I am in the process of trying to buy a tractor to be used on our properties for food plot purposes. I would guess we will be planting around 10 acres of plots a year along with plenty of mowing. Does anyone have any recommendations on some things that I will really need to consider when making this purchase as far as HP, transmission, loader, brand, etc.... Also, for those familiar with the farm market and tractor values, should I be shopping around for a good deal or negotiating price hard with the way things are right now? Thanks in advance!

I did exactly what you want to do. I bought a 50 hp JD (maybe a bit bigger than needed) with 4WD (some say you don't need it BUT it helps a TON!!!!). With HP- the more the better SO you open up your options for equipment and ease of use BUT you'll obviously pay more (I personally wouldn't go any lower than 35 hp).
IMO- farmers are really NOT hurting BUT I am sure you could find a reasonable deal (this is not like the housing market).
Also, consider how much implements can be. If you bought new loader you could spend several thousand. Rotary tiller & rotary mower are going to be in the thousands as well.

HOW MUCH DO YOU WANNA SPEND????

*I have a 50 HP 4wd tractor with loader, MX7 JD mower, corn/bean planter, getting a JD rotary tiller, cultipacker, 3 pt sprayer, spreader, etc. I'd say if you got used stuff there could be a price range of $7,000 to $35,000 depending on how old and how good of stuff you got. I'd throw out the price range you are thinking and others will give you a ton of input! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I’m an American so I love over kill. My dream tractor would be new 90-95 horse, MFWA, rear diff lock, 4-6 speed syncro with high/low maybe even a torque amplifier, shuttle shift (lever for forward/reverse so when you are running a loader all you have to do is clutch and flip the lever instead of shifting from 1st to reverse, time saver) enough hydraulic outlets to run at least two different cylinders out back and a loader up front, throttle pedal, 540 and 1K pto, easy service air, oil, fuel, hydraulic and tranny filters, gauge cluster that is easy to read, muffler that isn’t too noisy or in the way, category 2 three point with sway bars and no cab, I’m not a sissy.

OK, that’s my overkill dream tractor. I’d settle for 60-65 horse but with all the other features.

One thing to consider, if your plots are miles apart you may want to trailer it so be sure you get one that doesn’t require a semi sized truck to haul it.

As far as color, I got no clue. I ran a New Holland TB100 (I hope it was TB) a few weeks ago, nicest tractor I have ever driven, but then you gotta know the pieces of crap I’ve had in the past. Only knock against it was the tranny. Non-syncro 4 speed but it did have TA that I forgot to use, but no shuttle shift and the shifter was kinda, well, I just didn’t like the feel of the shifter when engaging the gear. Felt kinda “mushy”. I ground the edges off the gears before I figured out it wasn’t a synchro. But it handled very nice, comfy ride and very nice tight steering. It was a booger to see the outside wheel of the rake. I had to lean way forward or way back to see it past the ROPS. Only rolled 30 acres of hay but my neck was stiff by the time I was done.

Only loaders I have run were dual controls, I haven’t run one with a joy stick so I don’t know. Get a loader you won’t have to worry about breaking. In other words, heavy duty. Oh yeah, with quick attach bucket.

I have always been a believer in buy local so check out the local dealers first, but if they are jerks or don’t wanna deal, shop around. If you buy one you can haul you might save enough on the purchase price to more than make up the cost of hauling it.

Mower, get as big a mower as you can maneuver on your land. If you are mowing small plots then a regular sized 6-7 foot three point unit. If you are gonna do waterways or big CRP fields or large clover fields get as big a bat wing type mower as your tractor can handle. The fewer passes the less compaction, tire tracks and time.

Anyway, the sky is pretty much the limit when you’re talking tractors and implements. If there are any farm shows in your area go sit on a few. Pick up their DVDs then plunk down your money.

The ‘Bonker

I am on my 3rd one.I had 2 kubotas and now a new deer 5425 80hp.
got a good loader ...a must have.
roto tiller
disks
and some sort of planting device..drill or planter.
unless you want to broadcast.

trust me you can plant al kinds of stuff with a till or no-till drill.
I like the extra horse power.I would make sure I had a nice bush hog or mowing deck.
most of the time you have to mow first.
then spray.
here are some pics.
100_1282.jpg

here i'm planting small seeds with a no till planter.
player.swf

plant1.jpg

spray2.jpg

spray1.jpg

I agree with Skip...give us a price range, new or old that your considering and then we can be more helpful. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

More Tractors

I looked at the link dbltree posted. I saw my old IH560, which just sold at Duwa's Auction this fall. I had to part with it to make way for the new improved version, whatever that will be. One thing is for certain, it must have 3 point.

So I'm currently in the market as well and will most likely hit the local dealers.

From the little research I have been doing on the web it looks like I will be spending anywhere from 16-26k for what I think I am looking for. I guess I was looking for answers to questions like is 4wd worth an extra 5k on a tractor? How useful are loaders? Many of these questions have already been answered and I already had my ideas but I always like hearing opinions before I go and make a purchase. Thanks for the help guys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I was looking for answers to questions like is 4wd worth an extra 5k on a tractor? How useful are loaders? </div></div>

If you can afford those options you will find them more then worth it!

There are at least a zillion uses for a loader and front wheel assist will get you out of a pickle every now and then.

If you ever decide to trade or sell the resale value will be much higher/better with those options.

Can you live with out them...sure, but once you have them you'll never want to be without again. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I dont own a tractor, so take my 2 cents worth for what its worth to you.

If you can afford it the 4wd and loader are a must.

I've been told that a front wheel assist tractor that is 40hp is like a 2wd 50hp in terms of pulling.

The loader option, if your ever doing anything other than foodplots, this may become unbelievably handy around the home.

The FWD while using a loader is a big, big help. If you pick up soemthing heavy with the loader, like a disc, all the wieght is on the front tires and the rears lose traction. That, my friend, is a scarry ride. If you can avoid it don't put fluid in the rear tires. You really shouldn't need it with FWD. If you are buying used ask if there is or was fluid in the tires. If there was, be ready for extra headaches.

The 'Bonker

If you have the budget, do what feels good.

Ask yourself how many hours are you really going to use a tractor and what your comfort level is on repairs/downtime. If you are talking about a budget of $25,000, I'd rather have a $10-12,000 tractor, sprayer, a nice rotary mower, and a no-till drill.

Top Bottom